Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I should have clarified. A carrier which doesn't support the feature on the phone I want. However, it's a moot point for me. I'm staying with AT&T, and all of their 3G, Faux G and 4G phones support it.

Again it isn't the carriers choice. It is the phone manufacturer that made this decision. This company decided to develop a chip with only one radio. They call it a feature. You call it what you want. I call it how I see it.

This design also lacks a necessary codec and air interface for improved voice call quality and future improved 4g speeds and coverage. This was also not the carrier's choice.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

As an iPhone 4 owner, I was interested to see what the October 2011 announcement would bring. The 4s was an improvement in the camera department, and being able to support faster "4G" cellular radio standards. But it wasn't enough to make me break my 2-year AT&T commitment and I decided to wait for the iPhone 5 whatever it would be.

Now that I've read the Apple site and Tech blogs I don't feel like I'll be disappointed with the iPhone 5. It would have been nice to have the 1280x720 screen at the 326dpi. This would have yielded a slightly wider phone which would have been okay with my fingers. But if the Graphics Processing Units in the A6 can render reflections in real-time at 30 or 60 fps, I'm sure they can seamlessly scale 1280x720 HD video to 1132x640 and unless you press your nose to the screen, you won't feel cheated watching your TV or Movies. As the HD nut who has a 40" 1920x1080 HD set in his bedroom, HD is important to me. But I also understand the math and the same rules that apply for an HD set in your family room apply to your mobile, too.

A few seconds after midnight PST and the Apple and AT&T Stores are still "down". And now it's up! Now the hard question: Black or White???? :confused:

Last edited:
There is a service timeout or connection error. Please try again later.

Wham! Hammer Time!

Edit: 2nd time was the charm, iPhone 5 in black & slate coming 9/21 for me, same as before. (Well, except for the slate part.)

Time to go to bed now! G'night, everybody! :D

Last edited:
I wanted to ship it to my local Apple Store so I wouldn't have to play games with FedEx or take next Friday off and sit around the house waiting for my new phone... Wait, it must be the lack of sleep, what a great idea! "Boss, I won't be in Friday because I need to wait for the FedEx delivery truck and make sure my new phone isn't chucked into the bushes!"

Anyway, the Apple Store wouldn't let me choose that option. The option was there, but the button wouldn't work. I think it's time to contact Apple in a day or so and see if I can change that.

I have now successfully pre-ordered two iphone 5's. One for me and one for my wife. We're replacing our 2+ year old iphone4.

I pre-Ordered my iphone5 at 3:05AM directly from my iphone Apple Store app. I didn't have my wife's phone with me and couldn't figure out how to order her phone upgrade from the app on my phone, so I tried to order on the PC with a browser. Tried the Apple store and received a formal message saying that it was down while they upgraded content (not a website error) in several languages. Tried AT&T and logged in, but each attempt to check for an upgrade option failed with a P1234 website crash. Tried the Apple store using Chrome got right in. I ordered my wife's upgrade phone and two extra lightning cables and checked out at 3:30. I received confirmation emails for both orders shortly after I placed them. I opened Internet Explorer again and it still reported the Apple store was down. I checked again at 3:45AM with IE and it now reports that the store is up. I wonder if Apple was filtering users by browser type initially to ease their server load?

Ordered mine through Verizon. Had to transfer an upgrade, so it was the easiest way. worked fine. A little confusing at one point, as it seemed as if I had already selected the 5, but had to do it again. 32GB White iPhone 5 on the way, next Friday delivery. Of course, I'll be in Chicago until 5 or 6pm that day, so it will have to wait for me to get home. Oh well... same thing happened on the last iPad delivery date.

It's not the carrier that supports it. It is the phone that has to support it. Even holds truth for CDMA networks.

I beg to differ. While a phone can be made that gets around the shortcomings of a network and allows simultaneous voice and data it's not the best solution as the extra antenna takes up room that could be better used for a larger battery. Eventually, LTE will start carrying voice communication in addition to data and the problem will be solved at the level where it should be - the network.

It's not the carrier that supports it. It is the phone that has to support it. Even holds truth for CDMA networks.

So why dies it work on AT&T? Is there something different about the phone?

Last edited:
So will simultaneous data and voice work on Verizon if you're in LTE? That is one thing about AT&T I miss.

For future reference, you can change the phone # in the app.

Thanks, I see that now. I had set my alarm to wake me at 2:55 AM EDT, and I don't think my brain was fully functional until sometime after the time when I had succeeded in ordering both phones.

I woke up (without an alarm) at 2:59 and said "what the hell" and then got up and ordered one. :)

Only took about 3 minutes to do. I got my order confirmation email before the website said it was done completing my order.

It was always the carrier who couldn't do it in the past.
CDMA didn't play that game. GSM did.

Here is why adding LTE doesn't necessarily solve the problem:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/iphone-5-calls-data/

I'll go along with Apple on their decision for now.

It was never been carrier that couldn't do it. It has always been the phone.

No additional antenna needed either to do it.

Not going to even get on the subject of voice lte as that is a long way off from reality.

This company chose to not have this feature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)