Anyone Have a Manhattan 1978 Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
So does anyone have one of these and if you do, would you buy it again, and if not why not?

Yup, looking at replacing my defective Micro HD with one of these if ppl are happy with them.

I am waiting for new firmware before posting my complete review. In my opinion, it is a solid STB with great potential. The DVR works well and the it is easy to use and very sensitive tuner. Great for basic systems with single or multiple fixed dishes. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend for a newbie with one or more fixed dishes.

The weakness at this point is the motor control interface and multiple satellite motor operation. The motor automatically moves as the channel lists are navigated and the list cycles only in one direction. There is no direct satellite selection menu. The DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment number is automatic and is sequential by activation and not displayed in the menus or information screens. This makes DiSEqC 1.2 motor control unfriendly and swapping between multiple receivers almost impossible.

The great news is that Manhattan indicated that new firmware will be released. Not sure what changes will be implemented and when it will be released.

What Brian said, pretty much sums up my findings as well. Waiting on new firmware to fix the quirks.
For someone without an elaborate system, at this time, it is a great box. I personally have not tried recording yet, I need to get around to that.

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Brian said:
The motor automatically moves as the channel lists are navigated and the list cycles only in one direction.

THAT is one of the main problems with that banned "junk" receiver I bought a couple of months back, and for me, it's a deal breaker because it too hard on controllers and actuators IMHO. When I was messing with that "junk" I finally just disabled the Vbox all together and just moved the dish with the Vbox remote. There was a guy on their forum who had posted a thread about the same problem with his and they never have fixed it to date. Like I said, deal breaker for me.

I guess I'll just wait until you guys get new firmware to see if that issue is fixed in the Manhattan.

I am waiting for new firmware before posting my complete review. In my opinion, it is a solid STB with great potential. The DVR works well and the it is easy to use and very sensitive tuner. Great for basic systems with single or multiple fixed dishes. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend for a newbie with one or more fixed dishes.

The weakness at this point is the motor control interface and multiple satellite motor operation. The motor automatically moves as the channel lists are navigated and the list cycles only in one direction. There is no direct satellite selection menu. The DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment number is automatic and is sequential by activation and not displayed in the menus or information screens. This makes DiSEqC 1.2 motor control unfriendly and swapping between multiple receivers almost impossible.

The great news is that Manhattan indicated that new firmware will be released. Not sure what changes will be implemented and when it will be released.
Thanks for the info Brian! I was considering trying one of these but will wait until the motor issues have been addressed. I've tried two cheap overseas boxes, one that moves the motor all over while scrolling through the menus and another that assigned the diseqc positions automatically. I don't like either 'feature' so will wait for that software update before jumping in. ;)

THAT is one of the main problems with that banned "junk" receiver I bought a couple of months back, and for me, it's a deal breaker because it too hard on controllers and actuators IMHO.

Lone, there's a workaround, although not a neat one: Do not change channels while in 'Menu'. Exit out like you are watching a channel full screen.Hit ok for the channel list. Hit the 'Sat' button to bring up the Satellite list. Scroll through the list and the dish will not move until you select a Sat. (Only works for Sats which are already enabled.) Then go into menu and you'll be on the correct Sat. Rough on the mouse, but easier on the actuator.

I've found a good use for my junk receiver... I use it for scanning. If I find something new, I add it to the 9000i by transponder scan afterwards. That way my channel names and the channel order doesn't get messed up on the 9000i. It does tend to add/lose a count or two quite often. It would be annoying if it was used daily on a motorized set-up. :eek:

So...here I am going thru the board here while blind scanning for new channels... not paying enough attention to what I am doing. And as I set up to blindscan 93w KU, I lose all motor control. The V Box turns off when I tell it to move.WTF...did I blow the Vbox or the receiver? Screen ic BLACK. After 10 minutes of hystericis... I realize that instead of setting the 22k to 'on'.... I had turned the LNB power to off! LMAO

I figured youse guys would get a kick out of that.

Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
I can feel you. Been there and done things like that, and get that sick feeling for awhile until, I calm down and ...... WHEW!! :D

Reactions: armadillo_115
I often forget to set the LO and takes a second to recognize this. Kinda sucks to have to set the lo on every sat position but I guess at least that way you know what you have when setting each position.

We all have those "Oh Caa Caa" moments. At least I do. Really love those, that you have been beating your head against the wall for hours, then you finally get up and walk away for a few minutes or hours. Then when you come back to it, it is one of those really simple things that is literally glaring at you.

As you may already know, the new Manhattan firmware did not have the motor issue fixes so a few days ago I contacted Hyper on this motor assignment number issue and he wasn't aware of it? He contacted Manhattan about it and said they weren't aware of this issue either? Says that they are looking into it and hope to have it fixed soon.

Reactions: bigg t
I have been communicating directly with Jeff and had not discussed with Hyper. Not sure why the confusion.

Manhattan has been aware of the motor assignment and motor movement within the lists since January. I was told that Mike Kohl also reported it. Several emails exchanged since then have indicated that they were working on a firmware fix.

OK so it's been a few months (about 3) since this last post was made? Any news about a fix since then or is this issue still a problem for the Manhattan 1978 receiver?

I have not checked, but looks like a new firmware was released according to Casey. If I get a chance this weekend I will have a look.
It may be Monday though....

I have not checked, but looks like a new firmware was released according to Casey. If I get a chance this weekend I will have a look.
It may be Monday though....

I went and looked HERE for info on firmware updates and it looks like V0105 is the last one out and that was back in April. There was mention of V0106 in one post but nothing else so I'm "assuming" that was a type O.

That whole thread is somewhat confusing though so maybe you can make some sense out of it!

Yeah, it is confusing. I have not had a chance yet, but if I don't forget, I will test it out tonight.

Yeah, just got around to looking. I have V105 in my receiver, it will not upgrade via network like it says it is supposed to now.
I also see where Casey says new version V105 I guess that is a typo, I assume he meant V106.
However, as you saw he said he had trouble attaching the file. So must have to manually update this one also instead of over the network??? I am not sure.
Lone Gunman if you see any more about V106 and a file let me know and I will give it a shot again.

Purchased one from ebay 2 years ago and it was kinda buggy, it was a version that would not take any updates. Think they considered that model a prototype. I made a claim with ebay/paypal and got my money back. Since then decided not to order any more manhattan's for the bad experience

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)