Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I remember when VZW first rec'd the iPhone, they sold them like mad ! Obviously a lot of VZW customers wanted the iPhone but not bad enough to switch to ATT to get one.

Here's an article from late June that says it is NOT their best-seller anymore but is # 2, between a Razr and a Samsung Galaxy. I don't anticipate that the iPhone 5 did much either because it seems that most VZW customers really do wait for their 2-year "cheap" upgrade option and don't do it early.

This article, says VZW sold:

2.7 million (Q2, 2012)
3.2 million (Q1, 2012)
4.2 million (Q4, 2011)

iPhones.

Found even better info....
The company sold 3.4 million phones running on Google Inc.’s Android software and 3.1 million iPhones, including 651,000 iPhone 5 models in the quarter, according to Bloomberg
This article is (6) days old.

As I said a few pages ago, my local Radio Shack didn't have any Verizon per-order customers at roll-out.
Week or two later, two handsets just showed up.
They had no waiting list for 'em , either.
Couple of days later, one of the employees called up his Mom, and sold one to her.
At that time, it was the only 5 they had.

It either means ...
- low demand for iPhones by Verizon customers
- low demand for Verizon by iPhone buyers
- maybe Verizon customers don't shop at Radio Shack ;)
- really bad marketing by all three companies!

VZ probably weaker in the iPhone department since they had to steer all their customers to Android for a long time. The customers got used to it and decided they did not need an iPhone.

Hall said:
Actually, VZW sold a LOT of iPhones, but they only sell them when customers are eligible for a subsidized model.

Yep. We won't even consider it until we are eligible in June.

Yep. We won't even consider it until we are eligible in June.
Then I would surely wait for the 5S, the 6 or whatever they call the next iPhone.
(no smiley face - serious)

Mike123abc said:
VZ probably weaker in the iPhone department since they had to steer all their customers to Android for a long time.
The customers got used to it and decided they did not need an iPhone.
Well, Feb 2011, for the iPhone 4 CDMA.
Yea, that is not as long as I'd thought.

Last edited:
VZ probably weaker in the iPhone department since they had to steer all their customers to Android for a long time. The customers got used to it and decided they did not need an iPhone.

If you look at market share by OS, Android sells more phones worldwide than Apple. Android also leads in US market share.

Perhaps the ATT/Apple exclusive deal backfired in the long run.

Last I looked, Apple and Samsung were about the same market share. Samsung is the largest Android vendor but there are many.

Added on edit:
IDC reports Samsung outsold Apple 2:1 in 3q 2012.

http://m.cnet.com/news/samsung-outdoes-apple-2-to-1-in-smartphones-nokia-falters/57540923

Those numbers are just one quarter not the installed base. Of greater interest is that Samsung doubled their sales in a short period, so they must be doing something right.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Globally the iPhone suffers because in a lot of markets there are not any phone subsidies. Apple does not discount the iPhone, so it costs a fortune. There are a lot of cheap android phones available to fill in that market.

Am I weird for still having a naked iPhone 5? I like the design and style of this phone and it seems to hold up to my day-to-day handling.

One of my coworkers has a new i5 and a case for it. It reminded me of buying a rubber wrist band for a Movado Sapphire watch.

Maybe I'll feel different in another month or two, but I'm still enjoying this iPhone au natural.

Am I weird for still having a naked iPhone 5?
Yes.

Having seen many scratched, chipped, and smashed iPhones, I'd say "short sighted", too.
I believe one of the members here described his 4 as a slippery glass brick.

But it's a free country.
If you have plenty of money to replace it, at least send me the broken one. ;)

If you have the white iPhone I really do not see much of an issue if you are a careful type of person. I have a clear rubber case on mine, it is pretty minimal. I would consider not using a case, but mine is a black iPhone and I hear the black aluminum scratches easily.

I'm using the LuxeLean from iFrogz. Weighs nearly nothing and allows full access to the Lightning port.

Really liking the 5 as an upgrade from the 4. Thinner and lighter form more noticeable than you might think.

First impression:

... Thinner and lighter form more noticeable than you might think.
i got a chance to look at an iPhone 5 at my lawyers, yesterday.
It was in a thin, clear, TPU (?), case I really liked.
Holding it and my iPhone 4 (in a bumper) together, I couldn't really see much to recommend one over the other.
From a distance, then side-by-side, his secretary couldn't tell them apart.

Honestly, I was slightly disappointed, especially after playing with a Galaxy S iii.
Now I'm appreciating some of the negative comments on the 5.
Major winning feature though, is iPhone high resolution screen.
Put that on another major brand, and you'll get my attention! ;)

I was happy to see the microUSB adapter came out, but I just bought extra lightning cables, oh well. Sprint sells lightning cables 2/$32 if anyone ever needs them, no Sprint service required.

I got my iphone5 Thursday and it is everything I thought it would be, incredibly fast. Only drawback that I read about and agreed with is that it is so light and thin you don't feel like you're holding a phone. After reading a bunch of reviews I bought the Speck Card case. It holds two credit cards and my ID, and makes it feel like I'm holding a bigger phone with a good grip.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61DLPSksdKL._SL1500_.jpg

Very happy with the phone and case after the first few days.

One of our service reps wanted to show me pictures of his new grandchild and handed me his Droid. Man, that thing felt like it weighed a ton now that I'm used to my iPhone 5. No idea which Droid it was.

And my i5 is still nekked...

I upgraded from a 3GS to an iPhone 5. Didn't notice much difference in weight. The extra length pokes up more from my shirt pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts