Any New Receivers Coming?

Yeah, but as long as Dish makes mpeg2 receivers, they will never get changed over to mpeg4 and rid themselves of the bandwidth of mpeg2.

because not all of us want hd, actually around 75% -80% of dish subscribers dont have hd or want it. Around 30% of those are latino customers and like 15% dont watch english channels.

Accidentally came across those stats when surfing their starbase homepage.

Dont quote me on the percentages.. but it was close.

HD or not, MPEG4 represents an improvement in efficiency. If the same lineup now was coming down in MPEG4 instead of MPEG2, everyone's picture quality would be much better.

I was really hoping there would be a way to get dual-HD outputs in the future. While it may be easier to just have a receiver at the end by each HDTV it still limits the DVR portion of each receiver. My biggest issue now, if I get two 622 or 722 receivers, is what I tape on receiver #1 can only be watched on receiver #1. I would really like to be able to watch what I taped anywhere in the house regardless if it's recorded on Receiver #1 or Receiver #2 and played out on TV1 or TV2 output of either receiver. I'm guessing it would open a patent can-of-worms, but I would pay big to have a multi-room viewing (like Tivo) with my DISH receivers.

I was really hoping there would be a way to get dual-HD outputs in the future. While it may be easier to just have a receiver at the end by each HDTV it still limits the DVR portion of each receiver. My biggest issue now, if I get two 622 or 722 receivers, is what I tape on receiver #1 can only be watched on receiver #1. I would really like to be able to watch what I taped anywhere in the house regardless if it's recorded on Receiver #1 or Receiver #2 and played out on TV1 or TV2 output of either receiver. I'm guessing it would open a patent can-of-worms, but I would pay big to have a multi-room viewing (like Tivo) with my DISH receivers.

For now the external hard drive will be your best bet. Now you can only move it 3 times between boxes. In the future we are hoping for limitless moves.

With the proper wiring diplexing and splitters, this can be done..(and proper channel modulations) i do it at my house

With the proper wiring diplexing and splitters, this can be done..(and proper channel modulations) i do it at my house

I'm Also doing this at my house using the Super Home Node

and

the PDF shows you how to wire it up.

I would also recomend getting a few extra RF remotes for each room so you can change the correct tunner on the Correct Receiver depending on how much you're going to be using this.

(Note: the Pdf shows that only TV2 is distrubuted through the house but the 622 & 722 Modulate both TV1 & TV2 through the house)

Now I dish would come up with a whole house solution I would jump on it. I believe that Voom was testing this when they went under so I don't see why it can't be done a little easier than what I've done.

Attachments

• DistributionExample6.pdf
    614.1 KB · Views: 139
I'm Also doing this at my house using the Super Home Node

and

the PDF shows you how to wire it up.

I would also recommend getting a few extra RF remotes for each room so you can change the correct tuner on the Correct Receiver depending on how much you're going to be using this.

(Note: the Pdf shows that only TV2 is distributed through the house but the 622 & 722 Modulate both TV1 & TV2 through the house)

Now I dish would come up with a whole house solution I would jump on it. I believe that Voom was testing this when they went under so I don't see why it can't be done a little easier than what I've done.

I was going to use the Super Home Node but decided to to combine the modulated and OTA antenna signal a little different. My OTA signal goes directly to three DVRs. Also the same DVRs send out agile modulated signal to all TVs (13 locations) thru out my home thru the home distribution system. Also, at each DVR location, the nearby TV can also receive the modulated out and recorded program from all DVRs. Also, have basic TV cable service going to an A/B switch if Satellite and OTA signal is not available. Everything works great. The Super Home Node is really just a splitter turned back wards.

Attachments

• DSC02223.JPG
    DSC02223.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC02281.JPG
    DSC02281.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC02257.JPG
    DSC02257.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 120
I think that E* making DLNA available on their VIP 622, 612, and 722 is a big step in the right direction for the complete home solution. This way your recordings would be shared from one receiver to another via the home network. Now the problem is that most peoples home network doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream HD media.

One way they may phase out the older MPEG-2 receivers is elimination of the 625. Many new customers now want at least one DVR when they sign up. A friend of mine switched from DirecTV to Dish last year and he requested a DVR. They sent him a 622, and at the time did not have a HDTV, nor was he interested in HD programming. When I got my 622 I was in the same boat, although now I do subscribe to HD programming.

As far as new Dish Network receivers, I don't recall hearing of anything announced. Echostar is coming out with the new OTA receivers, one of which is a DVR. Nothing new for satellite any time soon. That reassures me that they intend to stick with the current platform for awhile, unlike what they did with the 921 and the 942. Almost as soon as the 942 was released it was obsolete. At least the 622 and 722 have the same basic functionality, and I don't think they have yet tapped the full potential of those receivers.

Could someone post a picture from DISHOnline menu where is the "HD" version of movie marked or described.
I did scroll thru 439 movies on 622 yesterday and checked a few items like Transformers, but don't see any hint if it HD or SD.

Is this what you're looking for? I saw at least 5 or 6 HD movies, all for the cheap price of $6.99. :)

Attachments

• VOD722.jpg
    VOD722.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 129
I think that E* making DLNA available on their VIP 622, 612, and 722 is a big step in the right direction for the complete home solution. This way your recordings would be shared from one receiver to another via the home network. Now the problem is that most peoples home network doesn't have enough bandwidth to stream HD media.

Yep. DLNA could be the next big thing. It's basically a consortium of CE companies that have published guidelines for multimedia interoperability over wired or wireless IP networks. Their website is at Home - DLNA.

Imagine being able to watch movies, recorded on your 622, on your Playstation 3 in another room. That's just one scenario.

Echostar is a member of the DLNA Alliance, although I don't see any mention of their products on the website. That may just mean they haven't updated the website, or the E* software that makes the ViP receivers DLNA-compliant hasn't been released yet.

Of course, just because E* and other big CE hitters are in this alliance doesn't mean that anything will come of it. E* has tried a number of approaches to tackle whole-house networking, or some variation of it (such as multi-room media servers). Five years ago, HAVi was the next big thing, multimedia over 1394/firewire. And then came MoCA, multimedia over coaxial cable. Of course, there was the recent purchase of Slingbox, too.

Bottom line is that it looks like Dish Network isn't in too big of a hurry to put out a DVR with two HD outputs; they'd rather come at this in a roundabout way, depending on standards bodies or strategic acquisitions instead of an intensive engineering approach. I think this speaks volumes about their priorities but it still does offer hope that down the road we will see some seriously cool stuff coming out of our ViP receivers.

Well, according to E*, it's coming soon. I'm really looking forward to this.

What you see here is someone accessing their VIP 622 via their blu-ray player. This is a freaking brilliant use of technology. I wonder what kind of home network throughput would be required for this. Especially if it was HDTV that was being transferred over the network.

ces2008-dishtv-pioneer-dlna.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts