At current rate, PS3 may sell less than GameCube

Just be happy that we all have tech hobbys... as long as you stay away from the bleeding edge, you get alot more for your money today than ever before...

even the PS3 is a bargain when you compare it to the $249 Nintendo back in the late 80's.

You folks do make some good points (espesically the BD storage capacity). But for joe-six-pack consumer, the bottom line is price; otherwise, BMW would be the top seller and not Toyota. Remember, many consumers are not serious gamers; nor very tech savy, and don't care about 90% of the hard facts. They want a little black box for $200 or whatever, research shows this; hell, I know plenty of parents who waited until the PS2 got down closer to the $100+ range. When my triplets got too mature for the GameCube, and asked why we didn't have a PS2, I didn't give a second thought to plunking down $120 for the console (and $300 and games and accesories). But I thought damn long and hard before dropping the $500 for the PS3 (and probably another $500 in games and accessories by year end), and if it were only for the kids (speaking as Joe consumer parent) I would have NEVER spent that kind of cake on the PS3; knowing that they might ruin it by spilling a drink (or body slamming a sibling on it!). I even have a few 30+ adult friends, who love games, who simply can NOT afford such a frivilous investment. It's all about the Benjamin's...

Footnote: Don't get me wong. I love my PS3, and I love Sony products. But they obviously suffered from "irrational exuberance", when they came up with the price-point marketing strategy for this thing. I am a 30+ (actually pushing 40) Engineer who can well afford this thing, but I still wince when I realize I will have nearly $1k into it by years end.

You're absolutely right about price... which is why the PS2 is still the biggest seller - at least in terms of software. In terms of next-gen systems and what you get for your dollar, though, I still think the PS3 is at a decent price point - although I get the same feeling when I think about the money I've put into it... well, my wife does more than me.

You're absolutely right about price... which is why the PS2 is still the biggest seller - at least in terms of software. In terms of next-gen systems and what you get for your dollar, though, I still think the PS3 is at a decent price point - although I get the same feeling when I think about the money I've put into it... well, my wife does more than me.

Sometimes it works better if you just buy it first, and just see if she notices it. "It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than beg for permission" (as they say). I got a CSW 1000w Dual-Driver sub-woofer for 60% off, it seemed like quite a bargain to me at only $400; it took my wife a week to notice, she still wasn't thrilled... but it was already there! Funny you would have thougt she would have appreciated the fact I saved us $600 :p

Sometimes it works better if you just buy it first, and just see if she notices it. "It is easier to ask for forgiveness, than beg for permission" (as they say). I got a CSW 1000w Dual-Driver sub-woofer for 60% off, it seemed like quite a bargain to me at only $400; it took my wife a week to notice, she still wasn't thrilled... but it was already there! Funny you would have thougt she would have appreciated the fact I saved us $600 :p

Believe it or not, my wife actually bought the PS3 for me one day on her lunch break... of course, the two months of constant talking about it probably just drove her over the edge... but I think it still gives her heartburn, between that $600 and the subsequent 6 games, 4 Blu-Ray's and one extra controller...

Because, from right early on, Sony said it was not just a game machine. It is intended to be a home media center.

It has plenty of room for growth, to improve that internet browser (or you can load Linux and get one you prefer). And other aspects will mature- all while the price decreases. Any I bought a cheap USB keyboard, not a fancy $70 one.

So let's see, in the not too distant future, for maybe $300-$400, you can get a game machine, an easy way to preview other games, an easy way to see movie previews, DVD player, BD player, CD player, video player, "music off the HDD" player, photo album on your TV (including slide shows), an easy way to print images (maybe it will later print on network printers), access to media on other computers on the network, an easy way to check what's on your thumb drive or other memory card, etc. AND an internet browser to at least do some minimal surfing you might want to do as something comes up from what you're watching that you want to google or otherwise pursue. And maybe do full blown surfing. You might well use it to check your email. Maybe one day it will deliver full PPV programming to the home. All in one device.

Know something? This might also be all the computer many people need. If there aren't kids doing homework that requires word processing, most people don't need or even want more. Oh wait- maybe they'll add word processing, or even if they don't, you can get a full blown office suite via the Linux you can install.

That's an awful lot of hardware that this one device replaces. It may turn out that the PS3 becomes one heck of a bargain. Maybe it already is, and we don't recognize it yet.

Because, from right early on, Sony said it was not just a game machine. It is intended to be a home media center.

It has plenty of room for growth, to improve that internet browser (or you can load Linux and get one you prefer). And other aspects will mature- all while the price decreases. Any I bought a cheap USB keyboard, not a fancy $70 one.

So let's see, in the not too distant future, for maybe $300-$400, you can get a game machine, an easy way to preview other games, an easy way to see movie previews, DVD player, BD player, CD player, video player, "music off the HDD" player, photo album on your TV (including slide shows), an easy way to print images (maybe it will later print on network printers), access to media on other computers on the network, an easy way to check what's on your thumb drive or other memory card, etc. AND an internet browser to at least do some minimal surfing you might want to do as something comes up from what you're watching that you want to google or otherwise pursue. And maybe do full blown surfing. You might well use it to check your email. Maybe one day it will deliver full PPV programming to the home. All in one device.

Know something? This might also be all the computer many people need. If there aren't kids doing homework that requires word processing, most people don't need or even want more. Oh wait- maybe they'll add word processing, or even if they don't, you can get a full blown office suite via the Linux you can install.

That's an awful lot of hardware that this one device replaces. It may turn out that the PS3 becomes one heck of a bargain. Maybe it already is, and we don't recognize it yet.

That's an awful lot of "Front End Price Loading, and Back End Promises" (as we say in the business) and for a system that could possibly be made obsolete by a competitor in 2 years. Just like the BD vd HD war, which might be pipe dreams; considering VuDu, which very well might just leapfrog over Discs at any time. The "All In One Device" is silly for such a high end product, do you also buy those "Home Theater In A Box" devices also (like that Bose 3-2-1 thing) instead of components? Not that these types of devices are bad, you just get a overall lower end product; and if it needs repair, then it is like losing all 10 devices.

Space. How much space do you want to allocate to all these things? And cost. Way cheaper than multiple devices. Of course, I have many computers. But not everyone does. Most functions mentioned work today. And will shortly cost only $400. With the right marketing, this could be a sales point.

It isn't just a game machine. I use it for BDs. Might use it soon as a quickie net surfer.

Space. How much space do you want to allocate to all these things? And cost. Way cheaper than multiple devices. Of course, I have many computers. But not everyone does. Most functions mentioned work today. And will shortly cost only $400. With the right marketing, this could be a sales point.

It isn't just a game machine. I use it for BDs. Might use it soon as a quickie net surfer.

Space is a good point, if you are a kid or live in a Dorm; but do those people have $500 to drop? (Maybe so, the youngsters are sophisticated today) Space is not an issue for me, I have 9 bays in my AV cabinet. Too bad I can't use the PS3 in there though, SINCE IT GETS TOO DAMN HOT!!! Now I am just repeating myself...

I have had issues with a Reciever and DVD player that ran hot and would act weird being in an enclosed cabinet... I now have an open sided TV stand with all my components underneath, no issues with anything overheating, and only rarely does my PS3 make excessive fan noise, and then just for a minute or so... my first 360 on the other hand (R.I.P), actually woke my wife up in the bedroom upstairs with its jet like roar when i started it up, my second one was noticebly quieter but still noisier than my Ps3. My Wii even has fan noise regularly albeit not as noticeable as the PS3, but i hear it... whenever yuo deal with CPU's and GPU's you will have heat and there needs to be somethign to cool it.

A new PS3 was announced today in Europe as well as a price cut. 40gb E399 ZERO backwards compatibility.

The introduction of the new PS3 has been determined following user feedback from thousands of existing PS3 owners as well as research into future potential PS3 owners. The new model features two USB 2.0 ports rather than four and no longer includes the multi memory card port.

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

60gb old model Starter pack (extra controller, backwards compatibility, 2 games) E499.

Source: http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4434&NewsAreaID=2

I was fully expecting for the new 40GB to be what caused me to take the plunge and get a PS3 when it showed up in the states, but without the PS2 compat., I'm out. I can't bring myself to pay for the 80GB, and I'm not buying the 40GB without the PS2 functionality so I guess I'll be waiting for the next price drop (which I think will happen in the spring around the launch of MGS4).

I was fully expecting for the new 40GB to be what caused me to take the plunge and get a PS3 when it showed up in the states, but without the PS2 compat., I'm out. I can't bring myself to pay for the 80GB, and I'm not buying the 40GB without the PS2 functionality so I guess I'll be waiting for the next price drop (which I think will happen in the spring around the launch of MGS4).

I'd think this would be a common thought. Imagine someone who has enjoyed their PS2 for a year or more... with a small collection of games they continue to enjoy. Now instead of converting that person into a PS3 user, they are removing the progression and instead just offering a new platform that Johhny PS2player will have to start his collection over on... it's now even less attractive to their existing gamers.

Like 120 million PS2s sold... and will probably be the #1 Sony console based on monthly sales through the end of 2008 at this rate.

Sony explains why there's no BC in the 40GB PS3 - Joystiq

Today:

"there's sufficient choice in the marketplace and that we're still better off using that money that we'd put into backwards compatibility in either investing in new games or using that money to help support bringing the price down."

2006:

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3."

Which makes it ok for the PS3 to run hot? :rolleyes:

Like the Sony's rootkit, this will continue to be brought up unnecessarilly even with the issue fixed for the most part.
At least the PS3 arn't dying by the dozen due to the heat.
I have other components that run hotter (622 for starters).

Only time I had problems with noise from the PS3 fan was when it was in a cabinet. Put in on the shelf, and I never heard the fan again.

At least the PS3 arn't dying by the dozen due to the heat.
I have other components that run hotter (622 for starters).

Only time I had problems with noise from the PS3 fan was when it was in a cabinet. Put in on the shelf, and I never heard the fan again.

And as negative as that publicity is, "M$" made it right, and it is still outselling the PS3 and has has been fixed for the most part. In a year, when failures are few and far between ignorant fanboys will still bring this up as if it continues to happen. I can't find the article, but it has even been stated that the failure reports were even less than expected after MS set aside the $1b to fix this.

Meanwhile Sony continues their consistent double talk that they have done since launch, further devaluing their brand and disenchanting gamers with their console.

Taking out backwards compatibility is horrible... I love my PS3, but I'm not an "ignorant fanboy" (although the 360 has them, too, Elstevo) - I never would have bought it without BC, and I hope this new move is only for the "base" model and not for the higher-priced units.

I still have twice as many PS2 games as PS3 and probably still play them twice as much (although Ratchet and Drake will change that) - I'm sure I'm not alone in this, and I imagine most of the people who are waiting for a price cut are the same people who are hanging onto and still buying games for their PS2.

Of course, you can always keep your PS2, but why would anyone want to have both hooked up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)