Any Word On Setanta Sport??

jollygrunt said:
So, I guess there's no hope of getting Setanta on DISH before Saturday?

You never know... but I highly doubt it. I did email Dish and cc'd Mr. Chuckles as well noting that ITVN had added Setanta and that the reason they brought their launch date forward was the start of the Premiership season. I also made note that while I've been a Dish customer for 6 years and would prefer to give my $15 per month to Dish for Setanta that I'd have no problem giving it to ITVN if they continue to drag their feet and stall adding SSC to their lineup.

With ITVN's low capital outlay and the lack of a need for a satellite dish, etc., I made sure to reiterate to Dish that they're a low cost and easy to obtain solution for SSC and there are LOTS of people willing to make the move.

I don't know what Dish's cut of the $15 SSC charges per month would be... but I'm sure they'd rather have it than see customers giving it to ITVN or moving to DirecTV. But then again, this is Dish, so who knows?

I'll just keep hammering away at them. I'm sure David Laslo has me in his junk mail filter by now.

Just sent my weekly email too ...

told them I'd be more than happy to send them my $15 per month for the opportunity to watch the worlds most popular spectator sport. Seems a shame that so-called "minority" sports fans seem to be more of an after-thought ... Expressed my feelings that I'm sure negotiations would have been wrapped up weeks ago if this was NFL or Baseball or Basketball we were talking about.

Its nice to see that the competition (ITVN) at least realises that there are people out there who want this service ... and its reassuring to know that E* are obviously not desperate for my extra $$'s.

Told them it would be a shame if they up-linked in a few weeks and then had to pull the channel due to "low demand" because the majority of people who would have signed up are now tied into 12 month contracts with an alternative provider.

Then told them i shall be eagerly awaiting their standard "we are unable to discuss contracts that are in negotiation" reply.

:)

Keep sending them emails guys ... they can't ignore us forever can they ?

In the meantime - I am seriously considering springing for the ITVN package. Might call them and see if i can get the 30 day free trial and then pay the $99 for the equipment if i decide the quality and service and good enough. That way i can cancel service for a few months each year when the football is no longer showing - and turn it on again when the next season starts - that should pay for the equipment free and clear within a season or two :)

In the meantime - I am seriously considering springing for the ITVN package. Might call them and see if i can get the 30 day free trial and then pay the $99 for the equipment if i decide the quality and service and good enough. That way i can cancel service for a few months each year when the football is no longer showing - and turn it on again when the next season starts - that should pay for the equipment free and clear within a season or two

Actually I am hearing they have a few other programming announcements coming soon which may have you keeping the box on all year around.

BTW if Michael Schwimmer was still with Dish you can bet that we would have had Setanta by now.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually I am hearing they have a few other programming announcements coming soon which may have you keeping the box on all year around.

haha ... I've played this waiting game one time too many - I would still be without HD if i was still waiting for my perfect setup - i would still be without my new PC if i was "just waiting for the price to drop a bit more" Now you are tempting me again to wait for another announcement ... ;)

I think they certainly seem to have the drive and determination to get to where they want to be ... i like that in a company ... maybe I'll just jump for the 12 month contract .... seems to me that the season gets longer and longer each year anyway.

Plus i like the fact that they also show a few UK horse racing meetings each year too .. that's another thing i miss from home.

Psst - what did you hear ... you can tell me - i don't think anyone else is listening ... :)

Amazing what happens when you BCC Charlie Ergen on your email to Dish Network. This email made me feel a bit better about things and sounds very much in line with what the CEO of Setanta North America said. Definitely not the generic email that good ol' David Laslo sends me. :)

Oh yeah, and Scott... feel free to tell us what ITVN might be offering soon to keep us around all year. We know that only the football fans are reading this thread anyway. It'll be like a pub secret for us. :)

------------------------------------------------

Subject: FW: Setanta Sports
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:52:30 -0600
To: EvilEuro

EvilEuro,

Charlie has sent your email on to me as I am in charge of Programming at Dish Network. We are indeed in negotiations with Setanta now. I am mindful of the approaching onset of the EPL and ECL seasons and we have had substantive discussions for several weeks in preparation. I hope to have good news for you soon, but we still have major issues to tackle. Today, the outcome is still uncertain.

Thanks very much for being a Dish subscriber over the past 6 years and feel free to email directly about status.

Eric Sahl
SVP - Programming

A friend sent me this earlier today ...

From soccerTV.com email:

Quote:
Setanta Sports and DirecTV have an agreement to open
up DirecTV Channel 670 for Setanta Extra,
starting September 16, to allow Setanta to offer 2
live EPL matches simultaneously on Saturdays
usually at 10am ET. Setanta Extra is included with
the monthly subscription for Setanta Sports USA.

The monthly subscription fee for
Setanta Sports USA will rise to $14.99 in September.

Setanta Sports USA is now available via ITVN,
a company that delivers
Internet Protocol Television (IPTV).
A broadband Internet connection,
plus a paid monthly or annual subscription that
includes a set-top box from ITVN, are required
to receive Setanta Sports USA. Note that ITVN will
NOT offer Setanta Extra.

:arrow: That now means 3 live games on a Saturday at 10am with one on FSC.

Evil Euro, what is the email address you have for Charlie? I just sent my email to ceo@dishnetwork.com a few weeks ago. What are the other addresses?

What in the hell was FSC thinking in giving away rights to the best matches? Sure they are doing this in conjunction with Setanta, but giving them the best matches is just stupid. I don't care if the best team being offered is Newcastle. Dish better move their ass on this!!!

In regaurds to the ITVN deal. Is the equipment free and can I get just Setanta for $15 per month, or do I have to order other channels as well?

mr_snerdly said:
In regaurds to the ITVN deal. Is the equipment free and can I get just Setanta for $15 per month, or do I have to order other channels as well?

As long as you commit to a 12 month contract .. yes - the equipment is free (there is a shipping fee ) .. all you need to pay is the $15 per month for the service.

EvilEuro said:
Amazing what happens when you BCC Charlie Ergen on your email to Dish Network. This email made me feel a bit better about things and sounds very much in line with what the CEO of Setanta North America said. Definitely not the generic email that good ol' David Laslo sends me. :)

Oh yeah, and Scott... feel free to tell us what ITVN might be offering soon to keep us around all year. We know that only the football fans are reading this thread anyway. It'll be like a pub secret for us. :)

------------------------------------------------

Subject: FW: Setanta Sports
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:52:30 -0600
To: EvilEuro

EvilEuro,

Charlie has sent your email on to me as I am in charge of Programming at Dish Network. We are indeed in negotiations with Setanta now. I am mindful of the approaching onset of the EPL and ECL seasons and we have had substantive discussions for several weeks in preparation. I hope to have good news for you soon, but we still have major issues to tackle. Today, the outcome is still uncertain.

Thanks very much for being a Dish subscriber over the past 6 years and feel free to email directly about status.

Eric Sahl
SVP - Programming

Kudos to you. I wish I got a similar personalized message for us but nothing like what you just received. :)

I've sent quite a few emails to various departments at DISH Network and they always give us the canned response. To be honest with you guys, I don't think it's close to coming yet. If Setanta was to come soon, there'd be some buzz at marketing and various depts. within DISH. I haven't seen any at all. So I don't think it'll come in for the start of the season but it may come soon, just not this week.

mr_snerdly said:
Evil Euro, what is the email address you have for Charlie? I just sent my email to ceo@dishnetwork.com a few weeks ago. What are the other addresses?

What in the hell was FSC thinking in giving away rights to the best matches? Sure they are doing this in conjunction with Setanta, but giving them the best matches is just stupid. I don't care if the best team being offered is Newcastle. Dish better move their ass on this!!!

You know, even if it's just "temporary" you can also just buy the receiver ($99) and then you're not locked in to ITVN for a year. Even if it's not til the end of the year your sub fees for Setanta only + the $99 still comes out to less than the EPL PPV package from last year ($299) and you can always cancel ITVN at any time that way should Dish add the channel.

As for Chuckie's email address, I just went by "standard" email naming convention of firstname.lastname@domain.com and voila! Same works for Eric Sahl, the Senior VP whom Chuck forwarded my request on to.

It looks like Eric is the person most truly in charge of adding Setanta or not, so I would suggest that any emails be written to him and to be courteous but passionate about stating your desire to see Setanta added.

BTW... if anyone has been wanting to write but has yet to write because they weren't sure what to write, how to approach this, etc., the following was the missive I fired off yesterday that was also sent to Charlie and eventually to Eric Sahl.

I do not suggest cutting and pasting because no one wants to see the same email coming in over and over again, plus, I hate cut and paste email campaigns. It's just an example of what to possibly write about because your reasons for writing might be different from mine.

You might want Setanta for their Gaelic Games coverage, their live Aussie Rules stuff or their plethora of rugby offerings on top of or exclusive of their football coverage. Whatever your reasons, feel free to continue firing off emails to Dish.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 4:30 AM
To: CEO
Subject: Setanta Sports

Dear Dish Network,

I have written to you multiple times over the past few months with regards to adding Setanta Sports Channel. (SSC) As per usual, I received a form letter back each time stating that Dish Network is looking into the adding the channel but can comment no further on pending discussions with programmers.

I am fine with this stance, but with the English Premier League beginning this weekend and European Champions League football starting in September, I would like to reiterate my request to add SSC in a most expedient manner. Also, SSC will be showing a majority of the Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea matches during the year. Those are matches I will not see on Fox Soccer Channel and can see ONLY on SSC. I would like to see those matches.

While I have no interest in switching to DirecTV to acquire SSC there is now another option to view the channel where there is an inexpensive capital outlay as SSC has reached a carriage agreement with ITVN, an internet television provider. ITVN was not supposed to add SSC until the middle of September but instead moved the announcement and carriage start date up to this week to coincide with the start of the English Premier League season.

I really do not want to have to give my dollars to another provider for the express purpose of receiving this single channel, but ITVN's offer is tempting and the low capital outlay makes hooking up with them for SSC a tempting offer.

I have been a Dish Network subscriber for the past six years, most of the time quite happy with your service. If I am going to shell out $15 per month for SSC, I would prefer to give that money to Dish Network than another company. However, if Dish Network is not willing to add SSC then I will have no choice than to take my business to another company for this channel.

Please, don't make me and others take our money elsewhere. Please offer SSC to your subscribers as soon as possible. I and many others would be very grateful to you for bringing this channel to us.

EvilEuro

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was watching Setanta last night on ITVN and I believe they had a Coca Cola Championchip game on.

Yup, they've got that, they've got the SPL (Scotish Premier League), the Dutch Eredivisie, French League 1 and a bunch of other football.

If you were up really early this morning, around 330AM back east, you could've watched some Tri-Nations Rugby. Or that might be tonite. But I know Tri-Nations rugby is there as well as Super 14 and Six Nations. Basically, all the rugby that Fox Sports World used to offer.

It's a pretty damned good channel, especially since Fox went all-soccer last year.

Well - I have no doubt in my mind that dish will announce the lauch of Setanta on September 23rd. This will be exactly 31 days after I install ITVN and the day after my 12 month contract kicks in.

I am going to break down and order the service from ITVN on Monday am and pay for the two day shipping so that I can have it here and hooked up for the Wednesday night Manchester United Match.

Sorry Dish ... I was more than happy to send my $$'s to you ... but you are obviously not hurting all that bad for my money.

:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)