Anything in the works for new HD

Have to disagree with that...........pretty sad when the local cable company has poplar channels in HD that Dish does not

besides all locals in my area that dish does not carry complete in HD
ESPNU, ESPN News, ABC FAmily, Disney, Outdoor Channel HD, Smithsonian HD, HGTV HD and there are a couple more that I am forgetting right now.

Don't care what the reason is ..................Dish needs to add these
I can put in a request for your locals and the others. HGTV is available in HD. Where do your locals come from?

They added HD content to EA back when they were only doing EA installs for new customers, period, and then when they were willing to install an EA dish for an existing customer but only for a service charge, and they didn't care that they were still charging 119/110/61.5 customers the same amount for the channels.

I was on that set up back in mid 09, and flipped my lid when I found out that there were a handful of channels that I was paying for. They converted me to full EA when I pulled one of those annoying pest customer (the child who wants the toy and keeps asking) routines. I hate the tough customer routine, and only pull it with cell phone companies who give crap to long loyal customers who once in ten years forget to pay their bill. They finally pulled the whole if I agree to a contract then they would do it for free. Funny, I was three months in to my previous two year contract. All I added was three months. Anyway, I agree with you.

bnewt said:
Have to disagree with that...........pretty sad when the local cable company has poplar channels in HD that Dish does not

ESPNU, ESPN News, ABC FAmily, Disney, Outdoor Channel HD, Smithsonian HD, HGTV HD and there are a couple more that I am forgetting right now.

Dish already has HGTV in HD or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

As others have stated, HGTV is already in HD on E*. The Disney controlled channels (ESPNU, ESPN News, ABC Family, Disney) are the subject of a lawsuit. E* had Smithsonian for a while until they asked too much for carriage especially with all the reruns. Outdoor Channel HD is not yet available on D* or E*. As for the locals, many local channels are asking way too much for carriage in HD. The fault is not always with E*.

How about adding some of the little markets that have none of the Big Four in HD..... markets like Dothan, AL as well as many others.......

The problem Dish has with HD in small markets is that they are bumping up against the requirement that if they carry one channel in a DMA in HD, they must carry all the HD channels in that DMA by certain dates the percentage of these DMA's is rising and Dish does not have spotbeam room to add more markets when they are being forced to fill up markets they already carry.

My Lubbock market for instance, has 9 OTA HD channels with CW, MYTV, Univision and Telemundo in additionto PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. That would be a very large chunk or spotbeam territory for one DMA - and the only satellites that have spots that hit us are 110 and 61.5 (our SD locals are on 110 now) and they just moved more CONUS RSNs to 110.

I don't know if there are spots available to even give us HD locals for 9 channels.

Bottom line, it's not as simple as turning them on.

The problem Dish has with HD in small markets is that they are bumping up against the requirement that if they carry one channel in a DMA in HD, they must carry all the HD channels in that DMA by certain dates the percentage of these DMA's is rising and Dish does not have spotbeam room to add more markets when they are being forced to fill up markets they already carry.

My Lubbock market for instance, has 9 OTA HD channels with CW, MYTV, Univision and Telemundo in additionto PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. That would be a very large chunk or spotbeam territory for one DMA - and the only satellites that have spots that hit us are 110 and 61.5 (our SD locals are on 110 now) and they just moved more CONUS RSNs to 110.

I don't know if there are spots available to even give us HD locals for 9 channels.

Bottom line, it's not as simple as turning them on.

Thanks......... I guess theres not much those of us without HD locals can do.......... and based on what you wrote it doesn't appear likely that we will be seeing them anytime soon. I can assure you that there aren't 9 HD local OTA stations available in Dothan AL...... perhaps DISH could/should prioritize those smaller markets.

It's frustrating that DISH doesn't appear to be able to provide a plan for what they are doing, if anything to address this issue.......perhaps there silence is the answer?

hey scott do you know of any new hd channels that might be coming our way real soon?i wish dish network would add some new HD Channels i am getting really depressed.I wish Dish would add some more basic HD Channels.Sorry to rant on about this.

We have channels that they can put up in HD...they are DISNEY!!!! ESPN NEWS!!! Fix this problem Dish and fix it now. Whats the point of asking for more HD channels when they will just take others away at the drop of a hat. I understand its mostly Disney/ABC doing this but something has to give its been almost 2 years.

blugras said:
hey scott do you know of any new hd channels that might be coming our way real soon?i wish dish network would add some new HD Channels i am getting really depressed.I wish Dish would add some more basic HD Channels.Sorry to rant on about this.
Well you may be sorry, but you continue to rant when Dish's main HD issue regards local RSN's. They have some very good HD channels that Directv doesn't have, including Epix, Epix 2, BBCA, and AMC. And in all honesty, many of the channels that exist in HD are redundant as it is. People want more HD, but other than the RSN's (sporting events wise), there really isn't much more original programming available to put in HD that isn't already available somewhere.

Somebody had better call Charlie and tell him Dish needs to hurry up and add something in HD, or we may have to put blugras on suicide watch. He said he was getting really depressed because they have not added anything lately.

Hey, it's not Wednesday. What are you doing here??

I know you can't help yourself. Maybe a psychiatrist can.;)

bluegras said:

As I told you before they have no more room for HD channels. :rolleyes No need to get depressed about HD. Dish already has many HD channels that DirecTV dosen't.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

if you want to know i am already seeing a psychiatrist no i am not going to commit suicide i am just down and out not seeing adding any new HD Channels you know that the last one was VeriaHD.there are fiour HD Channels that need to be added in the Top 200 WE,Ovation,Oxygen,NUVO.yes i know its not wedensday.I wish something would happen between Dish and Disney.enough of my ranting.

if you want to know i am already seeing a psychiatrist no i am not going to commit suicide i am just down and out not seeing adding any new HD Channels you know that the last one was VeriaHD.there are fiour HD Channels that need to be added in the Top 200 WE,Ovation,Oxygen,NUVO.yes i know its not wedensday.I wish something would happen between Dish and Disney.enough of my ranting.

I do hope that Dish Network launching HD channels is not the highlight of your life. I am not being sarcastic when I say this. If it is, you really do need help. Remember, it is only television, there really is more to life than HD and Dish Network. Plus, do you really watch all of the HD channels that you wish for after they launch them? There are only so many hours in a day. One more note, practice using punctuation (commas, etc...) and capitalization, they make posts easier to read.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)