According to Denver Post...the Knicks get 'Melo....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
It's official according to Denver Post...the Knicks get 'Melo....

...but did the Knicks give up TOO MUCH??!!

Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal

By Benjamin Hochman and Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/21/2011 09:56:57 AM MST
Updated: 02/21/2011 08:19:02 PM MST

The Carmelo Anthony trade saga is finally over.

The Nuggets traded Melo to the New York Knicks tonight, a league source said. Denver gets Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

Anthony will go to New York, along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman.

Anthony was not at the Nuggets' practice as the team resumed workouts following the All-Star break.

Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal - The Denver Post

Last edited:
salsadancer7 said:
...but did the Knicks give up TOO MUCH??!!

Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal

By Benjamin Hochman and Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/21/2011 09:56:57 AM MST
Updated: 02/21/2011 08:19:02 PM MST

The Carmelo Anthony trade saga is finally over.

The Nuggets traded Melo to the New York Knicks tonight, a league source said. Denver gets Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

Anthony will go to New York, along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman.

Anthony was not at the Nuggets' practice as the team resumed workouts following the All-Star break.

Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal - The Denver Post

Just confirmed on ESPN crawler; details on SportsCenter in 10 minutes

Just confirmed on ESPN crawler; details on SportsCenter in 10 minutes

The gave up too much and Mikhail will bring two or three BACK to the metropolitan area(Gallinari, Felton and Mozgoz) ..... Damn Denver came up winning like a bandit. When all the dust settles, they quite possibly have 4 1st round draft pics.

salsadancer7 said:
The gave up too much and Mikhail will bring two or three BACK to the metropolitan area(Gallinari, Felton and Mozgoz) ..... Damn Denver came up winning like a bandit. When all the dust settles, they quite possibly have 4 1st round draft pics.

Yes and no ... Knicks have their 2nd star now ... easier to build s bench ... BTW Melo on Conan tonight ... lol

cjwct said:
No its recorded earlier, but you know he knew :)

Just watched last nights Coco and when asked to choose, Melo chose a Denver omelete over Salt Water Taffy (NJ) and Manhattan Clam Chowder ... maybe he didn't know ... lol

The Knicks only gave up too much if there was really never a chance of Melo going to the Nets, or anywhere else. If that was the case, they could have waited for free agency...

The gave up too much and Mikhail will bring two or three BACK to the metropolitan area(Gallinari, Felton and Mozgoz) .....

Giving first round picks up for players like Gallinari, Felton and Mozgov, just to tweak the Knicks, would be a mistake. Prokhorov needs to focus less on the Knicks and more on the Nets.

Sandra

cosmo_kramer said:
The Knicks only gave up too much if there was really never a chance of Melo going to the Nets, or anywhere else. If that was the case, they could have waited for free agency...

I don't know ... they weren't going to win with those players, so I see it as a win win cuz now they can attract other players with Ama're and Melo

For whatever reason, draft picks aren't nearly as a commodity as they are in the NFL. In the NBA, it seems draft picks are thrown around without much thought.

On the surface, the Knicks just got one of the top 10 players in the league and gave up a few second tier players in return. It really comes down to this though for the Knicks, would you rather have Galarni/Felton or Melo/Billups?

It's becoming more apparent to these players that one superstar can't win it by themselves, so they're teaming up. Melo and Amare will be together for at least 4 more years. Could they also swoon Chris Paul in the near future? I still think they are a bench and an additional star away from being more than a 5 seed in the East.

Also, kudos to Denver for at least realizing their fate and at least getting something for Melo before he became a free-agent. Teams who who had hope and were left with nothing in return included Toronto and Cleveland of last year.

Bill Simmons made a great point - Sunday was the NBA All-Star game. There are 30 teams in the league. There were 10 starting players in that game and now 2 of them are on the Knicks. Not too shabby.

I don't know ... they weren't going to win with those players, so I see it as a win win cuz now they can attract other players with Ama're and Melo
My point was that if the Knicks could have acquired him in the summer as a FA they could have also retained Felton, Gallinari, etc. making them better, faster. But, I agree with the Knicks' decision that they felt it was critical to get Melo and couldn't leave it up to chance....

My point was that if the Knicks could have acquired him in the summer as a FA they could have also retained Felton, Gallinari, etc. making them better, faster. But, I agree with the Knicks' decision that they felt it was critical to get Melo and couldn't leave it up to chance....

Yeah, Carmelo wants a contract now, before the CBA expires. Would he have accepted a contract from the Nets? Who knows...not even sure if Carmelo knows. At different points he said both that he would and he wouldn't.

Sandra

Was Melo a FA in the summer? I thought he was under contract already.

It could be that, when a firmer cap is established, draft picks will increase in relative value.

This year, with a salary cap of around $58 or $59 million, the Celtics, Lakers, Magic and Mavericks all have payrolls that exceed the cap by an average of nearly $30 million, whereas Chicago, San Antonio and surprisingly, Miami, all exceed it by $10 million or less.

A couple of years ago, the Knicks had a payroll of $120 million yet were only competing for last place. That's what having Isiah Thomas as General Manager gets you.

I'll have to wait and see what the Knicks 2011-2012 payroll looks like before I can pontificate on the optimality of their situation, but when you figure that the $11 million Curry contract that was coming off next year's books will eventually be displaced by a long term contract to Anthony that will fully utilize next year's theoretical cap space, then the Knicks will be at or near the new cap when it is determines, and so they will no longer be in the "max" competitions. They will instead be in a position like the Boston Celtics were last summer, when they had to get the best players with their mid-level exception and veteran minimum contracts. It got them Shaq and Delonte West for a little over a million a year each, and Jermaine O'Neil for the more lucrative mid-level exception. The Knicks will now be next season's most desirable destination for aging and rehabbing players, but I can't imagine how, under any possible new collective bargaining agreement, they would have the means to acquire Howard or Paul without giving up Stoudemire or Anthony.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)