apartment quandry

xfadam

Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Hi,

I am living in an apartment building that has been prewired for DishNetwork, however the wiring is the 34 switches - so one line per apartment. This means obviously that I can't get one of the new receivers that are for 1 or 2 TVs.

Is there any way to work around this - to get a 622 to work with a 34 switch?

Thanks for any suggestions, shots in the dark, etc.

Adam

thx for the reply - is there any way to get a 44 switch w/o changing the entire building? that is what the tech said we would need to do.

thanks again

They would only have to change 1 switch if there are multiple switches. THey should upgrade to 44 switches anyway. But even if they only change one the only thing they would have to do is tell the other apartments on that switch to run a switch test. They would not have to change any wires or setup, unless they dont have a dish pointed at one of the HD satellites.

thx - the tech said something about all of the 34s being replaced. But I guess it sounds like only the people on my switch will need to. Is that right?

what will the upgrading of the switches cost?

will it make a difference if we are upgrading to HD when the switches are upgraded?

TIA

depends on who you ask... whatever company installed all that stuff may just go ahead and do it to get the sale.
We have a number of apartment complexes that we service, and if a customer in a building wants hd, we upgrade whatever switches and whatever we need to.... it means more customers in the long run normally.
I would just talk to whatever company installed the stuff, and see if they are willing to upgrade it, to get your business

Thank you all for your help on this...does a switch test need to be done while the dish installer is here or can it be done later?

A single tuner receiver configured for a DP34 will work fine on a DPP44 without running check switch, as long as ports 1,2,3 still go to the same LNBFs as before.

Well actually it still needs to be run because it can detect the switch, later or right off it might throw a error code such as ERROR 004- Multi-dish switch error.

Dual tuner receivers work fine with a 34 switch, you just need two feeds to it. Do you have more than one feed going to your apartment? If you have, say, a line going to your living room and another going to your bedroom, you could put the receiver in the living room and run a line from the bedroom to the receiver in the living room to get the second feed.

I have heard of someone putting a splitter, yes a splitter instead of a separator to get signal to 2 tuners, I have never tried it, nor will I.

(ok i might just for fun, but thats a dif story, the config i heard about was a dp21 switch to a splitter to the box. )

no offense dude but u seem to be in pissy mood tonight, esp w/ ur other message. try to calm down and maybe just maybe understand that things you dont like or understand do in fact work.

I believe that one it could work the only issue is how long would it work, if i happened to have a dual tuner laying around right now i would try it, i have more then enough dish stuff to play with.

no offense dude but u seem to be in pissy mood tonight, esp w/ ur other message. try to calm down and maybe just maybe understand that things you dont like or understand do in fact work.

I believe that one it could work the only issue is how long would it work, if i happened to have a dual tuner laying around right now i would try it, i have more then enough dish stuff to play with.

I'm not sure which other post you're referring to, probably the one about the moron who claims his tech 'stole' his HDMI cable. You're right, that and another thread put me in a pissy mood. As for your splitter let's think about it.

A satellite signal is from about 950mhz to 2150mhz roughly (it's late, I'm going off the top of my head). Most standard splitters pass 5mhz-900mhz...a few go to 1ghz. Most splitters won't pass voltage either. A DPP lnb or switch 'stacks' two signals on the same line, one at 950-1450mhz, the other at 1650-2150mhz. VERY few splitters can operate up to 2150mhz and even fewer can pass the 18v neccessary to operate a lnb. NO splitter can seperate the 950-1450 signal from the 1650-2150 signal. If you used a splitter that operated at 2150 mhz and passed 18 volts, both tuners would be fighting for the same signal. It's possible that one of the tuners would function, but very unlikely that both of them would. I highly doubt the receiver would pass a check switch either. If you get it to work, congrats.:hatsoff:

They should be able to take the DP34 out and replace it with a DP44 reguardless where it is installed in line with the other switches.

The only issue on the DP44 would be all the other customers hooked to it would need to run a check switch and if the inserter ever became disconnected then it would knock out everyone on the switch and anyone down line of the switch.

I offer the unmentioned, yet ultimate solution:

Buy a house. Then nobody can tell you jack about what kind of TV you can get, unless you go into a HOA situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)