Anything in the works for new HD

They are switching EVERYONE to 8PSK first... and have started donig this. This will open up a lot of bandwidth.

More HD is coming... in fact I will say what I have been told and that is "lots" of new HD is coming over the next year to DISH Network.

Cool. Can someone give me the Cliffs Notes on 8PSK and why its a big deal, I was away from Dish news for awhile. To be honest, other than one ESPN, I dont find myself wanting a channel.

They are switching EVERYONE to 8PSK first... and have started donig this. This will open up a lot of bandwidth.

More HD is coming... in fact I will say what I have been told and that is "lots" of new HD is coming over the next year to DISH Network.

I sure hope "lots" doesn't join "soon" in the Dish Four-Letter Word Hall of Shame....

any channels you can mention if you cant dont? ty for helping and saying as much as you can :)

I would be interested in knowing if the "lots" of new HD you mention means that those of us like Dothan AL with no Locals in HD are included..... to my knowledge DISH has not added any new Local HD DMA's this year..... maybe a few channels here and there..... but no complete markets......but I could be wrong.

so we will have to wait for lots of HD coming next year Scott which ones do you think will be coming this year.thanks

Cool. Can someone give me the Cliffs Notes on 8PSK and why its a big deal, I was away from Dish news for awhile. To be honest, other than one ESPN, I dont find myself wanting a channel.

8PSK (8 Phase Shift Keying) is a phase modulation algorithm.

Phase modulation is a version of frequency modulation where the phase of the carrier wave is modulated to encode bits of digital information in each phase change.

The “PSK” in 8PSK refers to the use of Phased Shift Keying. Phased Shift Keying is a form of phase modulation which is accomplished by the use of a discrete number of states. 8PSK refers to PSK with 8 states.
With half that number of states, you will have QPSK. With twice the number of states as 8PSK, you will have 16PSK.

Because QPSK has 8 possible states 8PSK is able to encode three bits per symbol.

8PSK is less tolerant of link degradation than QPSK, but provides more data capacity.
source: 8PSK

Bottom line is theoretically with 8psk you can fit twice as much bandwidth / Channels per transponders than with 4psk (QPSK), but since this would cause signal degradation, so they would add only 30% more.
so with 12 channels per TP @ QPSK, you can get 16 Channels per TP @ 8psk without losing any quality on signal.

So once this is done they can add more HD, hopefully All movie (HBO,Sho, Starz, TMC etc.) channels become available in HD, I can't really think atm, what other channels are out there that Dish doesn't have in HD yet?

So once this is done they can add more HD, hopefully All movie (HBO,Sho, Starz, TMC etc.) channels become available in HD, I can't really think atm, what other channels are out there that Dish doesn't have in HD yet?

What I would like is for them to just put more bandwidth into the HD channels we have, not really many HD channels that need to be added.

Yes from a national standpoint dish has it covered but as satellite guys we always want more :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Well, except for <cough><cough>, MLB Network... <cough><cough> I know this is in another thread, but it should be mentioned in any "missing channels" thread:rant:

MPEG2 is a standard way to encode video and is used in OTA broadcasts, DVDs, etc. It is an older standard. A newer standard MPEG4, can compress the video more and still have the same quality. By switching to MPEG4, the video will use less bandwidth so that more channels will fit on a single transponder.

Both MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 can be HD or SD. MPEG 4 is the older standard for encoding signals. MPEG 4 allows more compression and therefore more channels per transponder.

So I'm not the only one making typos. MPEG 2 is the older standard. ;)

Besides full-time HD RSNs, there really isn't anything else that Dish needs to add right away.

Have to disagree with that...........pretty sad when the local cable company has poplar channels in HD that Dish does not

besides all locals in my area that dish does not carry complete in HD
ESPNU, ESPN News, ABC FAmily, Disney, Outdoor Channel HD, Smithsonian HD, HGTV HD and there are a couple more that I am forgetting right now.

Don't care what the reason is ..................Dish needs to add these

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts