Any Word On Setanta Sport??

Gosh, it's only a day away until Man. United play Fulham. No replays on FSC so I guess I'll just have to tune into Fox Sports World to catch the highlights. No Setanta is ruining my Saturday. :(

Last edited:
EvilEuro said:
Yup, they've got that, they've got the SPL (Scotish Premier League), the Dutch Eredivisie, French League 1 and a bunch of other football.

If you were up really early this morning, around 330AM back east, you could've watched some Tri-Nations Rugby. Or that might be tonite. But I know Tri-Nations rugby is there as well as Super 14 and Six Nations. Basically, all the rugby that Fox Sports World used to offer.

It's a pretty damned good channel, especially since Fox went all-soccer last year.

This channel was one of my favorites until they lost / got rid of Bundesliga coverage. While I will probably keep it for Champions League coverage it really lost a lot of it's appeal to me. I guess most people in the US are most interested in the EPL.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Does ITVN offer DVR capability since it's Internet-based and all?
Not on this channel, however it could be something they do in the future, like they are doing for the Lacross channel, where all games are made into VOD so you can watch them on demand later on (and have the ability to pause, rewind, fastforard, etc. :)

The price hike on D* is confirmed (Sept. 1)

yaz96 said:
The channel will probably be going up to $15.00/month for everyone, in mid-September. This from an interview with a Setanta on Sirius/Podcast Show: World Soccer Daily.

As of Sept. 1 the price for Setanta on D* is going up by $3 (to $14.99) - this is from my monthly statement.

I really don't understand you guys.

You are scrambling to get Setanta Sports. You are a Dish Network sub. Yet you whine about why it's impossible to switch to DirecTV. You even ponder the possibility of watch Setanta over your broadband (ITVN).

Yet Setanta can be had a la carte, with just a monthly subscription fee, no commitment, etc. Yet people are making all kind of excuses of not getting it from Globecast. Yep, I've heard of 98378503 excuses why they cannot and must not get Setanta from Globecast, that it must be from Dish Network.

1) I have a 12-month contract with Dish Network
As far as I know, there is no American law prohibiting one from subbing 2 satellite services. And your sub to Globecast is only for 1 channel, nothing else.

2) My landlord doesn't allow satellite TV
Yet your landlord allows you to have Dish Network. What a smart excuse!!!

3) Having an extra dish make the house ugly
So you would rather see your house as "non-ugly" than the actual action of Man U X Fulham? what a fan!!!

4) Having an extra subscription make me pay 2 bills
So, you would rather save the time of paying another bill (probably in less than 1 minute; my wife used automatic transfer) than watch Man U X Fulham? what a fan!!!!

5) I don't mind paying for the EPL PPV, but I don't want to pay the extra cost of buying/subbing another satellite
So you are willing to pay ~$300 for EPL PPV. A Globecast system can be had cheap (around $100) if you get a used one from EBay. I got mine used locally for $65. This is with the card. Used equipment of Globecast + annual subscriptions is even cheaper than last year's EPL PPV package. And we are talking about a channel with EPL, Champions League, Ligue 1, EreDivisie, lots of European internationals, including Euro 08 quals. Yet you would rather spend $300 for PPV but not a less amount for more content. You aren't very smart in following Euro football...

6) Globecast doesn't offer DVR like Dish does
So because you can't record the game on a DVR, you would rather skip Man U X Fulham? You mean you never heard of these recording devices: VCR? PC capture card with DVR software? So old technology (VCR) is beyond you, new technology (PC-based DVR) is also beyond you. Only Dish Network's DVR is your technology? what a fan!!!

So, are there any more innovative excuses? let's hear them.

Last edited:
Reasons are very simple ..

1. Globecast = $180 + second dish (try telling my wife it isn't ugly)
2. ITVN = $100 or zero + 12 month contract.
3. Wait for Dish to do the deal ..
4. Get direct.

All comes down to how bad people want it though - you are correct with that assumption.

Personally for me - globe-cast cost too much for the sake of one channel.

Dish could activate tomorrow or they could activate next year - who knows ..

Direct had their chance at my $$'s but blew it.

So this left me with ITVN ...

I ordered ITVN ... i have a 30 day trial ... (if Dish up-link within the next 30 days will probably send it back .. if not i will be quite happy to stick with ITVN for 12 months)

I have the bandwidth available - i am reasonably sure that it will work as i need it to work .. and i am comfortable with the decision I have made .. that does not mean that I can't have a dig at Dish for not providing a service that there is obviously a demand for ... in a timely manner .. they have been in negotiations for long enough to get a deal signed. The deal will be signed eventually ... they are just fighting over $$'s and/or details right now I'm sure.

As you say - if someone wanted it bad enough - they would have dome something about it .. many people did .. but we can still complain that the easiest option that would have been available to us was a decision that was taken out of our hands by Dish being to stubborn to get the deal done before the season started.

As things stand right now - its likely that Dish have lost almost $200 of my entertainment budget this year because they were dragging their feet ..

Either way - I get my football ... setanta get a new customer and my wife does not complain that the second dish makes the house look ugly ;)
If i did not have a decent internet connection though - I would be pretty stuck .. as I don't have the knowledge (or patience) to install a second dish ... and i can't see that it would be worth the $180 for a system + $125 for the installation .. well - I can see why it is worth it - but i doubt my wife would see why it is worth it ...

:)

Last edited:
jokeworm said:
Reasons are very simple ..

1. Globecast = $180 + second dish (try telling my wife it isn't ugly)
2. ITVN = $100 or zero + 12 month contract.
3. Wait for Dish to do the deal ..
4. Get direct.

All comes down to how bad people want it though - you are correct with that assumption.

Personally for me - globe-cast cost too much for the sake of one channel.

For the sake of one channel, no sane person would buy the $180 Globecast brand new equipment! Again, that's a very piss poor excuse for not doing any research for $60 used Globecast equipment. Of course, such research should be done months before the EPL season began. I did mine last summer, in July 2005, at least 1.5 months before the Champions League season began (I bought it last year mainly for the Champions League and Europe's World Cup quals).

And no "non-ugliness" of the house can compensate the beautiful sightings of Chelsea beating up other pretenders in the Premiership... Of course, that's my personal perspective because I am a diehard fan. People who don't want Setanta USA on TV because they don't want the house to be ugly can't call themselves that.

you can hardly call man city "pretenders" now can ya ;)

but again - even if i did manage to find second hand equipment (though where I would even begin to look I have no idea) I would then also need installation for $120 .. still a big cost to try and justify to a better half who seems to think that its more important to have a dishwasher that works ... i'll never understand women ...

:)

I guess those that can - did ... those that can't will continue to complain ... and the world will continue to spin and Chealski will buy yet another premiership title, and the rest of us will be happy with second again.

I sent an email to ceo@dishnetwork.com and ceoofdishnetwork.com to inquire about Setanta, and a David Laslo sent the following. Is Laslo who everyone complains about when it comes to form letters?

Mr. McCleary,

Thank you for your email. We continue to look at adding Setanta Sports Channel to our lineup. However, we have not been able to reach a fair deal for both parties. I apologize if this causes any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

David Laslo

CEO Escalations

David.laslo@echostar.com

Another website got in touch with someone at Setanta and the Setanta rep suggests every time we email Dish on this matter, to CC Setanta at sschannel@setanta.com

This delay is really starting to piss me off. FSC is useless now. Who wants to watch the likes of Fulham and Reading all season?

This is just getting pathetic now. Below is the email that a Setanta Rep sent me:

Hi Patrick,

I know there are a lot of other customers who feel the same way that you do. I really hope we get something worked out soon, but there are no guarantees. I'd like to give you more specific information, but I don't have anything to tell you aside from what I have done. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Jessica

I got tired of waiting and got one of the ITVN boxes .. frankly - i'm glad i did .. the more i think about it - the more comfortable i am with my decision ...

1. If my satellite ever goes down - i will have the ITVN box as backup ..
2. They are adding more and more programming options to the lineup ...
3. I pay them the same i would pay dish for the service .. but i have the option of getting "extra" channels that are not available on dish ...
4. Quality is almost as good as dish SD ...
5. I don't need an extra satellite dish (as i would if i went with globecast)
6. Installation was simple.
7. Support is based in the USA and is friendly and does not read from a script.
8. I no longer have to come here to this thread and complain about Dish not adding the service to its lineup.
9. I am sat at home watching the soccer I want to watch because I now have Setanta !!

From another forum:

"I e-mailed Setanta and asked if they could tell me what the sticking points in the negotiations were and got the following response:"

"I honestly don't know what the sticking points are with Dish. I believe that we should know by the middle of Sept if the deal is a go or not. Sorry to leave you hanging, but that is as specific as I can be!"

Directv will begin charging $15 per month starting Sept. 15. Hopefully this is the day that Dish Network gets it!

World Football fans you should watch Gol TV. They have 12 live matches this weekend starting with two Bundesliga matches and moving west as the day goes on. Almost every weekday they also have at least one live match. Gol is definately tops for me, now if only Dish would give them a full time HD channel.

This is the reply I just recieved from Eric Sahl about Setanta:

"We are still negotiating and making progress but not there yet, probably a few more weeks."

It looks like it is going to happen. It is just a matter of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)