Apple Pay

"The new reader can do it, but that feature is not turned on yet."

"Sign here, handle this paper..."

But I've also had:

"Wow, you're the first person I've seen use it!"

McDees and Panera seem good at it. But your fingerprint reader needs to work well.

Walked across the street to Walgreens a few minutes ago bought sunscreen used Apple Pay no issue.
Two issues I have now.
My bank debit card even though a VISA is not accepted yet and not many merchants in my area are setup with Apple Pay.

I seem to recall that by the end of this year, near field payments, presumably including Apple Pay, will be common. Don't know any figures and can't recall where I read that. My CRS is kicking in.

I wonder, those of you now using Apple Pay, have you experienced this with the system? Is a bad experience with Apple Pay at merchants claiming to accept the system pervasive as in 2/3?

My main problem with Apple Pay is that very few places actually accept it. And some places that do accept it may not have every register equipped. For example, our local Panera Bread, who was among the biggest supporters of Apple Pay and even had big ads about that at the entrance, has only two out of three registers equipped with Apple Pay. So I need to know which register to go to if I want to use Apple Pay. But whenever the equipment is present, it usually works just fine. I can remember only one time when I was asked for a signature, and a couple of times when the installed readers didn't work, but that was more an exception than a rule. In absolute majority of cases I didn't have any problems. Though most merchants still view this form of payment as exotic. Evidently customers rarely use it.

On the positive note, my local bank has just announced its support for Apple Pay. At last! So every single card I have is now compatible with Apple Pay. And last month in Vegas I was able to pay with Apple Pay in a taxi. I really like that, because for some reason I am hesitant giving my credit card to cab drivers. I feel safer using Apple Pay.

And some places where it will work, the employees know nothing about it. <sigh>

But I seem to remember that a large scale consumer education program is planned for late in the year. I suspect that near field payments are viewed as more secure, and will leapfrog past chip and pin.

BTW, both my my Chip (& optional PIN) cards have the magnetic stripe. I understand the need to shift over gradually, but in such a case is the chip really providing any extra security? Might be, because I kept using my old non-chipped card since the numbers were all the same, including the security code on the back. But the system soon refused to use the non chipped card, while accepting the same numbers on the chipped card, both having been swiped by magnetic strip. So there's a difference in their somewhere.

BTW, I've never seen a chip reader in the US. Has anyone?

BTW, I've never seen a chip reader in the US. Has anyone?

Go to Walmart with a chipped card, they will force you to use the chip reader (same with Sam's Club).

It takes some getting use to since you have to wait you can forget to get your card back out of the slot.

Reactions: navychop
Phoenix Research recently did a survey of 3000 respondents using Apple Pay reported 2/3 had an unsatisfactory experience with the service.
Is a bad experience with Apple Pay at merchants claiming to accept the system pervasive as in 2/3?

Don, I just read that report. The way I understand it, 2/3 of respondents have encountered a problem at least once ("have reported a problem at checkout"). This doesn't mean that it failed in 2/3 of the cases. The other 1/3 have not experienced a single problem. The report also states that "Apple Pay users generally give the scheme high marks and 23% expect to significantly increase use over the next 3 months"

I should read the report. Your impression seems different from the TV report.

I look forward to having the Apple watch so I can just wave my wrist near the terminal and pay. So much easier than getting out the wallet or phone and swiping a CC. I really don't do that much B&M shopping these days but places I do, I hope will have the Apple Pay with NFC working.

When you all with experience using it, do you get a paper receipt or is that e-mailed to you? Like they do at Apple stores. I wonder how security will work if your receipt get's emailed and the store uses a security person who punches a hole through your receipt as you leave the store? Here Best Buy, BJ's I've seen do that so you need a paper receipt to leave.

When you all with experience using it, do you get a paper receipt or is that e-mailed to you? Like they do at Apple stores. I wonder how security will work if your receipt get's emailed and the store uses a security person who punches a hole through your receipt as you leave the store? Here Best Buy, BJ's I've seen do that so you need a paper receipt to leave.
The store cannot possibly send me an email receipt because Apple Pay transactions are completely anonymous. The store doesn't even get my name!
The only exception is if you choose to use your frequent shopper card (e.g. Walgreens card) with your purchase. In that case of course you sacrifice your privacy for some perks. Apple Store is different - they ask for your email account there even before you decide on the payment form.

Now, the banks have all your information of course. So your bank can send you the transaction confirmation either via email (if you subscribe) or via the Passbook App. It depends on the bank. Some banks just confirm the latest Apple Pay transaction. Others, like Amex for example, notify me (via the Passbook App) about every transaction, not just Apple Pay transactions.

Part of the problem right now is that the CC industry is changing from swipe to EMV chip, and many places are adding NFC during the same upgrade. But, most merchant systems are not ready for NFC or EMV chip yet software wise, they are just putting in the hardware first and will do the software before October. It will probably be this time next year before most things work smoothly with chip readers and NFC.

I would like to try ApplePay but I haven't been able to get my phone to accept any of my credit cards. They all come back with "this bank doesn't support ApplePay at this time" even though one was an AmEx and the other was a Citi Bank MasterCard. Both organizations are listed in Apple's list of ApplePay partners.

I would like to try ApplePay but I haven't been able to get my phone to accept any of my credit cards. They all come back with "this bank doesn't support ApplePay at this time" even though one was an AmEx and the other was a Citi Bank MasterCard. Both organizations are listed in Apple's list of ApplePay partners.
Have you tried reaching out to the banks? I haven't had any problems in adding cards from partner institutions.

The card I'm really waiting for is my Discover card. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening any time soon.

I believe I had to call American Express to activate ApplePay. They wouldn't activate it through the iPhone alone.

Reactions: Foxbat
Ilya, I hadn't thought of trying that tact. It's my work card so I thought it may not be enabled for ApplePay.

That's what I first thought too. My Amex card is a corporate card. But then I called them and activated over the phone. No problem, just a few extra steps.

Reactions: Foxbat
I wonder if using Apple Pay with a CC that has cash back perks will still be honored?

I have a half dozen CC still active accounts and only see the Apple Pay logo on one of them and that one has no cash back feature. Anyone know if I can still use a cash back card?

I wonder if using Apple Pay with a CC that has cash back perks will still be honored?

I have a half dozen CC still active accounts and only see the Apple Pay logo on one of them and that one has no cash back feature. Anyone know if I can still use a cash back card?

My primary CC is a Chase Freedom card and I get points for purchases using Apple Pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)