Apple Announces new iPhone 5

When skiing I run two different skiing APPs on two different phones. On my old iPhone 3GS I run the APP for the local resort and on my current iPhone 5 I run Ski Tracks. My 3GS with bluetooth and 3G turned off and running only one GPS tracking APP went from 100% battery to 24% battery in 4 hours. My iPhone 5 running a different APP, with all antennas turned on, taking and saving pictures, and playing music went from 85% to 74% during that same time period.

I can say that the battery on the much more energy using iPhone 5 last much longer than that on the 3GS

Or, it's time to replace the battery on your 3GS with a new one!

Or, it's time to replace the battery on your 3GS with a new one!
Always been like that. My wife's and my 3GS would have to be recharged every day, and when using GPS tracking APPs, we would get about 4 hours. That is normal for those phones.

Both our iPhone 5's can go a week before needing to be recharged with just our normal use. When using GPS tracking APPs, the battery will drain about 10%-20% in 4 hours

I never had the 3GS, I started with an iPhone 4. I was always satisfied with the battery life. With my 5, I could go for a couple of days, but I'm always syncing with iTunes at night, so I'm rarely below 70%.

Rumors are rumors and are often based on wishful thinking. It doesn't matter what size a new iPhone is, they will continue to lose worldwide market share with that in the lineup as well.

But saying that isn't looking at it from all directions. Yes, their % of smartphones sold worldwide has decreased but unit sales are up. Both can happen in an overall market that is getting larger.

Exactly! Unit sales up and so is earnings. As an Apple stock holder I'm not so much concerned with % market share as I am with earnings. I will bail on Apple if I see their earnings fall off. In my world earnings are measured in $$$ not %. When I go to buy something with what I earned, I need to spend $ not %.
As an Apple user, I buy and use what works for me. ipad and my wife likes her iphone5. I prefer my T-Bolt. I suspect that those who prefer a basic smartphone that is as small as a basic cell phone yet functions like a smartphone, will buy the rumored iphone mini. If the earnings gained from that sale adds to my bottom line, I'm pleased as punch! I continue to add to my core position when the stock is trading at these ridiculously low prices.

They are already in full rumor mode about the next iPhone - Multiple sizes and more colors arriving in June... I guess we will find out in June if the rumors pan out this year.

Did any of you hear more credible sourcing, like from suppliers? My original post on the iphone mini was a single analyst who was speculating. Now everyone is talking about it and I have to wonder if this is just a grapevine expansion from that one imaginative analyst.

Even if it was from suppliers you still do not know if it will happen. Apple in the past has had test runs of different form factors only to end up not using them. They probably do a few every time to just keep the rumors and hype going.

Meh. I wonder how many iPhone users use jailbreaks. I would think that customer would be more interested in Android.

I wish Apple would allow people to customize their iPhone screens and allow widgets and live wallpaper like Android. I do miss that about Android.

Having a rough return to classes today? You are usually much more tolerant and understanding than that! :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Classes next week. Annual performance report due today. :D

Was just calling it as I see it. Apple is what it is. For me, the benefits outweigh the limitations. For others, maybe not. :)

John, for some people, the Apple system is great. These people learn to fall in line and do what Apple thinks they should be doing. Most people will love that. These are the people who naturally accept the state of the art as their limits in life.

Then there are those who want that but like to break the rules and do a few things differently. They go the route of jail breaking.

That leaves a small group who never accept the state of the art and want, and need to do their own thing. They avoid Apple products and stick with stuff like Linux or Android that is rooted. A good example of two people like this and above are me and my wife. I got her a new iphone5 and she really loves it. It can do more than she knows or wants to do. It will expand her horizons. I will remain on a non rooted Android phone as I need to do some things that the iphone5 can't do and so far, I don't need to root the phone. If I did need to root, I would.

The cool thing about iPhone is that it gives MOST people a very advanced set of capabilities that easily mesh with the rest of their technology. I'm pleased that it does that and people buy it. For you and me, iPhone lacks the options we want and need.

Before you argue that Android has a greater market share, which is true, but I suspect, many of those would be just as happy using an iPhone, assuming they also used a Mac or iPad as well. After CES I plan to get my wife's iphone and and ipad more tightly integrated and if finances allow, get her a new laptop too of Apple variety. Me? I'm really happy having my ipad for trips and if I needing to do something on a PC I just use logmein to my office computer at home.

I wish Apple would allow people to customize their iPhone screens and allow widgets and live wallpaper like Android. I do miss that about Android.
That's why I JB. iPhone 5 JB is ready, they are just waiting for Apple to release 6.1 so they do not close the exploits prior to the release.

I may end up doing that on my 4S after 6.1 comes out.

I didn't mean to rub people the wrong way (don't even go there!) :) I was just stating that I wish Apple would allow SOME flexibility in regards to things like widgets and such to allow us to customize our screens. I know JB will allow this.

So I hear this next iPhone will have a plastic case to enable a lower price point. A plastic case is also a precursor to having NFC. Has anyone heard anything about that or would like to speculate ???

(Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere - I dropped out of this thread after I decided to hold-off on the 5 for several reasons, including NFC interest.)