Anyone know what's up with Orby?

Scott's pretty much trying to say the same thing I have been..They had Best Buy sell off all the receiver's to cut loss, removed all social media, website only gives you a email link (have no clue why since we know they are not going to respond)..They cancelled one guys install and did refund him money..We are going to have to accept the fact that they just couldn't get enough subscribers.. It's a shame because I did like the program content and you couldn't beat the price for the programming.. Now it's just a wait and see if they give you your programming until your subscription due date ends or are they going to pull the plug all at once.. Didn't we have a Orby company Tech as a member at one time? I remember seeing some post with one.. Where did he go now?

The link on the Orby website to purchase self install kits now shows none available for purchase.

There is now a liquidator on eBay showing more than 10 new regular Orby receivers available for purchase at $65. The same seller has 7 DVRs available at $120.
Um, why would they liquidate equipment they knew would end up being a brick? I would imagine that the streaming market has their panties in a twist limiting their revenue stream.

Why would anyone have a dish installed in a location where winter storms and blizzards happen frequently when they can stream channels right to their TV eliminating extra equipment and viewing time losses when dishes freeze over causing a signal loss.

If they are going out of business or they have been bought up by a competitor, It wouldn't be the first time we've seen it happen. The real losers are the consumers who are in locations where internet or cell service isn't available.

Reactions: SDA_FL_USA
Um, why would they liquidate equipment they knew would end up being a brick? I would imagine that the streaming market has their panties in a twist limiting their revenue stream.

Why would anyone have a dish installed in a location where winter storms and blizzards happen frequently when they can stream channels right to their TV eliminating extra equipment and viewing time losses when dishes freeze over causing a signal loss.

If they are going out of business or they have been bought up by a competitor, It wouldn't be the first time we've seen it happen. The real losers are the consumers who are in locations where internet or cell service isn't available.
Not everybody has good highspeed internet at their house for streaming. THOSE kinds are/were the market for Orby.

Didn't we have a Orby company Tech as a member at one time? I remember seeing some post with one.. Where did he go now?
Yes, if I recall correctly (and that's questionable :rolleyes) there was someone from Orby that posted a few times in the threads. Would definitely like a post from them now.

I never had Orby, so I don't know if this is fact. But I kept hearing that they broadcast in SD. If this is true, I can see one reason why they might be folding. SD in a world were people are starting to move on to 4K just doesn't work.

The "SD" was of very good quality....and I didn't count, but I think around half or more of the channels were HD..(and still are on my TV today.) The "SD" was MUCH better than I get from digital TV stations rebroadcasting SD programming...and those locals SHOULD be able to do some kind of upscaling or cleanup..but in my area, they don't!

Not everybody has good highspeed internet at their house for streaming. THOSE kinds are/were the market for Orby.
A while back, I purchased a TCL 32 inch TV that had a lot of streaming options, like the ROKU channel, Crackle and several others.

Until the wireless internet service we have did a major upgrade, we were only getting 1.5mbps most of the time, and the TCL TV did a great job streaming.

I was a bit reluctant to purchase this brand until I saw it on sale for $98 at Walmart. I wasn't disappointed. It has a phenomenal picture, even at the lowest resolutions.

I have a $1200 LG 4K TV in the living room that lacks some of the streaming services the TCL offers, and it performed extremely well before the upgrade.

Other than streaming, the only TV services I have comes from my Ku/C-Band BUD system pictured in my profile picture. So far, there aren't enough 4K channels FTA to justify paying the $1200 I spent for a 4K television and 4K receiver.

Judging how the 4K market went, I doubt I'll be buying an 8K setup anytime soon.

The "SD" was of very good quality....and I didn't count, but I think around half or more of the channels were HD..(and still are on my TV today.) The "SD" was MUCH better than I get from digital TV stations rebroadcasting SD programming...and those locals SHOULD be able to do some kind of upscaling or cleanup..but in my area, they don't!

There's only so much bandwidth on one ATSC 1.0 channel (20mbps IIRC). That's good for one or 2 1080i nets and a few stretcho-vision 480 feeds. Or 12 totally compressed feeds.

Reactions: raydio
There's only so much bandwidth on one ATSC 1.0 channel (20mbps IIRC). That's good for one or 2 1080i nets and a few stretcho-vision 480 feeds. Or 12 totally compressed feeds.
Agreed....but if (terrestrial) stations are going to allow SD to look like crap, adjusting WHERE they put a little of the bandwidth would be in order. No sense in giving us (3) shopping channels at the expense of an "older programming" channel looking crappy. But yes, it's "follow the money"....and "what's easiest to program, broadcast, and maintain." I'm a broadcaster, I get it...but if I WERE doing TV, I'd make sure my retro TV channels looked their best possible.

The website is still "there" it's just covered up by that overlay. All of their employees on linkedin shows them as still employed. All of their social media accounts are deleted, except for LinkedIn. Even their zendesk account is gone, orbytv.zendesk.com

Either this company just stopped existing today without telling anyone (what a sh!tty thing to do), or they had a shared password and someone with a bone to pick nuked them from orbit.

A while back, I purchased a TCL 32 inch TV that had a lot of streaming options, like the ROKU channel, Crackle and several others.

Until the wireless internet service we have did a major upgrade, we were only getting 1.5mbps most of the time, and the TCL TV did a great job streaming.

I was a bit reluctant to purchase this brand until I saw it on sale for $98 at Walmart. I wasn't disappointed. It has a phenomenal picture, even at the lowest resolutions.

I have a $1200 LG 4K TV in the living room that lacks some of the streaming services the TCL offers, and it performed extremely well before the upgrade.

Other than streaming, the only TV services I have comes from my Ku/C-Band BUD system pictured in my profile picture. So far, there aren't enough 4K channels FTA to justify paying the $1200 I spent for a 4K television and 4K receiver.

Judging how the 4K market went, I doubt I'll be buying an 8K setup anytime soon.
There is tons of 4K programing available, but it is all streaming from Netflix, Disney+, Prime and now Discovery+ and HBO.

The Television makers like Sony, Samsung, etc., sponsored HD programming when the switch from SD happened, that was done to show off the new HD TVs, they did not do so this time because of all the 4K stuff from streaming, hence why broadcasters ( both OTA and Cable channels) did not go from HD to 4K, no money in it to do so.

And no Orby reps in here to do damage control on our speculation. Very telling. Now I really need a big dish so I can get a few more channels on fta.....

what do I say to grandma and grandpa?

If a person picks up a DVR from Best Buy can they schedule OTA recording with PSID data without the satellite service. Will it work?
The DVR does have to be activated before you can record...I tried with mine on OTA before having it activated..Then I unhooked the sat input and just used the OTA for about 2 months without the sat and still worked.. Now I unhooked the sat input just today so hopefully the receiver will still work for DVR on OTA.. since it's not getting any command to deactivate..I still have 3 more non-DVR receivers activated

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)