Anyone want to try explain Celtic's trade logic?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When I saw the title of this thread, I tried to contemplate a possible Celtics trade before I opened it. I figured that since Perkins and Davis are free agents and that the Celtics are committed to over $70 million in salary next year, they were probably going to trade Davis for a draft choice. Once I began to read the article and saw it was Perkins going, I figured they were ready to give Erden some more quality minutes... until I read the next paragraph.

With no Perkins, Shaq, Jermaine or Erden, the Celtics are basically the same at center as they were when they couldn't match up with the Lakers last year. Is Kristic a player? I only recognize his uncommon name, but don't have any recollections of him as a player. I just read a couple of articles dumping on them. I'd say that the return of Delonte West and the loss of Marquis Daniels have contributed heavily into Danny Ainge's decision to engineer this deal. And now there are hints that Rasheed may have been trying to "pull a Clemens" (sort of), where he takes most of a season off to be best assured of being intact for the playoffs.

I have read that the 2012 first round draft pick is "Top 10" protected, but I'm not sure what that means. If it is in the top ten, then what do they get in place of it?

I don't know how many of you remember this, but Danny Ainge wasn't regarded as much better as a GM than Isaih Thomas until McHale designated him to be the recipient of the Kevin Garnett giveway.

When I saw the title of this thread, I tried to contemplate a possible Celtics trade before I opened it. I figured that since Perkins and Davis are free agents and that the Celtics are committed to over $70 million in salary next year, they were probably going to trade Davis for a draft choice. Once I began to read the article and saw it was Perkins going, I figured they were ready to give Erden some more quality minutes... until I read the next paragraph.

With no Perkins, Shaq, Jermaine or Erden, the Celtics are basically the same at center as they were when they couldn't match up with the Lakers last year. Is Kristic a player? I only recognize his uncommon name, but don't have any recollections of him as a player. I just read a couple of articles dumping on them. I'd say that the return of Delonte West and the loss of Marquis Daniels have contributed heavily into Danny Ainge's decision to engineer this deal. And now there are hints that Rasheed may have been trying to "pull a Clemens" (sort of), where he takes most of a season off to be best assured of being intact for the playoffs.

I have read that the 2012 first round draft pick is "Top 10" protected, but I'm not sure what that means. If it is in the top ten, then what do they get in place of it?

I don't know how many of you remember this, but Danny Ainge wasn't regarded as much better as a GM than Isaih Thomas until McHale designated him to be the recipient of the Kevin Garnett giveway.

790-The Ticket had Adrian Wojnarowski from Yahoo sports AND Chris Broussard and neither of them could really give a firm reason for this trade. They DID agree that the players were pissed and that the players and fans thought that the two guys were better than they really were.

I haven't found any corroberating references to the protected, 2012 first round draft pick the Celtics allegedly are getting from Oklahoma City other than in the linked article in the opening post, so until multiple news sources report the Celtics's situation identically, I'll have to withhold further comment on that trade.

I now see that a thrid trade has been made. The Celtics have swapped Marquis Daniels's contract and some cash for a protected 2017, second round pick. Wierd.

What I do not get is they are getting older, and this probably will be their last run so why now physically shorten your inside defenders and open the door for Miami? What a head shaker!!!

cjwct said:
What I do not get is they are getting older, and this probably will be their last run so why now physically shorten your inside defenders and open the door for Miami? What a head shaker!!!

They've already beaten Miami twice without Perkins.

Don't get me wrong I liked Perk, but it was like playing 4 on 5 offense when he was on the floor. I love how the mediots are trying to make this Guy out to be Bill Russell.

They've already beaten Miami twice without Perkins.

Don't get me wrong I liked Perk, but it was like playing 4 on 5 offense when he was on the floor. I love how the mediots are trying to make this Guy out to be Bill Russell.

Where are you getting this "making him out to be Russell" stuff? It's funny how you and others basically drooled about 'can't wait till Perkins gets back' stuff...and now that you guys made a trade that has perplexed everyone INCLUDING the Celtics players themselves...now it's well, he sucked on offense. He was never there for offense, you have 4 starters that are better than most teams starting 5.

LOL! Amazing....

salsadancer7 said:
Where are you getting this "making him out to be Russell" stuff? It's funny how you and others basically drooled about 'can't wait till Perkins gets back' stuff...and now that you guys made a trade that has perplexed everyone INCLUDING the Celtics players themselves...now it's well, he sucked on offense. He was never there for offense, you have 4 other players that are better than most teams starting 5.

LOL! Amazing....

I heard it from these 2 mediots named Brousard and Rose on ESPN.

Still have those 4 and by far the 2 best bench players in the east.

The Celtics are adults, they'll get over it.

OKC is pretty happy. We'll miss Jeff Green, but he was going to be a free agent, and he plays the same position as Kevin Durant. The Clippers' first round pick should be a good one, but we really needed Perkins in the middle to compete with Pau Gasol fpr rebounds. This trade makes the Thunder competitive this year.

Found this on SI.com:

The Celtics had offered Perkins the maximum possible extension under the current CBA, which turned out to be a little more than he already makes. Perk, rightly thinking he might make more on the open market, said no thanks

We also have to assume that, by making this trade, Ainge is convinced that he is going to get something from the O'Neals. Shaquille O'Neal is not that far away. Jermaine O'Neal? Who knows? We also have to assume that the Celtics are, as of now, comfortable with Delonte West's situation as the backup to Rondo. Rivers never really warmed to Robinson, anyway.

Peter May says Boston Celtics got better end of trade with Oklahoma City Thunder - ESPN Boston

OKC is pretty happy. We'll miss Jeff Green, but he was going to be a free agent, and he plays the same position as Kevin Durant. The Clippers' first round pick should be a good one, but we really needed Perkins in the middle to compete with Pau Gasol fpr rebounds. This trade makes the Thunder competitive this year.

ABSOLUTELY! Right, you can look at any of the top 4 teams and can easily make a case for ANY of them to with the WEST. Right now, to me, the top 4 teams in the WEST are San Antonio, Dallas, OKC and the Lakers.

I still don't understand the trade. They got nobody in return.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ramy said:
I still don't understand the trade. They got nobody in return.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

More and more I read this it seems that they felt the need to get something as opposed to waiting for free agency where they would have gotten nothing in return

I realize Perk isn't a naturally happy dude, but couldn't he even try a fake smile at the the new team photo shoot? Geesh. He looks so sad....

sadperk.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts