Are all receivers leased

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stevemoore99

Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
I thought they were... even if you "bought" one on ebay, garage sale, Best Buy, etc.

How does someone know?

If they are new-in-box and they don't cost at least double the current lease entry fee, they are leased.

You cannot take anyone's word for the status. Many who have were surprised to see a lease fee show up on their bill (as opposed to a mirroring fee of the same amount).

The fun part is that if you find out too late that they are leased, DIRECTV may charge you a failure to timely activate fee that is pretty close to (or possibly more than) the outright purchase price.

Not all DirecTv receivers are leased. Up until a few years ago, most were sold outright.

Someone has told me this and I am trying to figure out if this person has any clue what they are talking about.

Unless the full price was paid for the receiver, around $700 for and HD DVR, and around $400 for HD receiver, they are leased.
HR-21 PRO is the only receiver that is never leased. These are can only be bought,not leased.

Older receivers WERE sold. However they've been leasing for at least two years now. If it is DirecTV branded it's very very VERY likely leased. If it's RCA/Hughes/Samsung/etc branded it's probably not.

There were a few, and I stress few, of us that were able to buy H-20's right after they were introduced but before DirecTV went to basically all units as leased. These are rare and I'd be more than suspicious of any H-2x/HR-2x series being resold as an "owned" unit. The HR-21 Pro would be the one exception.

All were sold prior to March 1, 2006. Most are leased since that date but all HR21Pros are sold (as are a small number of the other models, at a higher price than leasing). At the time of the switch, there were several models being offered, which could be either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.