Any problems after putting up the BUD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
I really want to expand my FTA by setting up another dish for C band.I can afford up to a 8 ft dish but worried somewhat what the town may say if they found out i have one.I know there are many big dish fans here on the forum and i would like to know if anyone has ever had any problems from a neighbor.town,city,etc on its installation.It seems that many localities have a 1 meter max for residential use!and I'm hoping that as long as the dish is fairly hidden out of site from the local road the the town wont make a stink about it.I haven't seen any BUDs in my area and adjoining towns but then maybe just hidden.This is around a $500 investment for a dish,motor,cable,etc and i would hate to see the town say take it town.PS! i live in a town with maybe 8000 pop and the area is a country setting with many large lots of 2 to many acres in size!my lot is around 3 acres.

Why not just call up the local government offices and ask? They are not the enemy. You may find out there are no zoning regulations or laws stopping you and you won't have to hide in the shadows. Good luck.

I asked first and found there was an ordinance. That can work in your favor, I believe. Comply with it to the letter of the law.

In my case I didn't want a big dish in my front yard anyway, which is what the local law mainly prohibits.

I looked up zoning regulations on our local web site and it states 1 meter antenna dish max for residential and 2 meters for commercial.I most likely will call the town about maybe a variance on the dish size .If they are very negative about this then i will have to decide to hide it the best i can and hope for the best or forget about it.

I looked up zoning regulations on our local web site and it states 1 meter antenna dish max for residential and 2 meters for commercial.I most likely will call the town about maybe a variance on the dish size .If they are very negative about this then i will have to decide to hide it the best i can and hope for the best or forget about it.

I don't think that applies to a temporary situation. Iceberg wheels out his big dish, and others have suggested mounting a big dish to a trailer and parking it where it's needed, or at least threatening to do so if you can't get a permit (the idea being that an installed dish looks much nicer and they may relent).

Don't give up too easily. There might be a way.

I wouldn't hesitate to point out the arrays of playground equipment some homeowners have, as well as trampolines, etc, plus all the basketball backboards people put in their front yards and seldom if ever use, nor the bass boats, RVs, etc. etc.

One of the BUDs I got was a 10 footer installed on a 4 1/2' pole. It barely registered in the landscape since it was so low to the ground. Below is a photo. House has since been bulldozed due to flood damage.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

IF you put one up after being denied a variance get a label from a 1 meter
dish and stick it on the dish you set up.

I don't know metric and doubt anybody else does, if someone asks show them
the 1 meter rule while acting like the dish is 1 meter. :D

I don't think I would tell the town anything. With three acres I'd do a site survey and find the spots that best suit your needs - such as view of the Arc.

I'd consider camouflage paint for the dish etc if it is hidden behind a tree or other shrubbery. The other possible thing is to hide it under thing that looks like a patio umbrella, using a thin, porous fabric like landscaping cloth. I actually saw one of those marketed years ago in Popular Mechanics magazine.

Government bureaucrats are lazy. If you tell them what you want, it will just clue them in as to what to look for. You would be better off if someone complains telling them "It's been there for years".

I agree with Lone Cloud. I use the out-of-sight, out-of-mind rule most of the time - lol ;) With all kidding aside, I think you'd be okay with the install. You could say,"It was there when I bought the house." if asked about it. In most areas, if it has been there for a few years the code will have no bearing. Also, with the latest downfall in housing, I doubt you'll have many visitors (ie. tax assessor/revaluation) as they don't want to lose money. Lastly, the more you mention it to your local government, check their website, check local laws, ask neighbors, and make it known to friends and family, the more it makes you look like you are doing something illegal - sorry not trying to be a sour puss. Just put it up and forget about it. When someone in authority ask about it, cross that bridge when its built. good luck.

I'm also leaning toward putting it up without saying anything.I don't think telling the town it was there when i bought the house will work though because we bought the land and built this house 10 years ago :D.The place i have in mind to put it will be 90+ invisible from the road and my south neighbor and i get along ok and he wont see hardly anything unless the picket fence blows down.looking around for a used one that no one needs anymore but so far no luck.The 90cm setup on the roof which is legal is much more visible than the planned 8 footer behind the house !Hoping to get the install started by early summer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)