Anyone have a Captain 8000hd receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
I've seen these receivers around and was just wondering if anybody has one. I read one (yep, that was it, just one) review on some other site searching google that gave it a good review. Just wondering if anybody has one and any problems they've had with it.

I've read that it is the same box as the Neusat HD, but I cannot confirm that.
I can tell you the eye-patch gang doesn't like that Neusat has stopped writing updates for the receivers.

Captain still does, from what I gather. There has been some talk of trying to load Captain firmware on the Neusat box since they seemingly abandoned it.

I own the Neusat HD, and, lemme tell you, its just barely acceptable as a basic HD receiver. It doesn't blindscan very well, switching didn't start out too well but it has gotten better as I've used it the last week or so. And that is with a non-current-non-factory-doesn't-get-anything-that-its-not-supposed-to-software.

That really didn't answer your questions, but there ya go. :)

Thanks Stogie. well with that, it gives me alittle something to go on. I've read the reviews on the nuesat, and as much as i like to tinker with things, i think i'll stay away from that receiver! I was just lookin for a cheap hd box to play with while wishing the passion would hurry up and at least make an appearance here.

From all the reviews I've heard on the Neusat, maybe I shouldnt have picked one up...thank goodness it was cheap :)

There has been some talk of trying to load Captain firmware on the Neusat box since they seemingly abandoned it.

I saw similar discussions, but never saw anyone say they had actually pulled that off. Anyone else see anything that confirms with any certainty that it could be done?

I Have Done This with with my neusat 9000hd, now a Captain 8000hd. Should I talk about how it was done? I have it hooked up to g10, g25, AMC4. I haven't hooked it up to my c/ku dish yet to check out on wild feeds exc. I guess I could blind scan on Satellites I'm hooked to now and see if it blind scans channels I typed in manually.

Sounds like the best use of the Neusat. Convert it with more effective firmware. That's what I'd do if I had one. I'm still waiting for the "perfect" box, otherwise I'll be picking up a dvb-s2 card for my skywalker PC.
:)

The trouble with this blind scan same as neusat. You still cannot set parameters for just c or ku or dbs so it searches through all. Patience usually gets the best of me. Example: I'm 6 minutes so far on g10 scan and only 6 percent completed. Will let you know how long scan takes and what it finds. the main reason I bought Neusat 9000hd as for college football hd feeds, which other people could find but not me, signals I could find using coolsat 5000. Neusat 9000hd has weak tuner, which is why I'm converting to Captain 8000hd

Last edited:
The high def picture it produces is actually quite acceptable. The rest of the features/functions are frustrating but depending on how much you paid for it, you might find it acceptable as well. I paid $135 with full shipping and handling so it was worth the try.

1) yes blind scan is slow and not very good. In fact, I don't blind scan with it. I usually depend on someone else to find the feeds for me and then just plug in the numbers. Other option is to blindscan with say an old Fortec and then use the numbers it gives in the Neusat.

2) I can confirm that you can convert a Neusat to a Captain 8000HD. The interface is almost identical, just a little uglier. Same little glitches and qwerks, as the Neusat interface. Only risk you are taking, is if the Captain decides to install any kill codes. The Captain firmware, however, appears to be fine for now.

3) The biggest problem with the machine is the inability to add a satellite to the satellite list. For example, Horizon 2 is not in the current satellite list. The only way to get H2 is to Drive to 74W using your remote. This is pretty tricky to do, and you lose your settings once you go back to a factory setting, so it is not very practicle.

4) If another alternative was available, at the price, I would obviously switch. I'm inherently cheap, however, and I'm not ready to shell out $300 - $400 for a HD receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts