Are there any links to MPEG4 receivers that are coming out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
HDMI should be included anyway, since it's backwards compatible with DVI since the HDMI envelops the DVI spec anyway.

My HDTV has an HDMI connector and I have an HDMI-DVI cable for our HD receiver.

charper1 said:
I see that they are charging Canada less. Canadian's also probably make less money on average compared to the US and DirecTV has less market penetration there. So they are still trying to grow that market so next season they can screw them with the NFL surcharge.

No wonder Bush is your avatar...you need to get your facts!!

NFL Sunday Ticket is provided by Bell ExpressVu in Canada NOT DirecTV. Any D* subscribers in Canada are grey market and would still pay the same price as in the US...If they are paying for it that is. If the NFL was imposing this surcharge, rather then just D* then Canadian's would have to pay it also. But instead, D* just chooses to gouge it's own customers because they can since they have no other competitor with Sunday Ticket in the States to stop them.

I've been out of the loop on this stuff for some time. To give everyone an idea here...I have two RCA DRD221RD tuners, receivers, what ever the proper term is. These things have been around awhile. You get three choices for output coax, composite, or S-Video. No DVI output, no component output, nada.

One of my receivers is randomly turning off on me. Plenty of ventilation, etc, but it just shuts off. If it dies...my decision will be made for me on wether to purchase now or wait...but until then I must ponder the possibilities. :rolleyes:

Umbra_Vipera said:
Thanks to everyone for their comments. :)

The plasma monitor is the beginning of an overall upgrade to my family's entertainment system. Most of my A/V equipment is going to need upgraded including the D* equipment for HD content. I am, as cr0mag put it, "picking my ponies." Hence, I was curious if there was any documentation on receivers for the new format. Where there's documentation, there's usually an anticipated release date. I was also hoping to get a D* box with HDMI on it to hook up to the monitor or my future A/V receiver. As far as the older D* boxes go, I don’t know about them yet because I haven’t been researching those.

FYI, for anyone who wants to recommend OTA HD, thank you, but don't bother. A friend here at work, a mapping and GIS master, has proven that I would need a tower approx. 125ft tall to get OTA HD. BTW, that’s taking into account the height of the broadcast towers. Also note that is for line of site to stations approx. 80 miles away. I’m a computer geek not a broadcast freak so I used line of site calculations in the hopes of over coming an expected broadcast range of 75 miles for HDTV.

I'm a 100 miles away from a few channels I receive, and 80 from CBS but I can get them with my 3020 Channel Master antenna and a Radio Shack booster and a Channel Master Rotator. and the antenna is 45ft high. I also live in Florida where its flat as a pancake and the worst for reception, so if you have some hills around, it should help bouncing the signal for you.
Just a thought from the Mindless

keleko74 said:
No wonder Bush is your avatar...you need to get your facts!!

NFL Sunday Ticket is provided by Bell ExpressVu in Canada NOT DirecTV. Any D* subscribers in Canada are grey market and would still pay the same price as in the US...If they are paying for it that is. If the NFL was imposing this surcharge, rather then just D* then Canadian's would have to pay it also. But instead, D* just chooses to gouge it's own customers because they can since they have no other competitor with Sunday Ticket in the States to stop them.

I do know its also distributed in Canada by Rodgers, Shaw and Star Choice, but I don't know or care who distributes, owns all or part of, or who may, or may not be the parent company of whomever.

I also do not keep up with the illegal trade and operational practises of satellite in Canada as you seem to.

I was NOT the person that originated the DirecTV/NFL Sunday Ticket ownership reference, I just was responding back to a question in the same fashion as it was posted. I had no reason to get off on who owns it.

Once again this seems to be just another cheap, stupid, troll post to make a comment on, or about BUSH rather than discussing the topic! Get over it already. You guys LOST, and then lost again and are still losing respect and constituency.

OK, end of political spanking!

The fact remains that whomever fully owns the Sunday Ticket trademark (be it the NFL) still can, and may well, charge less wholesale costs for their programming packages outside of the US for the EXACT SAME reasons I mentioned.

It is a SOLID fact, that on the average US residents have a higher income and also that the NFL has a lesser market in Canada than in the US, thus more room to grow their market. The pricing the producer charges providers outside of the US can, and in most cases does, reflect vast differences. Sometimes it is just the provider that marks a product up.

We, as non-cable provider, non-DriecTV or non-NFL officers will never know first hand unless we somehow become privy to the exact financial contracts of each deal.

JEEZ; now lets all get over all the political pot-stirring. It really has NO basis in any of these discussions threads outside those of laws up for votes and the like.

charper1 said:
JEEZ; now lets all get over all the political pot-stirring. It really has NO basis in any of these discussions threads outside those of laws up for votes and the like.

Not to get involved into political matters, but if you're tired of political pot-stirring, you could just change your avatar. Just a suggestion to calm things down...

~Alan

ah, now we are all into censoring free speech? please people, keep you heads this is totaly ridiculous. stay on topic. if you guys are offended by non-offensive avatars, may i suggest you go into YOUR control panel and turn on avatar blocking for your own protection.

charper1 said:
ah, now we are all into censoring free speech? please people, keep you heads this is totaly ridiculous. stay on topic. if you guys are offended by non-offensive avatars, may i suggest you go into YOUR control panel and turn on avatar blocking for your own protection.

I wasn't into censoring avatars, I just meant that if you were tired of having people make comments, you could stop it. Excuse me for trying to help...GEEZ!!

~Alan

Wait and see

This thread has led me to the discission to wait and see. I decided to pass up D*'s $200 voom offer to see what and when things materialize.
D* is starting to sound a lot like V* but w/o the HD pq.

Kentstater72 said:
This thread has led me to the discission to wait and see. I decided to pass up D*'s $200 voom offer to see what and when things materialize.
D* is starting to sound a lot like V* but w/o the HD pq.

Probably a wise decision!!

Umbra_Vipera said:
I've been out of the loop on this stuff for some time. To give everyone an idea here...I have two RCA DRD221RD tuners, receivers, what ever the proper term is. These things have been around awhile. You get three choices for output coax, composite, or S-Video. No DVI output, no component output, nada.

One of my receivers is randomly turning off on me. Plenty of ventilation, etc, but it just shuts off. If it dies...my decision will be made for me on wether to purchase now or wait...but until then I must ponder the possibilities. :rolleyes:

If you need to, you could replace that reciever for around $25 to $50 from any one of the dealers online. That way you don't spend very much on legacy equipment before the new rollouts happen.

charper1 said:
Once again this seems to be just another cheap, stupid, troll post to make a comment on, or about BUSH rather than discussing the topic! Get over it already. You guys LOST, and then lost again and are still losing respect and constituency.

OK, end of political spanking!

Hey charper1,

By making Bush your avatar you open the door. You claim "ah, now we are all into censoring free speech?", but at the same time chastise keleko74 for expressing his right to free speech. You can't have it both ways.

I feel like the WAF just kicked me in the groin. I've spent the last week moving funiture, buying furniture, hanging new light fixtures, etc...just for a 42" HD monitor to 'look good in the room'. I hope that I can get the quality of the images produced to 'look good in the room' or may have to build a new house.

Marriage...got to love it! :)

Umbra_Vipera said:
I feel like the WAF just kicked me in the groin. I've spent the last week moving funiture, buying furniture, hanging new light fixtures, etc...just for a 42" HD monitor to 'look good in the room'. I hope that I can get the quality of the images produced to 'look good in the room' or may have to build a new house.

Marriage...got to love it! :)

If you can afford it, payoffs work better!!! Screw the manual labor!!!

Chado said:
If you can afford it, payoffs work better!!! Screw the manual labor!!!

Divorce would be better IMO!

I just wish woman can just tell us guys in guy words what the hell they want from us. We aren't your girlfriends that you talk in cryptic english. We men aren't that far along yet.

LonghornXP said:
I just wish woman can just tell us guys in guy words what the hell they want from us. We aren't your girlfriends that you talk in cryptic english. We men aren't that far along yet.

I guess I'm lucky, growing up with a lot of women, I usually understand them better than a lot of guys... which is one of the reasons most of my friends are women!

~Alan

Alan Gordon said:
I guess I'm lucky, growing up with a lot of women, I usually understand them better than a lot of guys... which is one of the reasons most of my friends are women!

~Alan

Friends are ok, but a man has needs, which is why he puts up with the entire WAF concept.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts