Anybody own a VIZIO VP50 plasma?

I've seen good comments on them, people seem happy for the price. In that price range you can get a 42" 1080p (pz80u)panasonic or a 50" 720p (px80u) panasonic from Amazon (current gen).

Is it even possible to get one of those things calibrated properly to fix the horrible color push I see in the stores? If so tack on another 150 bucks per input to your budget.

I dunno about the vizio, but my Panasonic is not near as bad as my earlier hdtv's. It is going to cost me $400 next month for an ISF Calibration.

I dunno about the vizio, but my Panasonic is not near as bad as my earlier hdtv's. It is going to cost me $400 next month for an ISF Calibration.
I hate this HDTV market. You know, when you buy a new car its in tip top running condition, you do not have to take it for a tune up. What a scam.

If you buy a Vizio and need service walmart won't do sqaut for you. If you spend the few extra bucks, and buy from a reputable retailer who offers service after the sale you might be better off. Personally and rather spend 2 to 300 hundred more a buy a name brand set.

I hate this HDTV market. You know, when you buy a new car its in tip top running condition, you do not have to take it for a tune up. What a scam.

lol. But you need to see what a hdtv is SUPPOSE to look like!!!

I highly recommend professional calibration.

I do agree with him, everything you buy now either needs a "tune up" or constantg firmware updates.

The Bluray DVE did a great job for my Panasonic, but a grayscale calibration is one of the things you need a isf tech for to improve the pq even more.

I have one that I got under $1000 as damaged from Wal-Mart.
I tweaked the color just a bit as Custom and am quite happy with it.
The first week or two I just stared at nothing but HD channels in amazement.
If you want perfection you'll need to spend more.

unfortunately you are right. The point I was making is it shouldnt be that way when you spend thousands on these Tv's.

I totally agree. That would be nice to just get a tv and tweak the back light according to the light of the room.

you by a a$ 50K grand piano, you would not think twice about getting it tuned in your home.

You buy a $1500 TV and expect it to be flawless ???

you by a a$ 50K grand piano, you would not think twice about getting it tuned in your home.

Nope, and there is a definite value to your service.

However, I do believe that people have the right to expect better than they are getting. I understand the need to have a default mode be extremely hot to compete on the floor (or the wall these days) of BB.

My complaint is that the sets have 4ish picture modes and not one of them is even in the right county. The last set I looked at had 3 of the modes set with contrast at 100 %, minor variations on brightness, all above 50%, color saturation and sharpness all cranked up as well. The lone exception was "movie" mode where contrast was a mear 70%, and it did actually set the color temp to "warm".

To be fair, the better Sonys have a setting that is kind of close and I am sure some of the other better sets do as well. The vast majority of the consumer grade sets do not have any reasonable mode at all.

The end result is that the sets that are most likely to get calibrated are the ones that need it least.

yes I buy a 20K automobile and expect that it does not need a tuneup when brand spanking new. It should NOT need a mechanic to tune it up. It operates to the best of its ability and so should a 5k TV, or a 200 dollar weedwacker. :rolleyes:

one thing i noticed with the plasma's is they are hot
i've been trying to read as much as i can about HDTV things but when i compared the heat put off by the plasma ( and this was the vizio 32" & 42" plasma's) to the LCD.

of course a wall mounted plasms might fair better ( where the air flow isn't restricted) than trying to place one inside a console.

Well, I brought the TV home on Monday. I can't believe how much better a picture it has over the Vizio 37 inch LCD that I upgraded from. And I thought that the 37 had a great picture. So far, I'm quite pleased with the purchase.