ASC1 Can't read from device. Well, kind of

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
Ok. I'm peed off. I was backing up my sat positions into a file using the FTDI cable and the ASC1 Loader.
It's freezing at 19% when reading. It loads satellites and positions. Then just freezes. Nothing changed, same as it ever was.
Looked at my baud rate settings. Lowered FIFO buffer settings. 9600, 19200, 38400 baud rate.
19% and party is over.
I did not try to write to it. That would require pencil and paper to record the current positions. K-Rap!
And the chance of borking it lingers.
It will store satellite positions with the display menu.
Solutions?

Ok. I'm peed off. I was backing up my sat positions into a file using the FTDI cable and the ASC1 Loader.
It's freezing at 19% when reading. It loads satellites and positions. Then just freezes. Nothing changed, same as it ever was.
Looked at my baud rate settings. Lowered FIFO buffer settings. 9600, 19200, 38400 baud rate.
19% and party is over.
I did not try to write to it. That would require pencil and paper to record the current positions. K-Rap!
And the chance of borking it lingers.
It will store satellite positions with the display menu.
Solutions?
Has it EVER worked with the same computer you are now using? If so, what's changed on the computer since then? Windows 7 to Windows 10/11?

Has it EVER worked with the same computer you are now using? If so, what's changed on the computer since then? Windows 7 to Windows 10/11?
Yeah. Same computer. Nothing changed. The read usually takes a minute or so with a steady progress bar.
Writes take less time.
I used another pc. Same deal. It was also used once or twice. No issues. It's not like I don't read/write every 6 years. Maybe every few months and perhaps when big positional changes are needed to keep from bumping the dish for max signal with the RCU. You get it.
Just figured someone has seen it also. Thinking not many really use the cable/application.
A stinkin' global reset??

Sounds like when it gets to about the 19% mark it's hitting corrupt data and since it can't copy corrupt data it's locking up.

Doubt that it has anything to do with the ASC1. Are you using a FTDI or the Prolific converter that was shipped with the ASC1?

Any satellite names longer than 14 alpha numeric charaters?
It's the serial/usb converter you shipped.
14 characters...hmmm....will check and get back.
If so, would it still allow a write?
My format is like this for the display:
125.0 Galaxy 14
...that's 15 chars and spaces
Ku 125W Galaxy
...that's 14

That's the format from a read that I saved.
Pretty sure when setting up the grid to write that Ku 125W Galaxy was actually Ku 125W Galaxy 14.
After adding the sidecar Ku lnbf I set up the file to include those sats
So, some truncation happened during the write. Si?

Options? To keep the back and forth minimal.
Tidy up the file to no more than 14 chars/spaces?
Then try a write. Then a read?
Global reset? Make sure my dish is positioned correctly as per the excellent instructions in the loader app folder?
Then blow the corrected file back into it?
Flash it with firmware again? Then write the file?
If tidying up the file, then writing it to the unit. Chances of borking it? Seeing as how it freezes on a read.

I'm not in panic mode. Not one bit. Pretty familiar with serial coms, firmware flashes with pc board serial port and jtag pads.If the 'sun goes down' on it is a command line flash and serial comm pad set on the main board possible?

Panic averted. All names edited to 14 or less characters.
Saved to the unit. Went well. Read back. Perfect. A little slow but usual speed.
whew!
Ran the cable through my router with vhusbdarm and ran it. Launched the client on my pc. Found the virtual com port.
Perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)