Anyone ugrade from a 522 to a 622 and have had a HD set hooked to both?

leejp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
I did attempt to post this several times yesterday but between my connectivity/my attempting to edit... I lost/deleted the original post.

In a nutshell... I just bought an HDTV set and am less than pleased with the SD picture quality. This is the 480i connected via S-VHS coming from the 522.

My TV upsamples the 480i and it just doesn't look all that great. It may just be my TV (Sony 46E2000) but the 480p from my DVD player which is also upsampled by the TV looks great.

So I'm wondering what happens to the SD picture quality if I upgrade to the 622 (which upsamples the 480i to 720p or 1080i for the HDMI cable).

Can someone who's had both receivers comment? I'm probably a week or two away from setting up this test so I may be able to do a unscientific comparison of my own.

Here's my experience:

Two+ years ago, we had a standard TV and the 522... That TV died and we replaced it with a 57" Toshiba rear-projection. I was very disappointed in the picture quality from the 522 to this TV (using S-Video). The 921 was the only available HD-DVR back then and it cost $999. We wouldn't give up the DVR (functionality) but really wanted HD, so we switched to cable.

DVDs looked great on the TV, by the way. I use component cables and progressive scan is enabled.

Last week, I dropped cable and came back to Dish with the 622 receiver. Everything looks great on it, whether it's the standard-def channels (480i or 480p ??) or 720p or 1080i. I'm using component on it too and the 622 is set to output in 1080i resolution, my TV's native resolution.

The 622 looks great on my sony hdtvs but the 522 is just ok, but the 522 looks really good on my jvc rear projection hdtv. The jvc is about a year and a half old my 1st hdtv. The 2 sony's a 46 in that is 3 months old and a 60 in that is a year old.The 622 is set to 720p and is connected via hdmi to the 60in and component to the 46in and the jvc. The 522 is connected via s video to the jvc and looks pretty good. I do most of my sd recording on it and save the 622 for hd.

hall said:
Here's my experience:

Two+ years ago, we had a standard TV and the 522... That TV died and we replaced it with a 57" Toshiba rear-projection. I was very disappointed in the picture quality from the 522 to this TV (using S-Video). The 921 was the only available HD-DVR back then and it cost $999. We wouldn't give up the DVR (functionality) but really wanted HD, so we switched to cable.

DVDs looked great on the TV, by the way. I use component cables and progressive scan is enabled.

Last week, I dropped cable and came back to Dish with the 622 receiver. Everything looks great on it, whether it's the standard-def channels (480i or 480p ??) or 720p or 1080i. I'm using component on it too and the 622 is set to output in 1080i resolution, my TV's native resolution.

So I guess I'm not crazy... 522 S-VHS to an HDTV set PQ isn't so great... Do you happen to have HDMI/DVI connected?

Last edited:
No, I'm using component. DVI technically offers no advantage to me because my TV isn't "digital". I have used both component and DVI with my cable HD set-top and the picture was different, but I can't say it was better or worse.

leejp said:
So I'm wondering what happens to the SD picture quality if I upgrade to the 622 (which upsamples the 480i to 720p or 1080i for the HDMI cable).

Can someone who's had both receivers comment? I'm probably a week or two away from setting up this test so I may be able to do a unscientific comparison of my own.
If you got a walmart by you may want to try something that will make you happy. :eureka
They have a RCA (DRC8052N) Upconvert DVD player. See I hook my DVR 625 (S-Video) to one of the inputs on the back of the RCA and then upconvert to my TV threw the HDMI Out and the picture is great.
The difference is night and day.

DVR625 said:
If you got a walmart by you may want to try something that will make you happy. :eureka
They have a RCA (DRC8052N) Upconvert DVD player. See I hook my DVR 625 (S-Video) to one of the inputs on the back of the RCA and then upconvert to my TV threw the HDMI Out and the picture is great.
The difference is night and day.
I had the same problem with very poor PQ with my 522. What I did was hooked up my 522 through my 811 and watch the DVR programs through the 811 using DVI input. MUCH BETTER PQ. This is similar to what DVR625 did above, except I already had a 811 and just used the digital interface from that to get the better PQ. I too have a Sony. It's a rear proj LCD 60".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts