Any new updates soon?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

casper04

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any updates for digital boxes coming up soon. I've been hearing about new software ever since November last year. I guess its supposed to make the guide look different and also the caller ID feature will be added...
I know Tampa has already had it for almost a year... but I'm on the east coast in Flagler. I know Volusia doesn't have it yet either..
Last time I heard, it was supposed to be done Feb- Mar

i haven't heard anything but i guess i could ask!!

ETA: i've left a message for my source. if i get an answer, i' let you know casper!!

If Tampa already has it, then it must have been an atrocity before. I don't see how it can be much worse than it is now. As a TiVo owner, the GUI on the Bright House DVRs is like a repeated slap to the face. I tolerate it because TiVo's Series 3 (coupled with BHN's overpriced and problematic CableCards) is dramatically more expensive.

casper, i was never able to find out anything from one of my sources. i could ask another one, if you still need to know!!

oh it's alright.... I've been hearing about some new stuff coming down the pipe soon, probably this month so maybe it's the update.

also just heard about the boxes... I guess all of them are going to have cards (cable cards?) in them starting July 1st? (i think)

I guess it will allow ppl to buy their own equipment and just rent the card if they want to use it in our system

Has anyone else heard about this?

oh it's alright.... I've been hearing about some new stuff coming down the pipe soon, probably this month so maybe it's the update.

also just heard about the boxes... I guess all of them are going to have cards (cable cards?) in them starting July 1st? (i think)

I guess it will allow ppl to buy their own equipment and just rent the card if they want to use it in our system

Has anyone else heard about this?

I hope it is not true...at least for any area covered by bhn...a friend of mines living in nyc, has cable v, and she uses the scientific a 8300hd just like the bhn ones...but they use the cable card as a norm and man does it suck...alot longer to set up if you disconnect the box or if the power goes...errors off an on requirering a reboot to fix, and worse of them all, very slow navigation with channels and menus...again thats using the card with the box ( i asked my self) why in the hell are they using a cable card on a cable box...so stupid,i can understand satellite, but cable tv?, but yea u guys get me...again i hope they don't go around doing anything this dumb.... especially it is very annoying to deal with...well im out, peace

I guess it's a new law... so ppl can get their own equipment..

yea... I knew something gonna happen just as the service calls were dropping... can't wait.....
:(

If the result is that we consumers can purchase a product better than the crappy 8300HD boxes, then more power to the law.

The TiVo Series 3 has a variety of issues stemming from the cable industry's lack of support for CableCARD.

The cable industry could sit down with the consumer electronics industry and iron out a decent (non-CableCARD) standard in no time, but the fact is that they don't want to. Cable companies would obviously much rather rent you a box than let you purchase it. (Can anyone say "Ma Bell?")

DCAS?

"a friend of mines living in nyc, has cable v, and she uses the scientific a 8300hd just like the bhn ones...but they use the cable card as a norm"

This makes no sense...8300HD has no cable card. They might have an 8301HD or 8300CHD or whatever, but it doesn't make sense that an 8300HD both has and doesn't have a cable card. Please clarify.

"a friend of mines living in nyc, has cable v, and she uses the scientific a 8300hd just like the bhn ones...but they use the cable card as a norm"

This makes no sense...8300HD has no cable card. They might have an 8301HD or 8300CHD or whatever, but it doesn't make sense that an 8300HD both has and doesn't have a cable card. Please clarify.

lol, have you even seen a explorer 8300hd (scientific atlanta), i mean common now, it does have a card slot (by the front usb connection, duh!) lol,http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/asset/503.jpg

idk how can i say it any clearer but, i "meant" to say is...

they have the same exact box (seen it in person because i go to nyc often to visit) and they use the card with the box at the same time...and i have no idea why...maybe security reasons due to the amount of people living in nyc to prevent theft or tampering???

either way, im just saying they do use it and its stupid and makes the box slower due to it... but overall cable v (vision) is a great cable company just like bhn..besides that lil issue with the use of a card with a cable box....

OK, so how does the 8300HD I have work without a card? It makes no sense to have a box that works without a card, then you can put a card in it and suddenly it works. No, wait a minute, it was working before you put the card in -- like mine right now. Seems very puzzling why it is necessary to put a card into a box that already processes the signals.

Last edited:
yea they do have a slot for a card, but it's not a cable card it's much thinner. The reason yours is working now is because the box is owned by BHN, and it will continue working that way. All the boxes installed after July 1st will have cards installed because of some new law.

This new thing shouldn't really effect anyone unless u own a box

Last edited:
"yea they do have a slot for a card, but it's not a cable card it's much thinner."

That raises a couple of questions. (1) What is the thin slot for? (2) And are you confirming that there are 8300HD's that have a cable card slot in them and there are other 8300HD's that don't (like mine)? If so, again I say as before, it is very bad practice for SA to build two different configurations and give them the same model number. (3) is the cable card slot in the same physical location as the thin slot?

yea they do have a slot for a card, but it's not a cable card it's much thinner.

"are you confirming that there are 8300HD's that have a cable card slot in them"
No... actually complete opposite

Boxes currently don't require cards (not cable cards) for them to work in our system. After July 1st they will be included in all boxes that get installed, new or old. It will be optional for existing customers... but there's really no need for it unless u own a box.
This isn't BHN's bright idea, it's required by some new law (as far as i know)

I don't know if it gets any simpler... there's not much to it. If your an existing customer it won't change a thing

OK. Thanks for clearing that up. All of this stemmed originally from razorphreak's sentence: "...a friend of mines living in nyc, has cable v, and she uses the scientific a 8300hd just like the bhn ones...but they use the cable card as a norm and man does it suck..."

After that, I kept trying to sort out how they had an 8300HD =with= a cable card when my 8300HD did not have a cable card slot. I was saying, if that was true as was being indicated, that it was a bad practice for SA to use the same model number for a machine w/o a card slot as for a machine with a slot. Until your post, nobody with specific knowledge had confirmed that there really are no 8300HD's with a cable card slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)