Anyone know how to read diagnostic information from a cable box (signal quality)

GMFreak8

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Adirondacks
I'm having trouble with HD channels pixelizing. The picture never freezes, and it never really totally pixelates like if the signal was to temporarily drop out, but it's constantly there, and it just started after I ordered the HD Pak (which I doubt has anything to do with it). You'll notice pixelization in fast moving scenes more, but even in scenes with relatively little motion it still does it. I was watching 40 year old virgin on HBO just a few minutes ago, and during the closing scene where they are dancing in a field, if you were to look at the grass, it would look like it's dancing and jumping in and out of focus. TNT HD depending on the day will completely drop out and pixelate off and on for 10 minutes at a time before returning to normal. I checked the diagnostic pages where I think the signal quality levels are, but I can't make it out, all I know is some numbers change from orange to white every so often but mostly stay orange. If anyone can tell me what this page means, and if I have a signal quality problem, I'd appreciate it. I have Time Warner cable coming down tomorrow morning, because the tech on the phone noticed low signal levels, but I've had them out before and the guy keeps saying it's not a problem. I honestly think he's just trying to get out of diagnosing and trying to fix a potential problem. Thanks for any information you guys can give me, I appreciate it.

Here's the diagnostic page, if anyone needs more, let me know:

Last edited:
GMFreak8 said:
I'm having trouble with HD channels pixelizing. The picture never freezes, and it never really totally pixelates like if the signal was to temporarily drop out, but it's constantly there, and it just started after I ordered the HD Pak (which I doubt has anything to do with it). You'll notice pixelization in fast moving scenes more, but even in scenes with relatively little motion it still does it. I was watching 40 year old virgin on HBO just a few minutes ago, and during the closing scene where they are dancing in a field, if you were to look at the grass, it would look like it's dancing and jumping in and out of focus. TNT HD depending on the day will completely drop out and pixelate off and on for 10 minutes at a time before returning to normal. I checked the diagnostic pages where I think the signal quality levels are, but I can't make it out, all I know is some numbers change from orange to white every so often but mostly stay orange. If anyone can tell me what this page means, and if I have a signal quality problem, I'd appreciate it. I have Time Warner cable coming down tomorrow morning, because the tech on the phone noticed low signal levels, but I've had them out before and the guy keeps saying it's not a problem. I honestly think he's just trying to get out of diagnosing and trying to fix a potential problem. Thanks for any information you guys can give me, I appreciate it.

Here's the diagnostic page, if anyone needs more, let me know:

Your signals aren't very good and with that said I'd suggest you call and have a tech come out. Sometimes the orange/yellow doesn't cause problems while for others it does. When you see red that is when your really having bad signal problems. If I had to guess I'd say a splitter in some part of the house might be the problem.

LonghornXP said:
Your signals aren't very good and with that said I'd suggest you call and have a tech come out. Sometimes the orange/yellow doesn't cause problems while for others it does. When you see red that is when your really having bad signal problems. If I had to guess I'd say a splitter in some part of the house might be the problem.
Thanks, at least now, I know I should probably press the tech a little harder to find the problem. About a year ago I had them come out and completely redo the line in from the box outside to the modem and HD DVR. All there is between the cable coming in from the road and the cable box is one splitter. I have a tech coming out sometimes this morning, so I'll see what's going on. Last time he came he said everything is fine, and I wasn't expierencing many problems then, but it's progressively gotten worse, so I'll push for something to be done. Last time I had to call for a month before I got any results, finally they sent the technical supervisor out and it did get fixed. Seems the signal over the years just keeps getting weaker.....

Last edited:
Well the tech came, didn't even bother looking at the signal levels or anything, just brought an amp with him and installed it. It did improve the signal, it's now fluctuating between -1 DBmV and -2 DBmV. We'll see if that solves the problem....

Now I have a large amp sitting behind my SNES system....

1001347large2rn.jpg

Can someone tell me HOW to access that menu? I have suspected for a long time that my signal strength is low, but need to check and be sure. I am in the Columbus, Ohio market if that helps.

JayPSU said:
Can someone tell me HOW to access that menu? I have suspected for a long time that my signal strength is low, but need to check and be sure. I am in the Columbus, Ohio market if that helps.

I believe you hold the select key on the box itself for about five seconds until you see a flashing light (mail light). Once the light is flashing press the info button and you should be in the dx menu. I also believe the box itself must be off before doing these steps. Also if you don't press info before the light stops flashing it won't work. It will flash for about five seconds so you must press info within that time period. Also all of this must be done from the box and not the remote. Once your in the dx menu you can use the remote from that point on.

Press the Select and Exit buttons together until you see "diag" on the front of the box (and generally hear a ding if you have audio on), then turn the channel to channel 611 (that is how it is in Dayton and Cincinnati, I'd imagine Columbus is the same way). Then you should get all of the diagnostic info. The box does not need to be turned off.

For my particular box (SA 8300HD) and area (Time Warner Syracuse) all you have to do is press and hold the 'Select" button on the front of the box, wait for the mail symbol to flash on the front display, and then press the "info" button, that'll bring up the diagnostic information.

Edit: Oops, didn't see Longhorns reply.....

Last edited:
JayPSU said:

If the previous suggestions don't work AND you have a TWC for you cable provider, simply bring up channel # 611. That will bring your diagnostic screen for most of TWC Pioneer boxes.

On Passport you need to press "select" and "exit" together until you get the "DIAG" message to pop up on the receiver. Then tune to 611 and you are good to go.

GMFreak8 said:
Well the tech came, didn't even bother looking at the signal levels or anything, just brought an amp with him and installed it. It did improve the signal, it's now fluctuating between -1 DBmV and -2 DBmV. We'll see if that solves the problem....

Now I have a large amp sitting behind my SNES system....

1001347large2rn.jpg

Have the same amp at my house and it works fine,but if want to see better numbers go to Circuit City and buy the Motorolia cable amp(got mine for 49.00) I got the Motorolia after Adelphia's amp went south prior to the week end and would have to wait until Monday for a new one, got the Motorolia and it works much better,cable co did drop thiers off and I will keep it for a back-up but like the Motorokia much more

branchbouncer said:
Have the same amp at my house and it works fine,but if want to see better numbers go to Circuit City and buy the Motorolia cable amp(got mine for 49.00) I got the Motorolia after Adelphia's amp went south prior to the week end and would have to wait until Monday for a new one, got the Motorolia and it works much better,cable co did drop thiers off and I will keep it for a back-up but like the Motorokia much more

This one was free, and it works great for boosting the signal to levels that are decent. Not too worried now, and everything seems ok, not to mention I don't have a CC anywhere near me.

GMFreak8 said:
This one was free, and it works great for boosting the signal to levels that are decent. Not too worried now, and everything seems ok, not to mention I don't have a CC anywhere near me.

What are your signals now? I'm curious of the SNR.

Adding an amp isn't just the fix all. If I'm reading this correct he just stuck it behind the box and called it done? Usually an amp should be placed before the splitter so the signal is "prepared" for separation. I've seen too many people with amps behind their TV's saying they give a better picture. You're amping the noise too, and once you've lost the signal strength you really can't get it back.

Good call Digiblur, an amp right behind a TV should only be a temporary fix while something permanent is being worked on. Im also curious what your diagnostic screen says now, because it also looked like your transmit power was pretty high at a 57. Thats how much power your box uses to communicate back through the cable plant to the headend. Ideally it should be around the mid 30's or 40's. Throwing an amp in could actually make it worse. It would affect more of your PPV and VOD, or other 2 way services, not so much the pixellation. But it also could be an indicator of something bad, be it the drop to the house, or the splitter or something. How long is the drop from the pole to your house? One splitter and you have -17 at your box, something doesnt sound right.

Now you guys got me thinking. I went and look at the amp and the complete line. The line coming from the pole to the box mounted on the house is maybe an 80 foot run altogether. The line coming from the pole enters the box where from what I can gather has possibly a three or two way splitter inside (I can't be sure because I can't figure out how to get in the damn box. If you guys have any tips on how to do that, please let me know), from there three lines leave the box (one may be an old line that's no longer used, and other one goes to my bedroom). The feed that has the amp on it comes through the wall right by the box, goes about 10 feet to where the amp is connected, from there there is a two way splitter which has the cable modem connected to one port. The other port feeds a 4 way splitter which then feeds 4 TVs in the house, including one standard cable box (SA Explorer 2000) and a HD DVR (SA Explorer 8300HD).

Here's the box that I'd like to get opened to check the connections:

The SA Explorer 2000 Box Signal:
1001480largexi2.jpg

The SA Explorer 8300HD Box Signal:
1001473largeoq4.jpg

If you guys have any suggestions or see any problems, please let me know. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
I had some signal problems about two weeks ago and I went and bought an amp from Circuit City just to see if it fixed the problem because I could always return it and get my money back within 30 days. So this is my setup and what I did if that helps.

I have the main cable drop going from the boiler room in my apartment complex that goes into my apartment and stops at the living room jack. So I have a two way splitter that connects to the living room jack and the other output goes to the master bedroom jack. I ran one cable from the master bedroom jack around the bedroom (about 20-25 feet of cable). Now I used to have one three way splitter that served my HD DVR and cable/voice modem with a six foot cable each. I have the third output has a 15 foot cable that goes into the next bedroom and connects directly to the second and last HD DVR in the house. Nothing is connected in my living room at this time so I just have two HD DVR boxes and one cable/voice modem for a total of three devices being served. So I'll say what I did below.

I got rid of the three way splitter to start with. I than took the main cable from the bedroom jack and put that into the input of a two way splitter. I took a cable and connected from the first output of the splitter and connected it directly to my cable/voice modem as you don't want to amplify the signal for the modem. I used a second cable in the second output of the splitter and plugged that into the amplifier. I ran another cable from the output of the amplifier into another two way splitter that serves both HD DVR boxes. After doing this all of my signals are great and I no longer have any VOD and tiling issues.

I'll post a very basic and bad paint drawing of my specific setup and again art is something I suck at so don't trash me too bad okay.

ampinstall.JPG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)