Are Denver channels now spotbeamed?

Trouthead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Rockies
I no longer get the Denver channels. From reading lots of threads it would appear that they are now being spotbeamed. is this true, and if so what is the footprint of the spotbeam.

I am only about 250 miles North of Denver, but I now get a message that says Dish is aware of the problem and is trying to fix it, and I can watch no local channels until it is fixed.

Is it time to move back to my home town??? Been through this before with Boston channels. Are there any Conus beams left for local channels?

HD no SD yes

I guess I should have made it clear. This morning HD Denver channels would not come in. I went to work and didn't get home until about 8:30. Got the Dish is aware message. Did check the SD channels and they are coming in fine.

Is there a system problem with the Denver HD channels? Is this some problem with Dish and the local having a contract run out?

Or is it just something else.

Denver HD locals went spotbeam this morning.

6330 - KMGH [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6331 - KCNC [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6332 - KUSA [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6333 - KDVR [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6334 - KWGN [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)

Does this mean permanent? Are there any other CONUS beams for HD left? I have moved twice now. Would not bother at this point, but my locals are not in HD and after 4 years or so of HD I must admit I am spoiled. What does the Denver spotbeam for HD look like? How far north does it go?

Does this mean permanent? Are there any other CONUS beams for HD left? I have moved twice now. Would not bother at this point, but my locals are not in HD and after 4 years or so of HD I must admit I am spoiled. What does the Denver spotbeam for HD look like? How far north does it go?

Click on the beam link above. Are you not in that beam?

Thought I was smarter

Guess my knowledge base is lacking because I can't find a spot beam map anywheres or anyway. I live in Lander, WY. WOuld that be out of the spot beam for the Denver network HD transponders?

Denver HD locals went spotbeam this morning.

6330 - KMGH [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6331 - KCNC [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6332 - KUSA [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6333 - KDVR [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)
6334 - KWGN [MPEG4 HD] moved from EchoStar5 129W TP 02 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 04 Spotbeam 19 (A) (H)(Denver, CO)

In post number 4 of this thread digiblur posted the link you need to click on.

Guess my knowledge base is lacking because I can't find a spot beam map anywheres or anyway. I live in Lander, WY. WOuld that be out of the spot beam for the Denver network HD transponders?

Lander, WY is outside of the Denver spotbeam. Cheyenne, Torrington and Casper are all in it though as it only partially covers WY.

Looks like you need to find an HD local that is available on conus and those are few and far between right now. Check 148w out right now for Alaska HD locals...

Lander, WY is outside of the Denver spotbeam. Cheyenne, Torrington and Casper are all in it though as it only partially covers WY.

Looks like you need to find an HD local that is available on conus and those are few and far between right now. Check 148w out right now for Alaska HD locals...

There is a Ciel 2 spot beam (#13?) that covers the western half of WY and the eastern two-thirds of MT. I don't know if any of the markets in that area are scheduled to go up anytime soon or not. See Scott's 2/4/09 post on the Retailer Chat for a list of tentatively scheduled DMAs. The Salt Lake City spot beam (#18?) nudges into western WY so that's another possibility when those locals go up. I think the Idaho Falls locals are scheduled for later in the Spring. Maybe the spot (#12?) they put those on will cover far enough east to cacth you as well. You just have to wait and see what is lit up and then look at the signal strength for the transponder and go from there.

Dang it, I just lost my HD locals. And I was hoping that the message - about being aware of the problem meant it was just that - a problem. :(

N Montana

Same for me I was using the Denver Conus....Is there anything HD near Great Falls, Montana? Doubt I will be getting HD anytime soon here.

Watch for activity on spotbeam 13. It covers your area.

You should be getting the Billings HD's sometime after March per the Retailer Chat

100 miles away appears to be the edge of the spotbeam. Would a larger dish aimed at the 129 generate enough signal to pick up the spot beamed signal?

I have an older dish I used for the 61.5 when I lived in New England. It generated a much higher signal than the original normal size Dish freebe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)