Anybody switch to Entertainment Package and keep free HD??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
This is confusing me. I figured for the summer I'd save some money and drop to Entertainment package. The only channels I'd "miss" would be VH1 Classic, GAC, MLB Net and FSN. But with the Twins sucking FSN doesnt get turned on :)

Have free HD from when all you needed was auto pay and was told a few months ago I could switch and keep free HD. So I called and spoke to a rep who first said "yes all you need is auto pay" then after checking says "no you need at least Choice to keep it"

So what one is it?

Anybody change to Entertainment recently and keep their free HD?
(yeah I know I can't go back to Xtra Classic but I understand that)

I think the minimum programming level is Choice.

No. Directv told me I could downgrade and not lose free he so I did and then found my free hd was gone. They made me switch back to get free hd again and then charged me partial month hd fee even though they told me the wrong thing.

Too bad the rest of us have to pay $10 a month for HD; you know, the subs that have been with D* for 12 years, have subbed to their premier, choice plus, and other top packages, and still get screwed with having to pay for HD, while others who are newer can enjoy the benefits. I love subsidizing all the newbies just because I've been one of D*'s "best customers over the years", as they claim. Thanks again D*!

Too bad the rest of us have to pay $10 a month for HD; you know, the subs that have been with D* for 12 years, have subbed to their premier, choice plus, and other top packages, and still get screwed with having to pay for HD, while others who are newer can enjoy the benefits. I love subsidizing all the newbies just because I've been one of D*'s "best customers over the years", as they claim. Thanks again D*!
We all have been subbing for just as long and get free HD. I have been with them for over 10 years and I have free HD

We all have been subbing for just as long and get free HD. I have been with them for over 10 years and I have free HD
Maybe I'm just naive, but just how do you do that? I was not aware that I could get free HD. Do I need to call, because I know I am definitely getting charged a fee.

Maybe I'm just naive, but just how do you do that? I was not aware that I could get free HD. Do I need to call, because I know I am definitely getting charged a fee.
I don' think they are offering it anymore. About 2 years ago when they offered free HD to new subs they allowed existing subs whom have choice and higher with paperless billing to get 2 years of free HD. You had to call and ask for it.

Reading in a bunch of places, getting free HD now is a crap shoot. Some seem to have no problem starting it now, others can't get past go. Pretty typical of a 'deal' with Direct for existing customers.

I don' think they are offering it anymore. About 2 years ago when they offered free HD to new subs they allowed existing subs whom have choice and higher with paperless billing to get 2 years of free HD. You had to call and ask for it.
And just how was I to know to call about it two years ago??? Sorry but I don't read this forum religiously like some of you so maybe I missed the "breaking news" about this two years ago. This obviously wasn't fair to everyone and I'm getting sick of D* making some offers available to those who are in the know, and not to those of us who aren't. From what I'm hearing, I just paid $10 at 24 months for a total of $240 that others, who were aware of this offer, did not have to pay. Screwed again. Just venting so please don't take this personally... you guys are great at keeping all of us up to date on just about everything regarding DirecTV.

If you call and complain, and you should, you may get some credits, either money or programming.

I'm grandfathered in at $68.99 basic type. Leaving it alone. What I would end up reducing are premium movie channels. (I currently have HBO and Starz, with $5 discount for six-month period.) And I would also reduce HD Extra Pack.

What I am really considering is reducing my high-speed Internet. I could take off $17 or $18 going to 2 mbps, which may be sufficient for me. I'm not into gaming; I don't upload; and what I basically do is visit the sites that interest me. Like reading articles. Like being here.

(Good topic!)

Last edited:
And just how was I to know to call about it two years ago??? Sorry but I don't read this forum religiously like some of you so maybe I missed the "breaking news" about this two years ago. .

it was only available for oh a year or so :)

I am confused and signed up last year when they offered - Free HD for Life. It was for all packages offered on their web site.

I have Choice Ultimate and on my Bills I get deducted -$10 and it says "
05/22 06/21 Advanced Receiver-HD Free HD Access w/Auto Bill Pay

I'd like to downgrade to the Entertainment package also, so this Free HD should stick right?

I don't think so. Like I said earlier, I think Choice is the lowest package that qualifies for free hd.

and some folks when they signed up Xtra was the minimum. Best thing to do is call Directv and ask

but keep in mind that calling Directv and getting the correct answer are not always the same thing, unfortunately. :(

It has been reported quite a few times that people called to downgrade and were assured they could keep HD for Life and then have it cancelled.

best thing to do is tell the rep "you are thinking of dropping to ____________ package" and they shuld be able to run a test by switching to that plan to verify if they will lose the HD. Thats what I did

but of course with all reps YMMV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)