According to Denver Post...the Knicks get 'Melo....

Giving first round picks up for players like Gallinari, Felton and Mozgov, just to tweak the Knicks, would be a mistake. Prokhorov needs to focus less on the Knicks and more on the Nets.

Sandra

I don't think it was to tweak them as much as he might really want those players. He did exactly what he wanted the Knicks to do....give up more than wanted. I would not be suprised that he knew for sure that he was not gonna get him and just jacked up the price on purpose. Hell, the Red Sox and the Yankees do that to each other all the time.

For whatever reason, draft picks aren't nearly as a commodity as they are in the NFL. In the NBA, it seems draft picks are thrown around without much thought.

On the surface, the Knicks just got one of the top 10 players in the league and gave up a few second tier players in return. It really comes down to this though for the Knicks, would you rather have Galarni/Felton or Melo/Billups?

It's becoming more apparent to these players that one superstar can't win it by themselves, so they're teaming up. Melo and Amare will be together for at least 4 more years. Could they also swoon Chris Paul in the near future? I still think they are a bench and an additional star away from being more than a 5 seed in the East.

Could Michael have won his 6 titles without Pippen? Kobe without Shaq, Kobe without Gasol? Pierce without KG AND Allen? The lists goes on and on. I don't know of too many if not any NBA Championships that have been won be a single superstar player.

Also, kudos to Denver for at least realizing their fate and at least getting something for Melo before he became a free-agent. Teams who who had hope and were left with nothing in return included Toronto and Cleveland of last year.

What are you talking about....Both the Lebron and Bosh deals were sign-and-trade. Cleveland now owns two of Miami’s first-round draft picks starting no earlier than 2013 and continuing through 2017, the Heat’s 2012 second-round pick from New Orleans, and the future second-round pick Miami acquired from Oklahoma City. Additionally, Cleveland will have the right to swap 2012 first-round picks with the Heat. The trade also gives Cleveland a very large trade exception, which the Cavaliers can now use in trades within one calendar year. For Bosh, the Raptors, in turn, will receive a package of draft picks from the Heat and a trade exception of roughly $15 million.

...so, yeah, Cleveland and Toronto did pretty well in the trade.

I don't think it was to tweak them as much as he might really want those players. He did exactly what he wanted the Knicks to do....give up more than wanted. I would not be suprised that he knew for sure that he was not gonna get him and just jacked up the price on purpose. Hell, the Red Sox and the Yankees do that to each other all the time.

Trust me, it's a tweak. I guess you have to be here to live it. Some billionaire from Moscow is worried about the Knicks? It's just weird. The Knicks and the Nets are clearly NOT the Yankees and the Red Sox. Not even close. The Nets can suck and still pull ahead of the Knicks. Not a big accomplishment.

Prokhorov needs to stop worrying about the Knicks and start worrying about the Nets.

Sandra

Trust me, it's a tweak. I guess you have to be here to live it. Some billionaire from Moscow is worried about the Knicks? It's just weird. The Knicks and the Nets are clearly NOT the Yankees and the Red Sox. Not even close. The Nets can suck and still pull ahead of the Knicks. Not a big accomplishment.

Prokhorov needs to stop worrying about the Knicks and start worrying about the Nets.

Sandra

There is NO WAY the Nets could over take the Knicks in popularity. It's like say the Clippers can pull ahead of the Lakers in popularity. Or the JETS more than the GIANTS or METS over the Yankees or Islanders or the Rangers? Too much history to suddenly change. That happens with cities like Miami that have little sports history. Not in NYC, not in Chicago and not in LA.

Could Michael have won his 6 titles without Pippen? Kobe without Shaq, Kobe without Gasol? Pierce without KG AND Allen? The lists goes on and on. I don't know of too many if not any NBA Championships that have been won be a single superstar player.

I know dude. That's what I said. Players are finally realizing they can't win on their own, so they're joining forces.

What are you talking about....Both the Lebron and Bosh deals were sign-and-trade. Cleveland now owns two of Miami’s first-round draft picks starting no earlier than 2013 and continuing through 2017, the Heat’s 2012 second-round pick from New Orleans, and the future second-round pick Miami acquired from Oklahoma City. Additionally, Cleveland will have the right to swap 2012 first-round picks with the Heat. The trade also gives Cleveland a very large trade exception, which the Cavaliers can now use in trades within one calendar year. For Bosh, the Raptors, in turn, will receive a package of draft picks from the Heat and a trade exception of roughly $15 million.

...so, yeah, Cleveland and Toronto did pretty well in the trade.

The sign and trade was the only thing Toronto and Cleveland could salvage at the time. If both clubs knew LeBron and Bosh wouldn't be back the following year, they could've got actual players in a trade instead of some late round pie in the sky unproven draft pick.

Maybe the Nets deal fell through because Prokhorov "doesn't use computer." Seriously, in this day and age? Does this guy think he's too good for computers? This isn't Russia Prokhorov. Your billions aren't buying you anything so far here in the states besides a losing record. This is one stubborn dude....

Actual quote from the Russian Billionaire:
Maybe he sent me an e-mail but I never use computer, that’s why, maybe, I missed it or maybe carrier pigeon got lost,” Prokhorov said.

Nets owner tells team to drop Anthony deal - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

There is NO WAY the Nets could over take the Knicks in popularity. It's like say the Clippers can pull ahead of the Lakers in popularity. Or the JETS more than the GIANTS or METS over the Yankees or Islanders or the Rangers? Too much history to suddenly change. That happens with cities like Miami that have little sports history. Not in NYC, not in Chicago and not in LA.

Well, blanket statements don't work in this case...it's a little more complicated than that. Every situation is different. I'll do them in order...

1. The Rangers will never be passed in popularity by the Islanders or Devils. You can't do any more than they did...the Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups in the 80's, the Devils have won three Stanley Cups in the last 15 years, the Devils have opened up a beautiful new building...but the Rangers are the only team that has consistently sold out during that entire time.

The Devils almost moved to Nashville in the 90's and the Islanders have one foot out the door right now because they can't get an arena built on Long Island. Ranger fans were Kansas City Islander shirts to games. That tells you all you need to know.

Aside from football where they play eight home games, the Rangers are the only team that sells out each and every game regardless of their record.

2. The Knicks are ingrained in everyone's psyche. The Nets have never established any traction in the area. The Nets have been in the finals twice the last ten years, but nobody here even remembers that. There is thought that moving to Brooklyn will channel some of the Brooklyn Dodgers civic mentality, as Brooklynites have been looking for something to call their own for more than 50 years. Time will tell. I'm a Brooklynite (we moved to NJ when I was 7), but I'm sticking with the Knicks myself...

3. While the Jets may never overtake the Giants in popularity, at least not in this generation, they are a lot closer to the Giants than the arorementioned teams are to the the Knicks and the Rangers. Knick and Ranger fans know the other teams are no threat, and will probably keep moving around during this century to find fans. Giant fans are really nervous and annoyed because not only have Jet fans always had an identity, now Rex Ryan is dominating the newspapers for both good and bad reasons. And this is the NFL, where there are a lot more fans to divide among the teams.

4. The Mets/Yankees are the most interesting case. There is no denying the popularity of the Yankees, they are definitely the most popular sports team in the city. Part of that is because first and foremost New York is one of the few cities where baseball is more popular than football, and part of that is because they compete for the championship each and every year.

But a lot of people think New York is a National league town, because of the history of the Giants and Dodgers. The trials and tribulations of the Mets over the last five years have altered perception to some extent, but when the Mets are good (or at least not embarassing themselves on or off the field), their following is large and rabid. Definitely rivals the Yankees following.

Sandra

I see that Denver is still scheduled to be nationally televised at home against Boston on TNT tomorrow night and at Portland Friday on ESPN. In my opinion, Friday's Clippers/Lakers game with the same starting time would be more appealing. I wonder if a swap can be arranged in time.

Beyond that, the Nuggets are scheduled for national carriage five more times this season: March 3 against Utah, March 10th versus Phoenix, March 23 versus San Antonio, Sunday, April 3 Versus the Lakers and finally on April 6th against Dallas. Unfortunately for the networks, there aren't any more appealing games that can be made available in those time slots.

Last edited:
Well, blanket statements don't work in this case...it's a little more complicated than that. Every situation is different. I'll do them in order...

1. The Rangers will never be passed in popularity by the Islanders or Devils. You can't do any more than they did...the Islanders won four straight Stanley Cups in the 80's, the Devils have won three Stanley Cups in the last 15 years, the Devils have opened up a beautiful new building...but the Rangers are the only team that has consistently sold out during that entire time.

The Devils almost moved to Nashville in the 90's and the Islanders have one foot out the door right now because they can't get an arena built on Long Island. Ranger fans were Kansas City Islander shirts to games. That tells you all you need to know.

Aside from football where they play eight home games, the Rangers are the only team that sells out each and every game regardless of their record.

2. The Knicks are ingrained in everyone's psyche. The Nets have never established any traction in the area. The Nets have been in the finals twice the last ten years, but nobody here even remembers that. There is thought that moving to Brooklyn will channel some of the Brooklyn Dodgers civic mentality, as Brooklynites have been looking for something to call their own for more than 50 years. Time will tell. I'm a Brooklynite (we moved to NJ when I was 7), but I'm sticking with the Knicks myself...

3. While the Jets may never overtake the Giants in popularity, at least not in this generation, they are a lot closer to the Giants than the arorementioned teams are to the the Knicks and the Rangers. Knick and Ranger fans know the other teams are no threat, and will probably keep moving around during this century to find fans. Giant fans are really nervous and annoyed because not only have Jet fans always had an identity, now Rex Ryan is dominating the newspapers for both good and bad reasons. And this is the NFL, where there are a lot more fans to divide among the teams.

4. The Mets/Yankees are the most interesting case. There is no denying the popularity of the Yankees, they are definitely the most popular sports team in the city. Part of that is because first and foremost New York is one of the few cities where baseball is more popular than football, and part of that is because they compete for the championship each and every year.

But a lot of people think New York is a National league town, because of the history of the Giants and Dodgers. The trials and tribulations of the Mets over the last five years have altered perception to some extent, but when the Mets are good (or at least not embarassing themselves on or off the field), their following is large and rabid. Definitely rivals the Yankees following.

Sandra

WOW...ALL that just to basically say EXACTLY what said. Ok....thanks for going indepth I guess.

WOW...ALL that just to basically say EXACTLY what said. Ok....thanks for going indepth I guess.

LOL yeah you said there is no way the Jets could take over the Giants, or the Mets can take over the Yankees, in popularity. I told you how and why this can and in some cases is happening.

EXACTLY the same in you world I guess. :rolleyes:

Sandra

SandraC said:
LOL yeah you said there is no way the Jets could take over the Giants, or the Mets can take over the Yankees, in popularity. I told you how and why this can and in some cases is happening.

EXACTLY the same in you world I guess. :rolleyes:

Sandra

Can same as could....shoulda, coulda, woulda.....and everyone knos the rest of the saying...

We agree to disagree....and leave it at that.

Moving on...did anyone hear Donnie Walsh's response when he asked if Isiah had any input into the trade? We all know he did, and that could be why the payment to Denver skyrocketed in the last week before the trade. We also know he could be back as GM in the near future, because Dolan is just a moron.

But when asked if Isiah had input, Walsh said 'isn't he busy preparing for the NCAA tournament?'

:D :D :D :D :D

Priceless!

Everyone knows the toxic surrogate son is guiding his Florida something team to a 9-17 record this year...

Sandra

Moving on...did anyone hear Donnie Walsh's response when he asked if Isiah had any input into the trade? We all know he did, and that could be why the payment to Denver skyrocketed in the last week before the trade. We also know he could be back as GM in the near future, because Dolan is just a moron.

But when asked if Isiah had input, Walsh said 'isn't he busy preparing for the NCAA tournament?'

:D :D :D :D :D

Priceless!

Everyone knows the toxic surrogate son is guiding his Florida something team to a 9-17 record this year...

Sandra

You are ASSUMING that it went up due to Isiah. I would say the offer from the NETS had alot more to do with it than Isiah's meddling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)