Anybody have this problem???

betsig250

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Yesterday I was trying to watch my HD version of ABC last night. I am in the Grand Rapids, MI area. Anyways, I couldn't get it to tune in. If I type in the channel number, the channel I was currently on would freeze. There was no way I could watch the channel. This was during Alias last night. Then I decided I would just watch the episode of Lost that I recorded earlier, well there wasn't a recording. It just asked me if I wanted to delete the program or not. I deleted it since there was nothing there. Then I decided to watch the episode of Blind Justice that I recorded the previous day. It took forever to come up and when it did start playing, it was very jerky and was not watchable. It looked like how a dvd is when it is dirty and trying to play. Well I deleted that program and wolla my HD ABC station now comes in..

Any idea on what happened here and if it is hardware related or if it was just a fluke that a bad recording could lock me out of a channel?

My box locks up like that from time to time also. I usually unplug it to resolve the issue, the only problem with that is you lose the schedule (at least if you shutdown during a lockup) and it has to download again which takes a while.

Helps to say which box.

Yeah, that 6412 has given and still gives me trouble as described in a prior post: :mad: I loose the HD version of my FOX affiliate (it actually displays in SD) after a few days and have to exchange the STB. All is OK for a while, then, I lose it again. I have swapped boxes 4 times for this issue and Comcast says "?"

Channel Freeze

betsig250 said:
Yesterday I was trying to watch my HD version of ABC last night. I am in the Grand Rapids, MI area. Anyways, I couldn't get it to tune in. If I type in the channel number, the channel I was currently on would freeze. There was no way I could watch the channel. This was during Alias last night. Then I decided I would just watch the episode of Lost that I recorded earlier, well there wasn't a recording. It just asked me if I wanted to delete the program or not. I deleted it since there was nothing there. Then I decided to watch the episode of Blind Justice that I recorded the previous day. It took forever to come up and when it did start playing, it was very jerky and was not watchable. It looked like how a dvd is when it is dirty and trying to play. Well I deleted that program and wolla my HD ABC station now comes in..

Any idea on what happened here and if it is hardware related or if it was just a fluke that a bad recording could lock me out of a channel?

Hi fellow Motorola DCT-6412 sufferer,

Judging by the 3 problems you mentioned, I would say that you must have the infamous Motorola DCT-6412 (AKA piece of !@#$%^&ing poop!). I have experienced all 3 problems that you mentioned (and more). Issue one has nothing to do with the DCT-6412. I had it also when I tried to tune to our local (High Def Public Television Affiliate Maryland Public Television). What ever channel you are tuning from will freeze I noticed that this also happened on my other 2 STBs (non DVRs but Motorola HD boxes as well). I think it is just that the signal is not being sent from Comcast for the station (because I can get it using the Voom STB and off air antenna). For me, it just cleared up one fine day on the 6412 as well as the other 2 Motorola HD STBs. The failure to record by the 6412 followed by the asking if you want to delete what was not really even recorded has happened to me and others too. I read that it is not advisable to record a series (others wrote that they can do it without problem though). My worse outcomes seem to occur if I am already watching something and decide to record it. I get that same choppy recording that you are complaining about where the video changes between slow motion, no motion and occasionally (rarely) normal motion and the sound is also off and on. When setting the recording ahead of time, I also find that it gives you good quality for half a one hour episode then becomes choppy and then terminates altogether (especially TNTHD for some reason.....probably because I have recorded more shows on TNTHD so "n" is large). My friend in DC is about to get his third DCT-6412 and his second is better than mine (which is my first but won't be here for long). I only wonder if Comcast just recycles the dud 6412's to new customers or even to customers trying to get a second or third one (to get one that that works).
Wayne

ABC Issues, Recording Alias and Lost

I have had the 6412 since Januray and had sime minor hiccups with ABC. My Comcast contact said there have been issues serving the ABC content in a few markets. Something about being one of the last stations they added and feed issues from one to the other. I had audio drop outs and picture would go back and forth from HD to SD. After 2 months, they worked out the issues and no more video or audio problems.

In respect to the guide, there is an overalp issue between "Alias" and "Lost" which causes teh recording problems. I have always used Series Recording, and these are the only shows I have problems with. This seems to be a common problem with these shows, since they are causing guide and recording issues for several people. To resolve this issue, I leave the Series Recording for "Lost", then in the recording options I change it to record one hour later. I jump ahead as many weeks as possible and manually set the series recording for "Lost" to record an additional hour. Since I have taken these actions, I no longer have any problems.

By the way, I also check my recording schedule for the week every SUnday. That way I ensure that the box will record what I want to see.

I hope this helps. . .

Sound Issues on ABC Driving Me Nuts Tonight

Anybody getting this issue? I am getting a lot of noise that sounds like the left speaker is ratteling or blown. My speakers are brand new and this has me worried. I have to turn the sound on really loud as well. They odd thing is I do not experience or hear these noises on any other channels.

If anybody is dealing with this please let em know. . .

Thanks!

This has happened to me a couple of times and I have the SA Explorer 8000. The HD works perfect but I went into ondemand and later the box's menu and then it shut off and rebooted. It works all the time but the 2 instances that it occured it was just aggrivating.