Apple Announces new iPhone 5

What method did you use?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The gold master was not an OTA update. Had to download the ISPW file, and then select Option-Update to do it. I assumed it would wipe the device, but was thrilled that it didn't. Saved an hour or more. :)

THAT SAID, the first time I put iOS6 on it, it DID wipe it, and I would expect that it will wipe it for folks going from iOS5 to 6 later this week. So... Transfer purchases; update all apps in iTunes, and then Backup to iTunes; will be much quicker than a restore from iCloud.

The gold master was not an OTA update. Had to download the ISPW file, and then select Option-Update to do it. I assumed it would wipe the device, but was thrilled that it didn't. Saved an hour or more. :)

THAT SAID, the first time I put iOS6 on it, it DID wipe it, and I would expect that it will wipe it for folks going from iOS5 to 6 later this week. So... Transfer purchases; update all apps in iTunes, and then Backup to iTunes; will be much quicker than a restore from iCloud.
Interestingly enough, it wiped my iPhone 4 when I did the update but not my iPad. Go figure...

Interestingly enough, it wiped my iPhone 4 when I did the update but not my iPad. Go figure...

I am fully expecting it to wipe my wife's 4S coming from iOS5, but both my iPhone and iPad were ok. Ironically, my "iPhone" will get factory-wiped in a week anyways, when I set it up for my kid. :)

iPhone 5 preorders still available at Radio Shack.
Haven't sold out their allocation, yet.
Sprint or AT&T. Delivery next Friday.

Since I locked-in my iPhone 4 at Gazelle in anticipation of getting an iPhone 5, I have been making sure I don't do anything stupid to the 4 that would reduce its value. So what do I do the the other day but set it on the arm of the easy lounger and being the slick glass brick that it is, down it went!

Fortunately, it landed on something soft and doesn't seem to have harmed the phone cosmetically, but I need to be more careful!

I need to contact AT&T to unlock the phone before sending it to Gazelle. Has anybody here done that before? If so, how long did it take, and how can you tell if it took?

Since I locked-in my iPhone 4 at Gazelle in anticipation of getting an iPhone 5, I have been making sure I don't do anything stupid to the 4 that would reduce its value. So what do I do the the other day but set it on the arm of the easy lounger and being the slick glass brick that it is, down it went!

Fortunately, it landed on something soft and doesn't seem to have harmed the phone cosmetically, but I need to be more careful!

I need to contact AT&T to unlock the phone before sending it to Gazelle. Has anybody here done that before? If so, how long did it take, and how can you tell if it took?

yeah, that would have plain old sucked. No case for your glass phone?

I have an Incipio Feather case, but it is more for scratch protection than impact (like an Otterbox, say).

I don't know about getting a case for the 5. It's supposed to be a highly engineered work of art and it seems a shame to hide it inside a case. But that's how I felt about the 4 when I got it and eventually changed my mind.

BTW, did you order the AppleCare with yours, Mike?

...So what do I do the the other day but set it on the arm of the easy lounger and being the slick glass brick that it is, down it went!

I need to contact AT&T to unlock the phone before sending it to Gazelle.

Well, the clever devils!
An unlocked (used) iPhone is worth significantly more!
So they make the owner apply for unlocking ... Inspired.

My slick glass brick is no bigger in a colorful bumper case.
And the thin rubber rim around both front 'n back, prevent it sliding on an incline.
Under $2 shipped at Amazon.
Front 'n rear die-cut screen protectors complete the package.
Maybe another $2. - ;)

Foxbat said:
I have an Incipio Feather case, but it is more for scratch protection than impact (like an Otterbox, say).

I don't know about getting a case for the 5. It's supposed to be a highly engineered work of art and it seems a shame to hide it inside a case. But that's how I felt about the 4 when I got it and eventually changed my mind.

BTW, did you order the AppleCare with yours, Mike?

I'm curious to know how many that ordered iPhone 5's will be adding apple care. Someone should start a poll. I still haven't decided if I want to add it or not to the 2 phones I've preordered.

I'm curious to know how many that ordered iPhone 5's will be adding apple care. Someone should start a poll. I still haven't decided if I want to add it or not to the 2 phones I've preordered.

If you do not update the IPhone every time a new one comes out then the ext. warranty is worth the price.

If you think you might get the new Iphone next year then save the money and bypass the warranty.

Apple Care + provides screen breakage protection, the default one year warranty does not. Its a no brainer for me. I will order it when the phone arrives.

I have already ordered Apple Care + with the phone. If I had such protection last time I could've fixed the Home button, and if nothing else, that would've increased the resale value of the phone.

I have already ordered Apple Care + with the phone. If I had such protection last time I could've fixed the Home button, and if nothing else, that would've increased the resale value of the phone.

Nice. The AT&T site did not give me the option.

Nice. The AT&T site did not give me the option.

Well I bought an iPad through a deal at Best Buy. To get Apple Care I had to take it to an Apple store within 30 days of purchase with a receipt, so the genius bar people could inspect it and then sell me a Apple Care warranty. I did not want geek squad protection...

Important notes

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage. Schedule a Genius Bar appointment

See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details

Well I bought an iPad through a deal at Best Buy. To get Apple Care I had to take it to an Apple store within 30 days of purchase with a receipt, so the genius bar people could inspect it and then sell me a Apple Care warranty. I did not want geek squad protection...

If you call Apple Care, and say you can't get to an Apple Store, they will sell you apple care. They have done it for me three times, with iPad2, iPad3, and iPhone.

If you call Apple Care, and say you can get to an Apple Store, they will sell you apple care. They have done it for me three times, with iPad2, iPad3, and iPhone.
I think you meant to say you can't get to an Apple Store. :D

I wasn't able to modify my order on-line to include it, so I ended up calling Apple tonight and had a nice conversation with their telephone support. The CSR was able to answer my questions regarding AppleCare and AppleCare+ and also explained that the reason I wasn't able to do anything on-line was my iPhone had changed status to Preparing for Shipment. In other words, soon it will be on its way! :)

I think you meant to say you can't get to an Apple Store. :D

I wasn't able to modify my order on-line to include it, so I ended up calling Apple tonight and had a nice conversation with their telephone support. The CSR was able to answer my questions regarding AppleCare and AppleCare+ and also explained that the reason I wasn't able to do anything on-line was my iPhone had changed status to Preparing for Shipment. In other words, soon it will be on its way! :)

Fixed it. :)

Foxbat said:

The phone doesn't need to be unlocked, just have no password.

I plan on resetting mine before sending because I don't trust them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts