Any reason my quality level dropped after the w5 to x4 conversion?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
I notice that some of my channel's quality levels seems to have dropped. Is this just a coincidence?

W5 & X4 are the same bird. Different channel map numbers thats all. There should be no difference in signal. Sounds like a tuning issue.

W5 & X4 are the same bird. Different channel map numbers thats all. There should be no difference in signal. Sounds like a tuning issue.

Would being on the same satellite mean a different company couldn't compress the signal more ? or do satellites only transmit with the same compressions, it really does appear to be slightly more compressed or grainier than whoever was handling the other signals. Comcast does do their own compression tweaking i think. Full-Time Satellite Transmission Services

Different companies can use different transponders on the same bird with different scrambling schemes FEC & SR. HITS is HITS W5 and X4 are one in the same the services are the same. They only have a different channel number on W5 & X4.

Different companies can use different transponders on the same bird with different scrambling schemes FEC & SR. HITS is HITS W5 and X4 are one in the same the services are the same. They only have a different channel number on W5 & X4.

Oh i was talking about the differences before the conversion from "regular" satellites over to these new guys, not neccesarily the other day when we added x4. (ie not the difference between w5 and x4, they both look alike to me)

You may want to check and see if your receiver is on the same transponder when comparing the signal and quality, channels 100 to 999 are "virtual channels" and are not tuning the same transponder. Each transponder (ie 1-24) does not have the same power levels on any dish. C-band satellites only have 24 transponders. Power levels on the uplink side vary and dish alignment, tuning, LNB, polarity are all a factor. Even a slight warp in the dish can affect signal and quality.
Even on the little dish there is a difference on each transponder.
When the new X-4 bird was mapped, they chose to leave out the channels 1-24. Did you notice that you can't even manually change to any of the channels 1-24?
If you get a pix and don't have a problem, don't worry to much.

Oh i was talking about the differences before the conversion from "regular" satellites over to these new guys, not neccesarily the other day when we added x4. (ie not the difference between w5 and x4, they both look alike to me)

Are you talking about the SAC's? There are 3, Motorola 4096, Shaw 4128, and HITS 4160. They all have there own center for authorization and deauthorization. That would have nothing to do with picture quality and signal. If your talking about a master feed such as HBO on G1 vs W5/X4 there is a difference in picture quality, signal SR & FEC. Plus the masters look the best. But they killed them for us :(

Are you talking about the SAC's? There are 3, Motorola 4096, Shaw 4128, and HITS 4160. They all have there own center for authorization and deauthorization. That would have nothing to do with picture quality and signal. If your talking about a master feed such as HBO on G1 vs W5/X4 there is a difference in picture quality, signal SR & FEC. Plus the masters look the best. But they killed them for us :(

Yes I think that's what I mean... I don't understand all these different terms, just noticed a slight quality hit lately (W5 and X4 look equally pixy) but it doesnt really bother me. Im usually watching tv on a 7 inch portable lol

A 7" tv won't show any flaws. The master feed always have the best quality. We had access to the master feed and able to subscribe to them since the beginning of c band . It is a travesty of what they force on us these days. HITS is ok but still can't compare with a master. Pizza well that a whole another discussion. DirecTV beats Dish Network. Nothing compares to C band masters.

Here's some interesting info:
The C Band HD Master Page
HD Lite The Big Lie...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)