Any News on MLB Channel on Dish?

bacchus101 said:
While I mostly agree with you, it would be nice to have a channel that was dedicated to big off-season events, like the winter meetings and all the hotstove stuff that has been going down over the last few days.

Yesterday, I had to watch ESPN for an hour just to see a ticker scroll with news on the Adrian Gonzalez trade, which is probably the biggest baseball news story this off-season. Obviously, during football season, generic sports channels just don't cut it for baseball junkies (although I guess there is the web...)

You waited an hour to see a scroll. When you could have gone to espn.com and gotten that info in a minute?

Don't hold your breath. Charlie doesn't like baseball and figures he has already lost everyone that wants MLB to D* anyway, so why bother?

Not necessarily, some subs got their local team(s) last year, in some cases most games were in HD.

Depending on were you live E* is still a place to go if you are ok with your local teams and
don't need a fancy sports package (or if you're ok with internet offerings like mlb.tv).

You waited an hour to see a scroll. When you could have gone to espn.com and gotten that info in a minute?

So I am assuming you don't watch sports on TV, you just wait for the games to end and check the score on espn.com? Maybe you don't watch TV at all? I mean, you can read a recap of any television series on the internet almost instantly, so why bother - right?

I actually wanted to see engaging live coverage of the trade rumors and the current winter meetings. The kind of stuff you'd see on The MLB Channel. I watched ESPN while surfing the internet reading the latest information.

Reading about something and watching it unfold live in HD with expert up to the minute analysis are two very different things...

Forget it, it ain't gonna happen. Maybe in all eternity when Charlie decides to become An hero, but until then, no-ser-ee, I think if Dish gets bought out by Cablevision (Dolan) than maybe, they can get the MLB and maybe YES as well.

They had the MLB Extra Innings package and no one signed up for it so that they were losing money on it. If the customers really wanted it they would have signed up.

The Dish MLB Extra Innings package was far inferior to other providers because Charlie was (and still is) playing hardball with MSG, YES, etc., etc. Nobody signed up because anybody that cared enough about baseball (reference my post #51) to want the package opted to sign up with D* (or cable that provided the COMPLETE package). That's why Charlie figures he's lost the hardcore baseball fans anyway, so why bother...it's entirely his fault.

Forget it, it ain't gonna happen. Maybe in all eternity when Charlie decides to become An hero, but until then, no-ser-ee, I think if Dish gets bought out by Cablevision (Dolan) than maybe, they can get the MLB and maybe YES as well.

Maybe it will happen. Just saw this today.

MLB Network Wants Dish Network, AT&T
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (December 6, 2010) -- Baseball's MLB Network says it's now available in 56 million U.S, homes and it hopes to soon reach 70 million by signing up Dish Network and AT&T.

The channel made the disclosure at an investors conference last week.

Reuters reports that officials at the baseball channel did not offer any specific dates for when they would reach agreements with Dish and AT&T. But they did say they hoped the deals would come before the start of the 2011 baseball season.

Dish's 14 million plus subscribers and AT&T's 2.7 million customers would put the network over the 70 million mark.

"There's two major players that don't have the network," said Tony Petitti, MLB's top executive. "If one of those players came in, we'd be right on top of the 70 (million) number, and if both come in we'd probably exceed it."

Petitti said his network will no longer offer an equity stake to persuade a TV provider to carry the channel, a practice the network followed in signing up DIRECTV, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox.

Maybe it will happen. Just saw this today.

MLB Network Wants Dish Network, AT&T
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (December 6, 2010) -- Baseball's MLB Network says it's now available in 56 million U.S, homes and it hopes to soon reach 70 million by signing up Dish Network and AT&T.

The channel made the disclosure at an investors conference last week.

Reuters reports that officials at the baseball channel did not offer any specific dates for when they would reach agreements with Dish and AT&T. But they did say they hoped the deals would come before the start of the 2011 baseball season.

Dish's 14 million plus subscribers and AT&T's 2.7 million customers would put the network over the 70 million mark.

"There's two major players that don't have the network," said Tony Petitti, MLB's top executive. "If one of those players came in, we'd be right on top of the 70 (million) number, and if both come in we'd probably exceed it."

Petitti said his network will no longer offer an equity stake to persuade a TV provider to carry the channel, a practice the network followed in signing up DIRECTV, Comcast, Time Warner and Cox.

lets hope they get mlb network but we will see.i wonder what charlie will want:D :)

The Dish MLB Extra Innings package was far inferior to other providers because Charlie was (and still is) playing hardball with MSG, YES, etc., etc. ...

Mind if I ask you what's the relationship between MLB Extra Innings and MSG? NY Baseball teams are carried by YES(Yankees) and SNY(Mets). Dish does carry SNY.

If Dish got extra innings wouldn't dish be able to use MLB provided feeds for missing networks like NHL center ice and NBA full court does?

I just think that if Dish had that chance to get MLB Network and EI back, I would not be surprised if Charlie (emo) Ergen said no and it's made affordable to him. He would rather just just junk Barbie Channels and other unnecessary shows on there. It's really sad and most likely, E* will go Chapter 7 and SkyAngel will take over as D*'s competitor.

Perhaps MLB is willing to dis-associate MLB Network from EI in order to pump its own carriage numbers. As I recall, the big problem was MLB's insistence that to carry The MLB Network, a provider had to sign up to offer EI, at its astronomical cost. If MLB removes that constraint, then maybe the standalone MLB Network will finally make it to Dish after all.

I just think that if Dish had that chance to get MLB Network and EI back, I would not be surprised if Charlie (emo) Ergen said no and it's made affordable to him. He would rather just just junk Barbie Channels and other unnecessary shows on there. It's really sad and most likely, E* will go Chapter 7 and SkyAngel will take over as D*'s competitor.
I do believe sky angel went chapter 7 long ago

Perhaps MLB is willing to dis-associate MLB Network from EI in order to pump its own carriage numbers. As I recall, the big problem was MLB's insistence that to carry The MLB Network, a provider had to sign up to offer EI, at its astronomical cost. If MLB removes that constraint, then maybe the standalone MLB Network will finally make it to Dish after all.

Yes, it will take a major concession on the part of MLB to get Charlie to join and taking away the EI requirement should be enough to do it. However, Charlie often marches to a different drummer, so who knows...

Mind if I ask you what's the relationship between MLB Extra Innings and MSG? NY Baseball teams are carried by YES(Yankees) and SNY(Mets). Dish does carry SNY.

I was speaking in general about Charlies's constant fights with the RSN's. The MSG reference was in connection with hockey. His dispute with them has shut out Buffalo, New York and I believe New Jersey from their 4 hockey teams. I don't know which RSN's Charlie was in dispute with (besides YES and SNY)for baseball, but his EI package was incomplete and viewers declined to subscribe or they switched to Direct, which prompted Charlie to discontinue EI.

For CI, some of the games on MSG and Comcast are available (outside New York) through the CI feeds, but never in HD. Hence, the Dish CI package is inferior to other providers like Direct that have the majority of the CI games in HD.

So basically, Charlie lets these packages deteriorate and in the case of EI, discontinues them, citing low subscribership. Fortunately, this hasn't happened (yet) to CI...

Last edited:
Well I hear that D* NHL-CI has a few more games in HD (not Canadian feeds as neither has anything but Toronto) but that alone is not enough to switch. If E* takes down my favorite sports cities RSN (Read the rest of Comcast CSN's), I will be with D* for my baseball fix in less than a few weeks.

Well I hear that D* NHL-CI has a few more games in HD (not Canadian feeds as neither has anything but Toronto) but that alone is not enough to switch. If E* takes down my favorite sports cities RSN (Read the rest of Comcast CSN's), I will be with D* for my baseball fix in less than a few weeks.

Well, unfortunately Dish has far fewer CI games in HD than D* -- probably half as many. Starting with MSG (NY Rangers, NY Islanders, Buffalo Sabres and NJ Devils) and Comcast (at least SJ Sharks -- I'm not sure how many other Comcast RSN's are affected) -- these home team broadcasts are never in HD. Plus the fact that Dish does not broadcast many HD broadcasts that are available because they don't have enough bandwidth. Apparently D* broadcasts all games in HD that are available, except Canada, which for some reason has only the SD broadcasts on CI.

It appears that MLB is very interested in trying to find some agreement with Dish on their network before the 2011 season begins

It appears that MLB is very interested in trying to find some agreement with Dish on their network before the 2011 season begins

Of vcourse they do. They want all the revenue they can get so they can channel it back to teams to pay over inflated salaries for Werth, Crawford, Jeter, etc....................

Dish used to charge a flat fee for MLB EI ($150 or so) and forward a percentage of that to MLB. Unfortunately, that changed and MLB wanted a lump sum for Dish to carry EI (some number in the tens of millions of dollars). Dish refused to do this, so no more MLB EI.

I don't really care one way or another, since MLB EI on Dish would not have Yankees / Phillies / Padres games. I'd prefer to get MLB.tv and get all the games.

I don't think that there ANY pay-tv providers who have ANY Canadian HD feeds other than NHL network. Although I did see a Wings game from a western Canada in HD the feed was FSN Detroit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts