AT&T 622HZ (Homezone)

BTW, just read on the other site that ATT will soon decide which single satellite servie to carry.

They currently have E* cover some of its territory, D* cover the other states. The contracts are up for renewal in 02/08.

If this new 2wire box is just out now, maybe E* will stay?

FYI, Dishstore can order these Via special order. However im being told you need AT&T DSL for the VOD content to work correctly

Can you tell me how much is to order one? ATT would not place an order for me because I am a current E* sub, but I do have ATT phone and high speed DSL services. I assume even if I can get one to work with the DSL line, ATT will not provide much support since I pay E* for the TV service?

"Subject to additional restrictions and requirements, the AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver is available to eligible customers who purchase qualifying DISH Network satellite television and AT&T Yahoo! DSL service and live within ..."

Availability and functionality may be two different things. I have an AT&T Yahoo DSL modem from 2-wire and it likes Qwest bits just fine. Unless the device is doing some kind of ip look up or the Dish account location is being shared, once it's on the 'net it's on the 'net and the device shouldn't care, IMHO.

You're locked into ATT for the VOD since they do single billing. Order the VOD, it gets applied to your monthly ATT bill. Without an ATT/Yahoo account, you couldn't order VOD, or do the remote DVR programming - as that occurs through the Yahoo/ATT account as well.

I had the SD version of this box. Unless they've dramatically improved the UI of the DVR, it's nothing to get excited about imo. The internet integration is neat, but the DVR UI lacked basic functionality such as the ability to sort the list of recorded programs, or control searches. The remote access was also flaky, but I do have a more complex network than most folks. If they could combine the 622's DVR UI with the Homezone's connectivity, they'd have a great product.

Has anyone nailed down the cost on this unit? Assuming you already are paying for ATT local phone service.. And is it true that there is a $9.95/month Homezone enablement fee, along with the DVR fee?

Availability to Bellsout Customers

Anybody have any idea when HomeZone will be available to BellSouth customers now that ATT owns BellSouth? Also, any word on when ATT will decide on which satellite carrier to go with?

Existing Subscriber HD Homezone

I am a long time reader and first time poster. I have been subscribed to Dish (via ATT) for a little over a year now (211 and 311). I called up ATT today and requested to upgrade to Homezone HD.

The ATT rep told me I needed a 2-Wire modem, which she informed me would be 79.99, but after further research, she told me there was a rebate and the modem would be free!

I was still skeptical they would allow me to get the Homezone service as an existing subscriber, but I waited for them to transfer me over to the Dish people to process the receiver order.

The Dish lady told me that the receiver update would be 179.00 but there was a $50 Dish It Up rebate, which then turned out to be $100 (as of yesterday!).

So bottom line, I will be getting the new Homezone HD service as an existing subscriber for $79. My install date is July 27th (apparently the local installers are waiting for delivery on the latest and greatest Homezone HD 622 HZ receivers!). :D

First Impressions of Homezone

Finally got rid of cable (YAY) and got Homezone installed yesterday (we are in TX). Looks good so far but we do have one issue (we are previous TiVo users with DirecTV a few years ago and then with cable). We had the DVR on TV1 recording a program (in SD not HD). We then wanted to watch something else on the same TV1 (TV2 is in the bedroom), but the remote would not allow us to change the channel unless we chose a local antenna channel (we have a HD antenna as well connected to TV1).

What gives? I was under the impression that if only one program was being recorded, you should be able to watch another program on the same tv . If what is happening now is "normal", then what is the point? Did the tech install something incorrectly or did we misunderstand its features when we ordered it (watch from either tv when recording)? I can understand from the TiVo experience world that if 2 programs are recording at the same time you cannot watch live tv. This is not the case. I'm sure those with 622 experience can help me out here. :confused: I'm guessing my option is to only have one tv with both tuners to tv1 and then tv2 is sol or we get another tuner for that room. We do not use tv2 all that much and liked the feature of watching a recorded program as we are going to bed. I guess we expected too much, huh?

Love the remote, btw. Its pretty responsive esp. compared to that worthless cable DVR.

We have only had it one day so far, so I will write back again with a bit more of a review after our family has more of a chance to play with it. We also installed a 250G Hard Drive to expand as only 20G is available for HD recording vs 30 on the standard 622. It was a pretty simple install.

Thanks!

Finally got rid of cable (YAY) and got Homezone installed yesterday (we are in TX). Looks good so far but we do have one issue (we are previous TiVo users with DirecTV a few years ago and then with cable). We had the DVR on TV1 recording a program (in SD not HD). We then wanted to watch something else on the same TV1 (TV2 is in the bedroom), but the remote would not allow us to change the channel unless we chose a local antenna channel (we have a HD antenna as well connected to TV1).

What gives? I was under the impression that if only one program was being recorded, you should be able to watch another program on the same tv . If what is happening now is "normal", then what is the point? Did the tech install something incorrectly or did we misunderstand its features when we ordered it (watch from either tv when recording)? I can understand from the TiVo experience world that if 2 programs are recording at the same time you cannot watch live tv. This is not the case. I'm sure those with 622 experience can help me out here. :confused: I'm guessing my option is to only have one tv with both tuners to tv1 and then tv2 is sol or we get another tuner for that room. We do not use tv2 all that much and liked the feature of watching a recorded program as we are going to bed. I guess we expected too much, huh?

Love the remote, btw. Its pretty responsive esp. compared to that worthless cable DVR.

We have only had it one day so far, so I will write back again with a bit more of a review after our family has more of a chance to play with it. We also installed a 250G Hard Drive to expand as only 20G is available for HD recording vs 30 on the standard 622. It was a pretty simple install.

Thanks!

1. If you have the 622 set up in dual mode, you can only watch/record one thing per tuner. On tuner 1 you can record from OTA while watching SAT, or vice-versa.

2. You can either switch to single mode, making all three tuners available on a single TV, or you should have an option to make tuner 2 the default recording tuner, which will still allow you to watch something on your main TV while another program is recording. If TV2 isn't used that much, that could solve your problem.

3. You completely replaced the internal HD for this unit? Once replaced, did the extra space show up as available for recording to? Did you simply replace the drive or did you have to image the new drive from the old?

Thanks!

Could he be referring to external storage on the new 622HZ, that would be sweet!!!! :hungry:

Could he be referring to external storage on the new 622HZ, that would be sweet!!!! :hungry:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but he also said his 622 only allowed 30GB internal recording for HD which is odd. The 622 should have at least 200+GB for recording, some of the 250GB is used for VOD and other stuff.

I agree if the 622HZ includes external storage in addition to the live DSL port, it will be sweet. Hope he can confirm this.

Hehe...I'm actually a she.

We took a spare external 250G drive and attached it to the box (its leased, so we cant "pop the hood open"). We havent maxed it out yet (only being a few days). The original box has 20 hrs of HD recording and about 140 of standard recording space. I think the original 622 has up to 30 hrs of HD recording space. Sorry for the confusion.

I think I resolved the not changing channels while recording...just dont have it tuned to the channel its recording and then it knows to go to the other tuner to record.:rolleyes:

The search engine is pretty decent but a bit slow (not surprising exactly. I remember from the old DirecTV days you had to be patient to get the signal sometimes). I like to tape a lot of movies and such from specific channels like TCM, HDNet, etc. so to page through the standard guide that shows everything by only 90 minute intervals is tedious. I was expecting an option to see what is playing by channel and have "fast keys" to page by day or some sort of similar flexibility. Also, I wish there was a way to save certain keywords to where you could just pull that up instead of having to on screen type it out every time. (BTW, our remotes do not have that alpha keyboard on it; to type anything is on screen)

I tried to use the Yahoo! on line schedule a recording option, but it hasnt worked yet. Hubby thinks is a firewall issue, we just havent found the time to call att yet. Regardless, it only works if you have the master account. Sub-accounts do not work (it doesnt even give you that option). There should have been some setting for at least a co-owner. You also cannot tie in your subaccount to your existing Yahoo! account (you can with the master one).

We dont order any movies on demand or PPV; we have Netflix for those needs. But I did browse thru the selections and what was there was pretty decent and even some surprises (old Dr. Who eps were available for .99, but most were in the 1.99-5+ range).

We havent transferred any music or pictures over yet. We may do pictures sometime in the future. The LaunchCast radio came up with no issues.

It froze up on me today but I'm thinking because I was doing a wide keyword search and getting impatient. I'll continue to monitor and provide any updates.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing but he also said his 622 only allowed 30GB internal recording for HD which is odd. The 622 should have at least 200+GB for recording, some of the 250GB is used for VOD and other stuff.
They rate it in hours, not GBs. It can hold 30 hours of HD or 200 hours of SD.

"We took a spare external 250G drive and attached it to the box".
Can we get more technical details ? How ? Using external USB box ?
Do you have choice in menu where your recordings goes ?

Hehe...I'm actually a she.

We took a spare external 250G drive and attached it to the box (its leased, so we cant "pop the hood open"). We havent maxed it out yet (only being a few days). The original box has 20 hrs of HD recording and about 140 of standard recording space. I think the original 622 has up to 30 hrs of HD recording space. Sorry for the confusion.

I think I resolved the not changing channels while recording...just dont have it tuned to the channel its recording and then it knows to go to the other tuner to record.:rolleyes:

The search engine is pretty decent but a bit slow (not surprising exactly. I remember from the old DirecTV days you had to be patient to get the signal sometimes). I like to tape a lot of movies and such from specific channels like TCM, HDNet, etc. so to page through the standard guide that shows everything by only 90 minute intervals is tedious. I was expecting an option to see what is playing by channel and have "fast keys" to page by day or some sort of similar flexibility. Also, I wish there was a way to save certain keywords to where you could just pull that up instead of having to on screen type it out every time. (BTW, our remotes do not have that alpha keyboard on it; to type anything is on screen)

I tried to use the Yahoo! on line schedule a recording option, but it hasnt worked yet. Hubby thinks is a firewall issue, we just havent found the time to call att yet. Regardless, it only works if you have the master account. Sub-accounts do not work (it doesnt even give you that option). There should have been some setting for at least a co-owner. You also cannot tie in your subaccount to your existing Yahoo! account (you can with the master one).

We dont order any movies on demand or PPV; we have Netflix for those needs. But I did browse thru the selections and what was there was pretty decent and even some surprises (old Dr. Who eps were available for .99, but most were in the 1.99-5+ range).

We havent transferred any music or pictures over yet. We may do pictures sometime in the future. The LaunchCast radio came up with no issues.

It froze up on me today but I'm thinking because I was doing a wide keyword search and getting impatient. I'll continue to monitor and provide any updates.

My apology, on this type of forum we always assume him and go from there.:)

I don't know about the 622HZ but on a regular 622, you can change the guide to extended that will cover 180 mins, and by press a number then > the guide will jump ahead that number of hours, also keywords used for search in the past are all saved in a history list for you to use again. If such functions are not on 622HZ then the firmware is not that mature.

I also want to know how the external drive worked on the 622HZ, did it show up on the menu as a separate recording device?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)