Anybody know how many DTV receivers they allow on 1 account?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Will the R22's lose HD programing if you get rid of the HD receiver?
yes. The R22 to have HD on it requires a "legit" HD receiver on the account (HR or H). Believe me..been there tired that (HD with just the R22)

What concerns me more though about your 2DVR's and HD receivers is all the satellite dishes you have.
Do you see lots of helicopters fly over head and see black SUV's driving by your house?

nope :) only have 4 dishes that are visible :)

Well the Directv audit team aka Signal Integrity as been alerted notified of this thread. Having directv service in Canada is illegal and you were stupid enough to say Canada in front of multiple Directv Employees.

Note to all Canadians just dont mention Canada common sense here people.

I don't get why it is illegal (I know it is not D*'s doing as I am sure they could really care less where there service goes but they they still have to control it).

However, how will they be able to track it down from the information in this thread?
(just a question of curiosity)

I don't get why it is illegal (I know it is not D*'s doing as I am sure they could really care less where there service goes but they they still have to control it).

However, how will they be able to track it down from the information in this thread?
(just a question of curiosity)

DTV has strong anti canada stance. Also the CRTC the canadian FCC says they are not allowed to have foreign satellite services.

They can if they wanted to but in all honesty they would have to send a legal letter to Scott on how he letter to fork over the ip address, then go after the isp then send the letter to the customer of the isp being used. But most likely what they will do is start lurking this board till the canadians learn to shut up about being in canada or they catch them .

Yeah, I knew they could go after IP's but I you answered what I was fishing for.

I was wondering if the admins would willing fork over an IP if just asked or if they would make D* go through legal channels first.

I used to run a 35k member message forum and it is pretty difficult to sopena IP's.
We would naturally willing give it to anyone if it ever had to do with some sort of gross misconduct that we strongly disagreed with (like some guy admitting to murder, rape, sexual abuse etc) but not if it was something that was just illegal but pertained to the forum (i.e. it was an automotive forum so we wouldn't willing turn over an IP for illegal racing). Luckily we never had to cross that road. We were asked a few times for non serious things but always replied "we will gladly give you the information when we see a court sopena" and never heard back.

Well the Directv audit team aka Signal Integrity as been alerted notified of this thread. Having directv service in Canada is illegal and you were stupid enough to say Canada in front of multiple Directv Employees.

Note to all Canadians just dont mention Canada common sense here people.

I agree with you stonecold that this guy/gal should be more careful, but it almost comes across as if you would like to see this guy/gal in trouble? How do you know anybody has been alerted to the post? Did you notify them? Forgive me but it almost sounds like it. What has this poor soul ever done to you? Are you some high and mighty self righteous guy or what?
What`s it to you where the guy is located? Sounds like he is paying for the service, nowhere did he/she say that receivers are not in one location, atleast by my reading. I thought it was a interesting question, how many receivers each provider allows.

Its really like signal theft or acct stacking; its likely a subject that people shouldn't talk about knowing its illegal; really. So why condone it? No need busting the chops of those that prefer not to break laws and seeing how doing so ultimately costs EVERYONE more money in the long run.

It is illegal because the CRTC outlawed decryption of content that isn't approved for Canadian distribution by the CRTC. Because all DIRECTV (and DISH Network) content is encrypted and almost none of it is approved for use in Canada, receiving either is a violation of Canadian national law.

I was suprised to learn that the US HBO and Cinemax channels are still not allowed in Canada. HBO had to make a special channel (HBO Canada) with Canadian-originated programming to satisfy the CRTC regulations.

Just last week the CRTC banned playing Dire Straits' Money for Nothing on Canadian radio because the lyrics include the word "faggot".

I agree with you stonecold that this guy/gal should be more careful, but it almost comes across as if you would like to see this guy/gal in trouble? How do you know anybody has been alerted to the post? Did you notify them? Forgive me but it almost sounds like it. What has this poor soul ever done to you? Are you some high and mighty self righteous guy or what?
What`s it to you where the guy is located? Sounds like he is paying for the service, nowhere did he/she say that receivers are not in one location, atleast by my reading. I thought it was a interesting question, how many receivers each provider allows.

Yes when people break the law and dtv policies yeah I tend to not like them sorry. Frankly everyone here can bash DTV and I would not take offense the only moderation I ever request here the Canadians who looking or actively breaking the law by moderating them it saves me from having to fill out a form and sending it in to our audit team.

All I am saying if Canadians would shut up about being Canadian then there would be no trouble.

It is illegal because the CRTC outlawed decryption of content that isn't approved for Canadian distribution by the CRTC. Because all DIRECTV (and DISH Network) content is encrypted and almost none of it is approved for use in Canada, receiving either is a violation of Canadian national law.

I was suprised to learn that the US HBO and Cinemax channels are still not allowed in Canada. HBO had to make a special channel (HBO Canada) with Canadian-originated programming to satisfy the CRTC regulations.

Just last week the CRTC banned playing Dire Straits' Money for Nothing on Canadian radio because the lyrics include the word "faggot".

Makes me proud to be an American

Last edited:
Wouldn't the audit team contact him just for having Directv service in Canada.

Last I knew D* forbids their service in Canada.

I am sure if they knew who he was, they would contact and terminate service.

I just find it hard to believe though that they would put a lot of effort in to it as long as they were getting paid and could claim they were unaware.

So, if you have a phone line attached with a Canadian number or get you bill mailed to a Canadian address, I am sure it throws up red flags they are required to action against.
You post up your personal information and say you have service in Canada then they need to take action.

I agree with Stonecold though.
No matter if they can track you down or not, it is much wiser to not admit illegal activity on the internet.

Last I knew D* forbids their service in Canada.
DIRECTV doesn't forbid service in Canada; Canada forbids you to receive DIRECTV in Canada.

For their part, DIRECTV simply requires that you be residing in the US as a condition of subscription and that you keep them apprised of your current and accurate address of residence.

Here is all they say:
DIRECTV Residential Customer Agreement said:
We do not provide Service to addresses outside of the United States.

DIRECTV doesn't forbid service in Canada; Canada forbids you to receive DIRECTV in Canada.

For their part, DIRECTV simply requires that you be residing in the US as a condition of subscription and that you keep them apprised of your current and accurate address of residence.

Here is all they say:
OK and whats your point? That D* says its ok with them?

Sure doesn't look like it.
I bet way more could be dug up on what D* wants.

If Canada doesn't want D* a or D* doesn't want Canada what difference does it make. Its against the Terms of service.

Here is all they say:

Yes we do forbid service in Canada

I think that is semantics; that fact is they are forbidden to do it by law so in turn they forbid it to customers. AND it can get you a hefty fine and / or some time from the CAN authorities. So its the same end result. It IS illegal; so no real need to argue over it or to be discussing it IMHO.

"We are prohibited by law from offering" is decidedly different from "DIRECTV forbids".

In our internal reference system, we forbid service out side the united states. This is for Directv US not for dtv latin america or pr as an example are different companies.

Frankly we forbid it as it causes a support night mare and even if it was not against the law in canada we would not allow it, a new company would be made to deal with Canada .

End of subject someone close this thread.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)