Apple Pay

then explain to me where the credit card info is stored?
and apple pay is hackable after doing a google search.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/10/so-you-want-to-hack-apple-pay/

In the article they mention that Apple Pay may be hacked if they get your phone and a copy of your fingerprint. The Exxon hack they pointed out was out dated encryption and a dumb key fob. Essentially Apple Pay emulates a chipped credit card. A one time use transaction key is generated for each transaction. So, if the credit card machine is breached (like Target, Home Depot, etc.) the thieves only get one time use codes that were already used, and now useless. This is why CCs are switching to chipped cards. I would expect that if your phone suddenly asked you to approve a transaction you were not making, you would be sensible enough not to give it your finger print...

You are also not trusting the iPhone with your financial information. At most you are trusting it briefly with your CC information, which is then replaced by a new virtual credit card number that is actually stored in the iPhone, and tied to the device. So, even if they get your iPhone and a copy of your finger print, once you report the phone stolen the virtual numbers are rendered useless and you still have zero liability for bad charges in the US. It is no worse than losing your wallet with your CC in it. At least you do not have to cancel your CCs too because your phone was stolen.

Reactions: stimpson and Ilya
I'm not getting my hopes up with my local bank. I talk to them and I get "what's Apple pay?"
Local grocery store takes Apple pay and clerks there have no clue they had it.
Will be a while before Apple users will use this as mainstream payment IMO........unfortunately.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Saw an article (sorry, was at work and don't have the link) that said you will definitely want to set up and use the "Find my iPhone" app on your iPhone 6/6+. If it is lost or stolen, log in to your iCloud account and mark the device as "Lost" which will disable ApplePay immediately. You'll need the Unlock code to use your iPhone again. It's spelled out toward the bottom of this page: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6361

If it is lost or stolen, log in to your iCloud account and mark the device as "Lost" which will disable ApplePay immediately.
Find My iPhone is a great feature in iOS (not just for Apple Pay) that allows you to locate and even to completely wipe out your phone if it's lost or stolen. However, it only works if the phone is still connected to the network. And the first thing thieves would probably do, they would disable Find My iPhone by putting the phone in Airplane mode. Keep in mind that Apple Pay works in Airplane mode (assuming thieves somehow managed to forge your fingerprint). So, if your phone is ever lost or stollen in addition to disabling it remotely you would also want to notify your banks and disable Apple Pay on their end. The good news though is that the banks wouldn't have to replace your credit cards!

Last edited:
I yes it in Staples the other day and it worked the Cashier was shocked and told me it wasn't supposed to work.

In my experience so far, in all places where I tried Apple Pay, whether it worked or not, cashiers were absolutely clueless about Apple Pay! The only exception was Panera Bread.

Glad to hear that Staples is starting to accept Apple Pay in retail stores!

I used it a Walgreens last week and the clerk said they had never seen it used before. The cashiers at McDonalds seem to know what is going on the couple times I used it there.

I was in Walgreens the other day and when I was checking out I asked the cashier if they were set up for Apple pay. She said she had no idea. And if they were then no one else has used it. I haven't set mine up yet so I couldn't try it at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used it for the first time today at Walgreens. It worked great, but still asked for my pin. I have my debit card as default. Could that be why the terminal asked for my pin?

Most of the merchants with NFC probably are not aware that Apple Pay will work. Apple Pay was launched as though it was something unique and different that required something from the merchants that made it exclusive. Instead it is just NFC payments that any NFC reader (that is enabled) will take...

I was surprised at work this week to see that Canteen replaced all of their Vending Machines with ones with NFC and CC swipe readers. Since one of my hats is Network Guy, I wondered how they verified the transaction. It turns out they have cellular modems built in to each Vending Machine that is used not only for the payment, but can update Canteen on machine levels so they can tell if they need to make another trip to restock a machine, say during a maintenance window when we would have Contractors on-site. Too cool.

Anyway, now I need to bug my iPhone 6 Plus coworker to see if he can vend a Coke with his iPhone. The one coworker with the Nexus 5 didn't even know he had Google Wallet on his phone :rolleyes: so he was no help...

Reactions: stimpson
I was surprised at work this week to see that Canteen replaced all of their Vending Machines with ones with NFC and CC swipe readers. Since one of my hats is Network Guy, I wondered how they verified the transaction. It turns out they have cellular modems built in to each Vending Machine that is used not only for the payment, but can update Canteen on machine levels so they can tell if they need to make another trip to restock a machine, say during a maintenance window when we would have Contractors on-site. Too cool.

Anyway, now I need to bug my iPhone 6 Plus coworker to see if he can vend a Coke with his iPhone. The one coworker with the Nexus 5 didn't even know he had Google Wallet on his phone :rolleyes: so he was no help...
We have these at my work now. I impressed many when I bought my Dt Dew with my Plus!!!!!!

Reactions: Foxbat
Did you read the fine print? Using the swipe/tap costs 10¢ more than the cash price.

I did find one person who had GoogleWallet set up on their Samsung S5 but he couldn't actually use his phone to make a purchase since his carrier had no coverage where the vending machines reside. The guy with the iPhone 6+ was able to trigger a buy, but he had AT&T instead of Sprint, so does that mean that ApplePay could work without a cellular connection? I'm not sure.

Did you read the fine print? Using the swipe/tap costs 10¢ more than the cash price.

I did find one person who had GoogleWallet set up on their Samsung S5 but he couldn't actually use his phone to make a purchase since his carrier had no coverage where the vending machines reside. The guy with the iPhone 6+ was able to trigger a buy, but he had AT&T instead of Sprint, so does that mean that ApplePay could work without a cellular connection? I'm not sure.
Just vending machines, or ALL uses? ALL NFC or just Apple Pay and Wallet, as well as the more prosaic NFC?

At the vending machine at my work it's the opposite. Apple pay is the same price as cash. Swiping a CC in the traditional manner incurs a ten cent surcharge.

With Google Wallet, transaction tokens are generated in the Cloud. Hence the phone must be on-line.
Apple Pay relies on the security chip within the phone itself. So the network connection is not required.

Sorry, yes, I meant the 10¢ greater price was for using a non-cash means of payment on the Canteen vending machines. The sticker on our machine did not break it down to CC vs NFC pricing, so I assumed using anything other than coins or dollar bills had a surcharge.

Phoenix Research recently did a survey of 3000 respondents using Apple Pay reported 2/3 had an unsatisfactory experience with the service. The unsatisfactory experience was mainly in two areas: 1. Merchants were advertising Apple Pay accepted but when they went to the checkout were told the system was not working and forced to use another form of payment. 2. Cashier's would require the customer to sign a CC slip, when the transaction had already been approved and completed. No Apple Pay should require a signature. Only 1/3 of respondents claimed a trouble free use where the merchant was set up for it.

I wonder, those of you now using Apple Pay, have you experienced this with the system? Is a bad experience with Apple Pay at merchants claiming to accept the system pervasive as in 2/3? Please do not consider that the places you shop do not accept or are not set up. This survey was only about merchants who claim to be Apple Pay ready, having problems.

The only issue's I've had is the person running the cash register not knowing how to process the transaction. I use Apple Pay regularly at Whole Foods, Walgreens and McDonalds. It's not unusual at McDonalds for the clerk not to know how to process the transaction and have to ask someone else for assistance. Always gets resolved without a signature.

The Office Max/Depot I usually shop at has never received the equipment upgrades to accept Apple Pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)