ASC1 Lightning Damage?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Engineer07

Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Southeast US
I’m fairly sure my ASC1 positioner was recently damaged by lightning and it will not power up. I plan to open up the box and start checking for damage. Has anyone been there and suggest what to start looking for? Any help I can get from you will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I’m fairly sure my ASC1 positioner was recently damaged by lightning and it will not power up. I plan to open up the box and start checking for damage. Has anyone been there and suggest what to start looking for? Any help I can get from you will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sorry to hear that. Yes, I have been there although not with an ASC1. I did lose a receiver, VBox7 mover and network card in a computer though. I purchased a lightning detector and now I unplug all power and coax connections to my equipment and also the main network line when a storm with lighting approaches. I installed ASKA PT-1 surge arrestors on all my coax lines to offer some protection in case I'm not home or don't get things disconnected in time. Also have the equipment running through UPS's with surge protection. As far as the ASC1 perhaps there is a fuse that blew or there is a MOV inline that took the surge and it could be repaired. Titanium may see this and respond. If not I would message him directly. Hope you can get it sorted out. :)

Start by checking the fuse on the AC power block. If the fuse is good, open the case and check the transformer outputs for correct voltage (+/- 10-20%).

If the transformer ac voltage is present, check the main step regulator on the main PCB for input/output.

Reactions: N6BY and KE4EST
I had one that wouldn't power up one day and it was a broken solder joint on the voltage regulator next to the display cable connector. It has a tall heatsink on it.

Start by checking the fuse on the AC power block. If the fuse is good, open the case and check the transformer outputs for correct voltage (+/- 10-20%).

If the transformer ac voltage is present, check the main step regulator on the main PCB for input/output.
Tuesday evening there was a big flash and BOOM with no time in between meaning it was right overhead. It broke a neighbor’s tree and damaged his pickup truck half a block away. We thought we were home free until the next day when my wife told me the satellite doesn’t work. The ASC1 would not power up so we concluded it must have been the lightening from previous day. The fuse is good. I’ll open the box start checking the power supply circuitry.

Thanks for your help

Marty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)