Apple announces press conference to discuss fixes to the IPhone 4 hardware

RIM's response to Jim Jones, errrrrr, I mean Steve Jobs.

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation. RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity. Apple clearly made certain design decisions and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."

- Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie

And Nokia,

"Antenna design is a complex subject and has been a core competence at Nokia for decades, across hundreds of phone models. Nokia was the pioneer in internal antennas; the Nokia 8810, launched in 1998, was the first commercial phone with this feature.

Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying human behavior, including how people hold their phones for calls, music playing, web browsing and so on. As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict.

In general, antenna performance of a mobile device/phone may be affected with a tight grip, depending on how the device is held. That's why Nokia designs our phones to ensure acceptable performance in all real life cases, for example when the phone is held in either hand. Nokia has invested thousands of man hours in studying how people hold their phones and allows for this in designs, for example by having antennas both at the top and bottom of the phone and by careful selection of materials and their use in the mechanical design."
(source)

Even Microsoft is chiming in:
"It looks like the iPhone 4 might be their Vista, and I'm okay with that," said Kevin Turner, Microsoft's chief operating officer, in a keynote speech at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC), which runs through Thursday in Washington, D.C.
(source)

BTW - only .55% complained to applecare; the others who intended to call kept getting their calls dropped by their iPhone 4's and gave up in frustration :D

My predictions for tomorrow:
-Jobs will be very apologetic. Hardly anybody else will open his mouth.
-Everything will be blamed on a bad batch, quality control, etc. "We knew about this, it should be perfect!" sort of thing
-Anybody that bought it before a certain date can return for 3 month or so or exchange.
-Everybody will get a refund of $50 or more. No bumper talk.

If not - shorting Apple stock will be the best opportunity to make some real money...

Diogen.

Sure hope you didn't follow your own advice. Shorting stock is a big risky game best left to people who know what they are doing. I understand it enough to know to stay away from that practice.

I haven't been following too closely since I'm holding for long term gains in Apple but look for these pull backs as a buying opportunity as I can save the cash to invest. I was hoping this issue would cause a major pull back but it didn't. What I did observe was the Consumer Reports impact. That was the time to short, but I speak in hindsight.
I'm considering the old fashion way, buy low sell high right now and look to buy on Monday and sell just short of the earnings report next week. Regardless of how high those reports are it historically looks as though the best time to sell is at the run up just before the report breaks. That's my advice for you diogen. Look at what happened to Google. 24% gain over last qtr but not as good as what was predicted which was 30% so they took a nose dive. I can tell you that didn't bring a smile to my face but I'll just have to hold longer I guess. The strange thing is the reason for the less than expected earnings was because Google hired 1250 new engineers. They do bad they get kicked, They do good and they get kicked even harder... Rocket science is so much easier!

Sure hope you didn't follow your own advice.
I did. It hasn't reached the point to cover yet.
I know what stock trading is and don't need advice, thank you.

Apple is "in violation" with many stock trading "rules". Just like the tech market before March 2000.
I think it is not going to last for long. I could be wrong, I was before. Just like predicting what will happen on the press conference...

Want to make money without much work - buy City's LEAPS...:)

Diogen.

Well then you're the expert. I don't mess with options. Too much work for me and would rather just work on a balanced portfolio to build for retirement income at this stage. I know what you mean by Apple rules. You can profit from them if you recognize them which is what I have done this past 2 years. I think all the market will eventually return to nice growth but they do need to get rid of the high frequency trading. MY solution to this is to tie the trade frequency to volume of the trade. The higher the volume you trade the longer you must hold the stock with the maximum being 48 hours. The fastest trade frequency can be 5 seconds but you would be limited to a maximum volume in the trade. I'm open to advice on the numbers for those limits, but I'm pretty sure this would stop the nonsense were seeing in the market today with large fund managers using computerized trading and swing whole sectors of stocks regardless of the stock fundamentals. If we don't do something, these trading whores will bring down capitalism, turning it into a control buy a few huge investors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)