Anyone ever put a motor on a 90cm Channel Master

Status
Please reply by conversation.

samuelrock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
Swamps of LA
I am wanting to set up a movable 90cm I am thinking of using a 90cm Channel Master retired from Primestar. I think this dish is a bit heaver than most of the FTAs that are on the market.. Have any of you motorized a 90cm Channel Master if so what motor did you use and has it held up for you?

I have not done exactly what you mentioned but a STAB HH120 would handle that dish with ease, just have to figure how to attach it.

An HH90 is rated for 10 kg, it's also a great motor but the weight capacity might limit you, what is the weight of your 90cm CM?

Motorized a Primestar dish many years ago. Channel Master used to offer a lightweight elevation kit that was interchangeable with the removed heavy mount that is typical found on these dishes. The kit had two "L" shaped brackets that bolted to the reflector, a plate that pivoted between the "L" brackets for elevation adjustment and U-bolts for post mounting. Total weight was only a few pounds. Sold the last remaining kits years ago here on the forum.

Several polar mount tracking kits with 18" - 24" actuators have been sold for Channel Master / Andrews / Raven dishes over the years. Satellitesuperstore in the UK has a 1.2m model posted.

Reactions: phlatwound
I have not done exactly what you mentioned but a STAB HH120 would handle that dish with ease, just have to figure how to attach it.

An HH90 is rated for 10 kg, it's also a great motor but the weight capacity might limit you, what is the weight of your 90cm CM?

Well I just looked up the data sheet and it does not list a weight.. Guess I will have to put it on a scale..

Motorized a Primestar dish many years ago. Channel Master used to offer a lightweight elevation kit that was interchangeable with the removed heavy mount that is typical found on these dishes. The kit had two "L" shaped brackets that bolted to the reflector, a plate that pivoted between the "L" brackets for elevation adjustment and U-bolts for post mounting. Total weight was only a few pounds. Sold the last remaining kits years ago here on the forum.

Several polar mount tracking kits with 18" - 24" actuators have been sold for Channel Master / Andrews / Raven dishes over the years. Satellitesuperstore in the UK has a 1.2m model posted.

I think I may have 1 or 2 of them... At one point we used them when we put a earth station in for paging networks..

...Several polar mount tracking kits with 18" - 24" actuators have been sold for Channel Master / Andrews / Raven dishes over the years. Satellitesuperstore in the UK has a 1.2m model posted.

I have lu$Ted after one of those factory polar mount$ $ince I first $aw one, very nice $etup.

Reactions: Titanium
That mount from Satellitesuperstore looks awesome.. But I can get the HH120 for about $165 shipped. I don't think the CM.90 dish is over 37lbs..

I am about to take the BUDs apart and replace some panels and get all this stuff working again.. Its been a hot min since I scanned the sky.. I have never even installed the last LNB I picked up from Brian its still sitting on the shelf in my ham shack, It would be nice to get the .90 movable so I can take my time with the BUDs..

I set up the orby service and now I am itching to play.. Well that and I just started a new job and just about every day I am home by 3:30 so I got time to play again..

I think I may have 1 or 2 of them... At one point we used them when we put a earth station in for paging networks..
If you locate the kit, please post a few photos. I have a few partial kits, but never took photos of a complete assembled u-bolt kit. Be good reference material for future hobbyists.

In my opinion, for the few extra dollars, I would definately use the HH120. Much more robust unit, plus it bottom loads.

Reactions: phlatwound
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)