Apple asks developer to remove Android mention from App Store

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Apple asks developer to remove Android mention from App Store

Apple asks developer to remove Android mention from App Store | Software News - Betanews

Apple has asked one mobile app developer to refrain from mentioning Google's Android mobile operating system in its iTunes App store descriptions, or face rejection.
The description of the 99¢ "Flash of Genius" flash card app included the text: "Finalist in Google's Android Developer's Challenge!"

Yeah, the guy was a finalist for some Best of Android award, and Apple says, oh no, you can't mention Android. GMAFB.

The more I think about Apple's tactics, the more I want to find an alternative to itunes for music.

Yeah, the guy was a finalist for some Best of Android award, and Apple says, oh no, you can't mention Android. GMAFB.

The more I think about Apple's tactics, the more I want to find an alternative to itunes for music.
Yea what a joke! I have used i tunes a lot but think it's time to find another source!

It is not an unreasonable request. J.C. Penny's for example would probably not sell a product that had had Walmart on the label.

It is not an unreasonable request. J.C. Penny's for example would probably not sell a product that had had Walmart on the label.

So next month when the ipad arrives, Book authors and publishers who like to taunt their best sellers awards from other companies. It show perspective customers their work is exceptional, can't say that anymore that going to be reasonable? Yet a person can walk into a Barnes & Noble and see the same stuff plastered on selling material yet it doesn't effect the brick and mortar store that is unreasonable?.

Well, I have used it over the years, but I am going to find an alternative. :)
I only use it for syncing the iPod. Other than that, WM is my main one. Plus I cannot network the iTunes music library with my HR20 or PS3. I can only do with with the WM music library.

This is much ado about nothing. These sort of restrictions happen all the time. Coke doesn't let people advertise Pepsi on their web site do they? Ford doesn't allow people to advertise GM on their website do they? It's the same thing...

This is much ado about nothing. These sort of restrictions happen all the time. Coke doesn't let people advertise Pepsi on their web site do they? Ford doesn't allow people to advertise GM on their website do they? It's the same thing...

Wasn't an advertisement.

Wasn't an advertisement.
Oh please... It's in the description of a product for sale on an Apple website. The description is there to entice you to buy the product so it is, in fact, an advertisement for that product. This is no different than Microsoft not mentioning awards given to games by Sony or Nintendo -- or vice-versa.

Apple, Nokia, Motorola, Google, etc. all have real issues that need to be addressed - this sure as hell isn't one of them.

From RTFA:
During our review of your application, we found that your application contains inappropriate or irrelevant platform information in the Application Description and/or Release Notes sections.
Wow the list of magical things you can't do with your iPhone app sure is growing...:D (taken from /.)

The more publicity this gets the fewer people will be zombied by the RDF of St. Jobs.

Diogen.

Oh please... It's in the description of a product for sale on an Apple website. The description is there to entice you to buy the product so it is, in fact, an advertisement for that product. This is no different than Microsoft not mentioning awards given to games by Sony or Nintendo -- or vice-versa.

Apple, Nokia, Motorola, Google, etc. all have real issues that need to be addressed - this sure as hell isn't one of them.
I have to disagree it seems to me the programmer is proud of his work and letting people know how good a programmer he is. Seem if anything he is selling his self in affect. Apple seems scared and petty if your so much better why should it matter!

Too bad Google seem to have no interest to put some marketing $$$ into promoting Nexus One...
Wouldn't it be funny to have a series of "I'm Nexus / I'm iPhone" commercials similar to PC/Mac where iPhone takes the PC role...

"We don't need no stinkin' flash because St. Jobs says so!" :D

Diogen.

Too bad Google seem to have no interest to put some marketing $$$ into promoting Nexus One...
Wouldn't it be funny to have a series of "I'm Nexus / I'm iPhone" commercials similar to PC/Mac where iPhone takes the PC role...

"We don't need no stinkin' flash because St. Jobs says so!" :D

Diogen.
LOL Yea this would be great!:up

I don't even know how to approach this??? are you serious???

I have to disagree it seems to me the programmer is proud of his work and letting people know how good a programmer he is. Seem if anything he is selling his self in affect. Apple seems scared and petty if your so much better why should it matter!

Exactly. The developer didn't say buy this product is on the Android OS. It stated this app has been nominated for an award. Hell if I had people written app for my product and they are award winners I would be proud. Hell It would be in my next commercial.

Guys, I am with Apple on this one.

Hypothetical, say Walmart awards HP a vendor of the year award for innovation, and HP decided to print it on the box and in-store marketing materials, do you not think that Best Buy would ask HP to not print it / display it in their stores?

Does putting large company names to it make it sound different? I am perfectly fine with Apple asking it's software partners (which any developer essentially is) to not promote or display things pertaining to Android.

Smart Business Decision. I think the general thinking is influenced because it is an individual or a small company, but that shouldn't be a factor.

Guys, I am with Apple on this one.

Hypothetical, say Walmart awards HP a vendor of the year award for innovation, and HP decided to print it on the box and in-store marketing materials, do you not think that Best Buy would ask HP to not print it / display it in their stores?

Does putting large company names to it make it sound different? I am perfectly fine with Apple asking it's software partners (which any developer essentially is) to not promote or display things pertaining to Android.

Smart Business Decision. I think the general thinking is influenced because it is an individual or a small company, but that shouldn't be a factor.

A little bit of a bump, huh? ;) :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)