Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I like Apple's ecosystem (I like it even better jailbroken with the UI tweaks I prefer enabled). That said, I'd give android a shot if I wasn't locked in with my app purchases. Just getting back to where I am now would probably require an additional investment of several hundred dollars. That's a huge disincentive to switch.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I was the same way. You invest in the apps for the ecosystem and it makes it hard to leave. I felt I had to. I just feel like it's the same phone over and over. Don't get me wrong Apple makes a hell of a phone and it plays real nice with my iMac but I needed change. I just don't get why they want everyone's phone to look the same with all icons.

BTW did they ever conform r deny the use of gorilla glass on the iphone 5?

Geronimo said:
You might be right but like all apple announcements the announcement did not include as much as was rumored and that could discourage some. We shall see.

Aside from NFC, what was missing that was considered a serious rumor? If anything, there were too many leaks and there was nothing left to surprise us this time around.

If there weren't so many iterations of Android and so many manufacturers I would like Android more. I too was hoping for more from the iPhone 5 announcement. I for sure thought NFC would have been included since Passbook is an iOS6 feature and is supposed to pull up anything you have for whatever location you're in (i.e. Starbucks or the airport).

I have to ask... How can options be a bad thing? I've had an iPhone since 2007 up until the 4S came out. I got sick of the same phone over and over. I give Android credit. If you want a small phone, large phone or medium sized phone you can find one. I was the same way. I thought well if Apple doesn't make a bigger screen or add this or that we don't really need it.

Boy was I wrong. I like having options. I have a 64gig microSD card in my Razr Maxx. I got it for $70. I didn't have to pay lots of $$$ like I did with my iPhone 4 for 64gigs. If I wanted a phone with a removable battery I could get one. The Razr Maxx isn't removable but boy does it last and last. I have a music player called PowerAmp. It's awesome and you can customize it. I was sick of the iPod player in my iPhone. I didn't know what I was missing till I got fed up.

Don't let Apple fool you like they did me. Options aren't bad!

I would have preferred them to get the screen to 1280x720 instead of the odd size that they went to. Yes I know apps would have to have black bars all the way around until they adjusted to to the new resolution.

They also appeared to have removed HDMI output, which is disappointing.

I agree with you, but they did this for a multitude of reasons.
1) Because they could.
2) To keep the horizontal pixel counts symmetric for easy programming.
3) Preserve the physical width/form factor (assumes horizontal pixel density is the same DPI).

Now they have 3 pixel counts to contend with:
1) Pre-retina (don't recall res)
2) Retina (960x640)
3) W-Retina (11XX / 640)

Apple really should have changed course this year and offered 2 iPhones. Like they did with the iPod line, they really should have made the "bold" step and came out with a second form factor. Although technically they still have 2 with the old and the new, but I mean 2 new ones, this one and a large screen model. An iPhone XL would appeal to many people.

I understand your point, but that's not the way Apple does business. From a manufacturing perspective the fewer differences in components the lower the chances are of an error. These are very heavy volume, and every simplification and common element possible is to their advantage.

Aside from NFC, what was missing that was considered a serious rumor? If anything, there were too many leaks and there was nothing left to surprise us this time around.

You are right NFC is the big thing but people were also hoping for a better camera (and this one is marginally better than the 4s), wireless charging and a few other things. My point was not that this WILL cut into sales only that we have to see what it will do to sales. Personally I am unsure what I will do when I do upgrade.

I tried to answer this but it does not seem to be there. Sorry if it appears twice.

I think that sone were disappointed about lack of NFC, lack of real innovation in the camera (though this one is better) lack of wireless charging, the price of the adapter etc. But this is the inevitable result of having so many rumors before release. BTW I did not say all this WILL eat into sales only that it may and we will have to wait and see

For the 4s owners, unless LTE is a must have (a small portion of the population) it's going to be a pass especially at an unsubsidized price. For owners of older iPhone models (4/3GS/3G/iPhone) it is IMO worth the upgrade.

I don't know if I'll have 2 or 3 iPhones by the 2nd quarter of 2013, depends on whether my stepdaughter goes back to iPhone or stays on Android. I'm staying on Android.

I have to ask... How can options be a bad thing? I've had an iPhone since 2007 up until the 4S came out. I got sick of the same phone over and over. I give Android credit. If you want a small phone, large phone or medium sized phone you can find one. I was the same way. I thought well if Apple doesn't make a bigger screen or add this or that we don't really need it.

Boy was I wrong. I like having options. I have a 64gig microSD card in my Razr Maxx. I got it for $70. I didn't have to pay lots of $$$ like I did with my iPhone 4 for 64gigs. If I wanted a phone with a removable battery I could get one. The Razr Maxx isn't removable but boy does it last and last. I have a music player called PowerAmp. It's awesome and you can customize it. I was sick of the iPod player in my iPhone. I didn't know what I was missing till I got fed up.

Don't let Apple fool you like they did me. Options aren't bad!

Its not that options are a bad thing. My biggest gripes with Android are with the OS upgrade cycle and also reliability with the apps, as app programmers for Android have to deal with the sheer multitude of hardware options each phone has. Google would announce an OS upgrade and it would be close to a year before the carrier and manufacturer had an upgrade for my phone. I know you can root your phone and install custom ROMs but my issue was with the official upgrade.

Plus I hate being tied to a gmail account for my contacts and app purchases. Apple lets me use my main email account.

Its not that options are a bad thing. My biggest gripes with Android are with the OS upgrade cycle and also reliability with the apps, as app programmers for Android have to deal with the sheer multitude of hardware options each phone has. Google would announce an OS upgrade and it would be close to a year before the carrier and manufacturer had an upgrade for my phone. I know you can root your phone and install custom ROMs but my issue was with the official upgrade.

Plus I hate being tied to a gmail account for my contacts and app purchases. Apple lets me use my main email account.

I was wondering about the upgrades too but to be honest after being with iOS for that long Android was a nice change. I had Gingerbread on my Razr and ICS came pretty quick but I feel you on the waiting and the gmail account. I got tired of the whole iTunes things after while too. To each his own though. You buy what you like and what works for you.

Apple had to hold out some ideas for the next iPhone (coming out next year). That's when you'll get wireless charging, NFC, and a 3D display!

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

I am sorry, but why on earth do you need a 3D screen on a phone? I've seen some of them on Android, and it screams gimmick.

No matter what apple does some people are not happy. They changed the form factor, increased the size, ramped up the processor, cut the weight by 18%, added LTE and (hopefully are accurate about the 8 hour battery), improved the camera, improved the operating system. Taking an elegant phone that worked great, and it looks like they improved it. Its not an incremental change, it is a major upgrade. And they will sell millions of them.

Well that sucks. Just when I'm about to make the jump from AT&T to Verizon. That just gives me some more to think about before I make any changes. Although that's a feature that will rarely need to be used. It would be nice when you do need it.

I use it a lot. A lot of people downplay the importance of it, but I don't think I could go back to a carrier that doesn't support it.

Don't think it's been reported/confirmed, but 4S owners get $200 trade-in value when upgading to an iPhone 5.
So: free. Just pay the tax.
But you get a fresh clean handset, the new features, and can opt for more memory if your old one was too small.
Just got that info moments ago.

Thats what they did last year to spur sales of the 4S.
And you can bet it will work again! :)

As for talk-n-surf, I've found it immensely useful .
i use a Bluetooth headset, anyway. ;)
Works fine on Straight Talk (AT&T).

iPhone 4

Last edited:
I use it a lot. A lot of people downplay the importance of it, but I don't think I could go back to a carrier that doesn't support it.

It's not the carrier that supports it. It is the phone that has to support it. Even holds truth for CDMA networks.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

It's not the carrier that supports it. It is the phone that has to support it. Even holds truth for CDMA networks.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I should have clarified. A carrier which doesn't support the feature on the phone I want. However, it's a moot point for me. I'm staying with AT&T, and all of their 3G, Faux G and 4G phones support it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts