Apple announces press conference to discuss fixes to the IPhone 4 hardware

I agree that bringing in the other companies was a poor choice and seems awfully childish. That's going stir up a hornets nest

But giving a free case away is good as well as acknowledging the sensor issue.

But it was mentioned later that 3rd party cases won't get refunds. Jobs basically said that those guys leak Apple's new info all the time so screw them.

I agree that bringing in the other companies was a poor choice and seems awfully childish. That's going stir up a hornets nest

But giving a free case away is good as well as acknowledging the sensor issue.

But it was mentioned later that 3rd party cases won't get refunds. Jobs basically said that those guys leak Apple's new info all the time so screw them.

I think this whole press conference has to do with the upcoming law suites concerning Apple IPhone 4 antenna issue. Apple is setting up the defense they will use in court.

It will be interesting to see how these law suites come out; will Apple become the new Dish or will they win the day?

The press conference left a strange taste in my mouth.

I didn't buy Steves numbers... I know many people who have had the antenna or proximity sensor issue and NONE of them called AppleCare because they knew calling in wouldn't get them a fix. If everyone called in and reported these issues (myself included) his numbers would have been way higher.

I have been on the fence in getting rid of my iPhone 4 because of the proximity sensor issue, and they touched on it today saying that the issue "may" be fixed by a software update.

I have been eyeing the Sprint EVO all day, and my wife is lucky they are sold out everywhere or I would have one in my hands now.

But after Apples event was done I talked to my wife and shes trying to get me to stay with AT&T and my iPhone since we just got rid of our Verizon account and moved everyone to AT&T. She does have a good point there.

But I do got to admit I am stil torn...

I don't really know what Apple could have done differently. They responded within a reasonable time frame that still allowed consumers plenty of time to return the phone, admitted the problem, proposed a work-around solution involving giving out something for free that would directly affect their revenue stream and put out data to support their findings. They also stated they would be fixing the other issue in an update.

How long did we have to wait for M$ to admit there was a RROD problem or that Vista was a nightmare? Toyota?

.....But after Apples event was done I talked to my wife and shes trying to get me to stay with AT&T and my iPhone since we just got rid of our Verizon account and moved everyone to AT&T. She does have a good point there.

If Mamma ain't happy, ..........

I didn't buy Steves numbers... I know many people who have had the antenna or proximity sensor issue and NONE of them called AppleCare because they knew calling in wouldn't get them a fix. If everyone called in and reported these issues (myself included) his numbers would have been way higher.

So, you've had the phone and been complaining about this problem on the net for 20 days or so and you've never called Apple to see if anything could be done about it? Who's fault is that?

As I also posted in another thread, Apple did release iOS 4.0.1 today to fix the lying...er correct the signal strength reading. This is the affect of this update on the signal bars.

160322-signal_strength_rescaling.jpg
And again, these graphs are mislabeled. It is not iOS 4.1, it is iOS 4.0.1.

And again, these graphs are mislabeled. It is not iOS 4.1, it is iOS 4.0.1.

That graph was made with the 4.1 beta which came out before 4.0.1 (yesterday). But both versions have the same fix to more accurately reflect the true signal strength. Ergo it is a valid graph since 4.0.1 produces the same result.

Apple has yet to acknowledge this issue at all, if they do not say something tomorrow I plan on returning my iPhone 4 and going with a Sprint EVO.

Lovin' my EVO and the signal strength is great....no matter how I hold it. :D

OK, that was a low blow, especially when you can't even ditch your brick and get an EVO since it's on backorder. I'd keep looking around. I've heard they are out there but only for new subs. A guy I know picked up a couple after dumping VZ and moving his family to Sprint just a week ago. They gave him the runaround for a bit but then buckled after the manager told the rep to sign any new customer that comes along even if they want the EVO. Sprint needs all the new subs they can get, and it sounds like they got quite a few after the EVO came out.

Last edited:
The press conference left a strange taste in my mouth.

I have been on the fence in getting rid of my iPhone 4 because of the proximity sensor issue, and they touched on it today saying that the issue "may" be fixed by a software update.

I have been eyeing the Sprint EVO all day, and my wife is lucky they are sold out everywhere or I would have one in my hands now.

But after Apples event was done I talked to my wife and shes trying to get me to stay with AT&T and my iPhone since we just got rid of our Verizon account and moved everyone to AT&T. She does have a good point there.

And what was the b.s. about people losing signal strength on the Droid Eris? No evidence of that, and certainly people not dropping calls when they touch their cheek. It was a b.s. press conference.

Scott, Go Droid! :)

And what was the b.s. about people losing signal strength on the Droid Eris? No evidence of that, and certainly people not dropping calls when they touch their cheek. It was a b.s. press conference.

My wife has the problem of touching her cheek with the Samsung Moment and it is putting people on hold all of the time. She has never dropped a call but it is annoying.

I must say, I see a single bar a lot more often, most of the time in fact, since I loaded 4.0.1. But I still make calls just fine. And Safari and the SatGuys app still work fine.

FWIW, I have an AT&T dongle on my laptop right now, and it's showing 2 bars while my iPhone shows one. Both are working just fine, here in Nowheresville, WV.

How do you know if you don't call? Do you just take someone else's word for it?
There were hundreds of reports of people calling in and being put on hold forever only to be told that there was nothing wrong with the phone and to hold it different on many sites, you should take a look at Apples official support forum for evidence of this.

If people were calling up and they were doing stuff for them trying to fix the problem I would have called.

My wife has the problem of touching her cheek with the Samsung Moment and it is putting people on hold all of the time. She has never dropped a call but it is annoying.

That is not the droid eris. :)

I think the "this happens on other phones" argument is simple b.s.

JAG72 said:

I know someone that dumped Samsung Moment for that same reason.

What I don't get is the class action lawsuit. You are within 30 days return the damn phone and quick your complaining.

The Storm had a set up flaw in that you could mute and hang up on people by pressing your face against the screen. Luckily someone developed an app to fox the issue.

Now I just have to wait until Tuesday for the Droid X.

I watched that video...and wow... that guy is arrogant like crazy! Pushes me even farther from their products after watching that. Not that I liked any of their products anyways due to the way they want to tell you what you can do with them.

As I also posted in another thread, Apple did release iOS 4.0.1 today to fix the lying...er correct the signal strength reading. This is the affect of this update on the signal bars.

160322-signal_strength_rescaling.jpg

No wonder I've always seen crazy signals with other peoples phones. That scale was totally WRONG!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)