Apple Live Event: iPhone 6, Apple Watch

Nice to see some real science applied to this issue. I wonder if Apple will say that the iPhone is now as thin as it will ever be. While not the weakest phablet, the 6 plus isn't the strongest, either.

Maybe there's an aftermarket for Titanium frames where you send them your iPhone 6/6 plus and they put the guts into the new Ti frame?

I knew we'd finally get some credible testing done.

While not scientific, I wanted to relate this to something real world such as sitting on the phone in my back right pocket. When sitting on it in a chair where only my back right pocket area was on a pressure sensor I could measure the pounds, I did several trials and pretty much averaged 37 pounds on the right back pocket in a chair. I weigh fully clothed 187 pounds. Even if I leaned and rocked my body, I only saw 45 pounds peak force. Using these numbers it appears we would need a 550 pound man to sit in a chair with the phone in the back pocket to hit the breaking point of the phones tested. Doing the same for the Consumer reports bending test ( 90 pounds on the three point ), not break point, it would take a person weighing in at 455 pounds to bend the phone in the way it has been reported.

So I conclude that at my weight at 187 fully clothed I could easily carry the iphone 6 in my back pocket and not worry it would bend permanently. I could not sit the phone between two supports on the ground and then do a balancing act with my heel in the center, it would bend and possible break. If I buy an iphone 6 I promise I will not do that. I may stick it in my back pocket and sit on it without fear of damaging it.

Again, this was not a scientific test, just an extension of Consumer's test to put it into a real personal world perspective.

Any word when it will work on Verizon and AT&T? Daughter and family have AT&T, I have Verizon. The facetime works well though. Used to be it only worked with wifi.
Facetime over cellular only works with data share plans on AT&T, people like me with old unlimited data plans only wifi, can of course with jailbreak... but that is a small price to pay for unlimited data.

I have done FaceTime with my wife, iPhone 5 to iPad 3 over ATT.

Today, I upgraded to the gray/black iPhone 6+ 128. Est: 28 days out. Delivered to store. At that time, I can add the AppleCare, even at the ATT store.

Now, WHEN will OtterBox come out with a Defender or other case for the 6+? I'm surprised they are behind the curve on this. Might have to buy another brand. But I suspect it will be their usual overbuilt case and good luck to anybody trying to bend one in that case.

BTW, I've handled the 6+ and I just don't think it's all that big.

I ordered through Apple Store App last week. 6+ 16G AT&T Next.
I thought a few hours about it then decided to cancel that order and order the 6+ 64G. Would not let me reorder saying I was ineligable for upgrade. Got the email cancellation confirmation. Been on the phone with AT&T who blames Apple of course. After getting through to some higher ups at AT&T they tried to override system to reverse the eligibilty which should had been done as soon as I cancelled.
As of now I am locked into AT&T Next without new phone and can't upgrade for 2 years!

Facetime over cellular only works with data share plans on AT&T, people like me with old unlimited data plans only wifi, can of course with jailbreak... but that is a small price to pay for unlimited data.
I have made FaceTime video and voice calls over my VirginMobile $30/mo plan which is a current plan. I believe my wife's T-Mobile $30/mo plan works the same way, too.

I have made FaceTime video and voice calls over my VirginMobile $30/mo plan which is a current plan. I believe my wife's T-Mobile $30/mo plan works the same way, too.
I was just saying for at&t, not everyone can facetime over cellular...

So are most people using their iPhone 6 in zoom mode or standard? I can't decide which I like best.
Standard. Things are way too big already most of the time. I want the bigger screen to see more things at once, not just the same things as before but in a larger size. App optimization can't come fast enough.

Zoom.

Am I the only one not happy with the new location of the power button on the 6? I don't generally use the phone one handed so when I try to press the power button I'm usually also hitting one of the volume keys on the other side at the same time.

Zoom.

Am I the only one not happy with the new location of the power button on the 6? I don't generally use the phone one handed so when I try to press the power button I'm usually also hitting one of the volume keys on the other side at the same time.

I keep hitting the power button when taking pictures with the volume button!
Not a huge issue, but something that will require some getting used to.
On the other hand, I do not like the power button at the top, particularly on bigger phones. So, I think I still prefer it on the right side.

mike, i'm on my 4th edge contract but i bought out 3 of those. only my ipad mini remains on contract. i like it for the fact that i can make payments if i want. or buyout the contract if i have enough money. best part is i resort to month to month when i have bought out. then i can decide if i want to edge again or buy a phone on contract. doubt i will go back to contracts, especially given how fast i go through phones.

I keep hitting the power button when taking pictures with the volume button!
Not a huge issue, but something that will require some getting used to.
On the other hand, I do not like the power button at the top, particularly on bigger phones. So, I think I still prefer it on the right side.

I'm sure I will get used to it eventually. I liked power on the top because in the car I place the phone in one of the cup holders. To check for notifications on the lock screen I simply tapped the power button. Now I have to pick it up.

I ordered through Apple Store App last week. 6+ 16G AT&T Next.
I thought a few hours about it then decided to cancel that order and order the 6+ 64G. Would not let me reorder saying I was ineligable for upgrade. Got the email cancellation confirmation. Been on the phone with AT&T who blames Apple of course. After getting through to some higher ups at AT&T they tried to override system to reverse the eligibilty which should had been done as soon as I cancelled.
As of now I am locked into AT&T Next without new phone and can't upgrade for 2 years!

Finally got my 6+ 64G ordered.
After getting passed over to one csr to another and 20+ hours of phone and chat. It seems I got the one csr in the whole company that was familar with my situation and fixed it within the hour.
Gave me a months credit to my bill and will send me a cell booster for free. iPhone should be here at the end of October.

Reactions: stimpson
One of my phones is scheduled to arrive tomorrow; the other on Monday. They obviously shipped the black ones differently than the white ones. Grrr... Of course, my son's phone is the one coming tomorrow. Yes, first world problem.

Reactions: stimpson
My $200 voucher is good for 21 days. My 6+ won't be here for over 30.....

?????

My $200 voucher is good for 21 days. My 6+ won't be here for over 30.....

?????

I would think they would extend it with all of the back orders.
I'd call get them to noted on your account once approved. Then call back and ask if it was noted on your account.

I believe this is out dated info. It appears from reports and my own experience the limitation is LTE or wifi and iOS7 or higher. We do face time VZ to VZ and AT&T to AT&T. VZ to Sprint. Or any LTE to wifi which was the old limitation. AT&T does not have an exclusive on Facetime unless I misunderstood your point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)