Are you interested in Blu-ray 3D?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Are you interested in 3D Blu-ray?

• Yes, I'm interested in Blu-ray 3D at home.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Yes, but only if it doesn't require special glasses.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • No.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Not sure- have to see one first.

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
As the title states. Yes? No? Only if it doesn't require special glasses? Not sure- have to see one first.

I have one BD here that is 3D. It uses the red / cyan glasses.

Here's my opinion on this technology-

It is a cute gimmick. Fun for a once in awhile experience. I don't see it becoming mainstream production. First of all it does require that a special effort be made to produce a project in 3D as it requires special cameras. You can extract 2D from the 3D shoot for that version but not vice versa. So, production cost is a consideration.

The BluRay 3D home theater experience is the best effort I have seen in 3D so far. Being BluRay the 3D image effect quality is clearly present and best experienced when you watch in a viewer to screen distance that immerses you in the image. It takes me about 15 minutes every time I watch that 3D show to get used to wearing the glasses. I always get a slight headache until I settle in and relax with having to wear the colored glasses. Then it is OK. I'm sure this will vary with the individual. The natural color is modified and is not a real natural color image. You have to get used to that. This is where the Polarized system improves as the colors in those productions are all natural. Unfortunately the Polar 3D system also requires special monitor of front projector for display.

The only 3D BluRay disk I have is the Hannah Montana one that recently came out. If you're into a new gimmick for your Home theater it is worth the cost for the experience, but this technology is not ready for the average viewer. BTW- The Hannah Montana Rock concert BD also has the 2D version on the same disk. You select this at disk startup.

So, I am one that selects YES, I'm interested in 3D on Blue Ray. I don't see any harm in offering a few titles in this format.

I have seen the Mitsubisi system at NAB. It does use the glasses. They are shutter type, not Polarized. They use a look thru LCD lens and need to be connected to the TV. The glasses use a cable for most reliable connection but the system also has less reliable IR signal wireless glasses. These glasses are thick and heavy to wear. The 3D effect is better than the colored glasses but not as good as the polar system. It is also expensive and doesn't offer any programs, just demo content. Still an experiment.

Last edited:
3-D has been the next big thing ever since the '50s. It will be the NEXT big thing for another 50 years.

It is a gimmick and people will periodically go for it, but it is too much hassle for the long term. To add to it, every producer falls for the temptation to exploit the 3-D so you see legs, arms, pool cues, etc pointing straight at the camera. It gets old real fast.

Do you see anybody rushing to re-release Creature from the Black Lagoon or Kiss Me Kate in 3-D? Those are already shot that way and it would be a cheap transfer in comparison to new stuff.

Special 3-D glasses for someone who wears glasses is never a good option. When holo-suite technology is ready, I'll be all over it. :up

IMAX type 3d that uses the clear glasses is a winner, everything else is just a reason to charge more.

I haven't seen these. Are they different than the cross polarized clear lenses that they tried in the early '70s? If not, no thanks. You had to hold your head level, or you would get serious crosstalk between l and r. gave me both a headache and sore neck after an hour.

I think it's still going to be a few years before 3D can really take off in home theater environments.

Anaglyphic 3D (using red and cyan glasses) isn't much of a solution at all. It pales in comparison terribly to the full color 3D quality you see with the IMAX-3D, Real-D and Dolby 3D formats in movie theaters.

Home HDTV technology has to make improvements in refresh rates and make those faster rates in multiples of 48 frames per second (96Hz, 144Hz, 192Hz or 240Hz). Those improvements must be made commonly available across a very wide price range of TVs -not just really high end models.

Rear projection screen TVs have been falling out of favor. They're being replaced by LCD and Plasma TVs that cannot show polarized imagery. Emerging technology such as OLED has the same problem. That means it's very likely any full color 3D system for the home will have to use computer controlled/synchronized LCD shutter glasses. It will be tricky to keep those things synchronized with the refresh rate of the TV sets. One possibility is infrared control from the TV set. LCD-based IMAX 3D glasses had sync control via IR beams emitted from the walls of the theater.

In the long run I believe home theater will eventually have full color 3D solutions -especially with new, big budget movies like Avatar and Beowulf being produced natively in 3D. If there's a big enough supply of quality 3D movies the migration of 3D from theater to home will happen. It's just not going to happen until those technological hurdles are overcome.

Well, it looks like the BDA is considering two different approaches. But it'll be 2010 or 2011 before a standard is out. Clearly, Blu-ray has the capacity to support 3D. I suppose it'll be a matter of demand. I've read some reports that making a title 3D really isn't all that difficult. If that's so, and the h/w gets out there to support it, you figure pron will be the first big supporter?

Philips seems to think it can be done without glasses, but no details in that article.

Anyone hear anything about plans for future 3D games?

Please post what you think of it. I've read "high hopes" on the part of some. I don't think any of my TVs support 3D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)