AT&T 622HZ (Homezone)

622HZ = All I hoped for so far...

Well, a package arrived from UPS today with my new 622HZ receiver in it. I haven't gotten it completely set up yet, but some things I noticed thus far:

1. For those DISH subscribers unhappy about not being able to purchase the MLB package, Homezone has a section that allows you to download just about every game you want for .49 a piece!!!! I thought that was a pretty cool feature.
2. I have been trying to set up the Yahoo features with my existing router (haven't gotten the 2wire yet), and so far it is a no go even after I opened a port on it.
3. I was not expecting the receiver to come today, so I don't have an external drive to test the USB storage, but I will be purchasing one tomorrow and I will let everyone know if/how it works along with the interface.
4. I hooked up the receiver myself without an installer which surprised the DISH tech support women I called to have it activated! She said that she could activate it only after she cancelled my original work order and then reentered. I said that would be fine by me, and so she did. Well after talking to her supervisor, she said that to have the service call it would be an additional $99 now that it was already activated. I was not going to stand for that and she went back and talked to her supervisor. Finally she says she will cancel the original $179 work order (with $100 rebate), and put in a $99 service call and credit my account $20. So, it all worked out the same for me. As far as I am concerned, it is better, b/c now I don't have to wait for the rebate or be out $179 initial investment!

When I get the chance to test some more things out tomorrow I will post an update.

External storage for 622HZ doesn't work at all - no messages, no menu - nothing !

The DVR have WD 500 GB disk, but somehow AT&T/2WIRE make available only 19 hrs HD content for us. :(

Attachments

• DSCI0012.JPG
    DSCI0012.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
External storage for 622HZ doesn't work at all - no messages, no menu - nothing !

The DVR have 500 GB disk, but somehow AT&T/2WIRE make available only 19 hrs HD content for us. :(

Ditto that too here. I went out and bought a WD My Book 500GB (129 @ Best Buy this week). Plugged it in, and NADA! I am currently reformatting it to an NTFS file system to see if that will help (FAT32 out of the box).

I did however get my router (non 2wire brand) to associate with the 622HZ and I can access all the yahoo features. I have not been able to gain access to the Yahoo Web Remote yet, but I am still working on it!

Slatterie- sorry about calling you a guy earlier!!! If you read this, could you guve us more details on how you were able to pop in an external drive and have it work with the 622HZ? THANKS!!!!

I am currently reformatting it to an NTFS file system to see if that will help (FAT32 out of the box).
It won't help. The box doesn't use either format. When external drive support is available, it will re-format it with the filesystem it uses. In fact, it would just as well prefer to see a "raw" disk.

On second thought...

Well, I previously posted that I was happy with my experiences with the 622HZ, I am now retracting that. I think this will be good technology, but it is not ready for primetime.

Issues:
1. We are watching the news last night the trick play completely freaked out on me. Audio was off sync and the video completely dropped out.
2. While watching tonight, I changed channels and the box completely lost the picture and rebooted (while recording something!!!).
3. NO EXTERNAL DRIVE SUPPORT. With only 20 available hours of HD recording, I don't think this will be sufficient long term (I doubt the new firmware update with external storage will apply to the 622 HZ).

I will be calling DISH tomorrow and expressing my displeasure with the box and get a plain old vanilla 622.

That's AT&T box, so select right number ;).

Yes, I saw some issues too:
1) three seconds delay while switching HD channels
2) three-four second delay after press Guide button
3) when attempted to watch 3rd short clip from AT&T library ( already downloaded to local disk ) the box reboot itself and cut current recording session :(.

That's AT&T box, so select right number ;).

Yes, I saw some issues too:
1) three seconds delay while switching HD channels
2) three-four second delay after press Guide button
3) when attempted to watch 3rd short clip from AT&T library ( already downloaded to local disk ) the box reboot itself and cut current recording session :(.

Interesting that you would say that, because I was under the impression I would be getting the box from ATT, but I actually had to place the order through Dish. Oh well, I will call the main ATT number and normally they end up transferring me to DISH anyway.

Additionally, I have not had the delay issues as you have described above while switching HD channels or pulling up the guide (each takes about a second, which is the normal delay I have been used to from all things satellite, and electronics in general).

Farewell, Homezone

I called to cancel my 622HZ. The tech support guy whom I spoke with said that this receiver is having MAJOR problems. The main problem is the hard drive getting too hot. I read that they are using a bigger hard drive in this unit, but apparently they have not dealt with the excess heat of having a bigger drive (I assume bigger drives put out more heat, but I am not totally positive on that). Two systems reboots within a 24 hour period is unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

So, a week from today and my new VIP 622 will be here and installed :hungry:

No more Homezone!!!!!

My experience w HZ and the 622HZ

Signed up last month for Standard service. The CallerID is iffy and a known defect. The box would restart two to three times per day. Web Remote scheduling is misleading. You cannot search. You must manually scroll the Guide to the the day the program is on. You can only search the selected day.

Thought I would power-out of this by going to the 622HZ yesterday. The box continually overheats and restarts. HZ support denied any issues but reading here suggests otherwise. I bet I could fry eggs on top. FedEx is delivering a new box today. I guess I'll have to add some aftermarket cooling. The CallerID works. I can no longer connect to Web Remote although the boxes see each other and I can push media to it from my PC. It is possible the box smoked itself. I have to wait for the new one to see.

So far all I really like is its ability to seamlessly integrate the Off-Air HD Locals and even record them. HZ Customer Support is very competent and helpful. I feel kind of sorry for them trying to keep these Edsels running.

I'll report back on the new box. HZ will be nice if it ever starts working right. I was with DirecTV for ten years and am staying put with ATT/Dish for now.

The 622HZ got new FW M3.02 today; well, it was quite nervous process. After watching progress bar for couple minutes, the DVR did show standard warning screen - "Do not disconnect power, blah, blah .." and did stay with that more then 15 min (!). I did switch to cable TV and watched other program. Returned to HZ I found snow screen - WTH ? No one button on remote didn't work; I did wait 10 more minutes and decide to press 'green' power button on receiver itself. Passed a few more minutes, it did reboot and acting as usual.
Temp are 40/43/46 degree C.
Big disappointment came from fiasco to connect PocketDish - all you can do with it - transfer photos from PD to DVR. That's it. :(
Ah, USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work either (it was an idea to use for Search screen).

My replacement HZ622

Came in a box with no instructions. It appeared to be a "raw" box as it booted to a Dish menu that was totally different from the HZ menus. To set it up it wanted to know my Zip, whether it was a 300, 500, or Super, number inputs, satellite and transponder. All I knew was my zip code. The next page had check boxes for Super and Alternate. I tried but it just set there repeating transponder tests.

Called HZ support and the tech was clueless about the menu I was looking at. Said a "Dish" tech would get back to me pronto. Never happened. I tried again after acouple of hours. Went with my Zip, Super, two, 119, and 18 and on Page 2, Super and Alternate. The box started doing stuff. Over the next two hours it downloaded software, rebooted, did a hard drive repair, rebooted, downloaded more software, and finally booted to the HZ menus. I ran set up until I had to call and get the box activated. The tech made me reboot and start over. It activated after another half-hour or so.

Next, web remote would not work. Spent another hour on the phone with HZ getting the 622HZ assocaited with my modem and setting up firewall "pinholes."

After a couple hours web remote started working. Went out to dinner and came home to a pink screen stating it had updated more software. Made me lose recording Jericho.

This box runs hot too. I have it sitting on the floor perched on ABS couplings so it gets air all around.

Temps are 29 lo, 59 hi, 48 avg. It has only shut down once due to heat. I live in NV so ambient temperature is high. Our 90 beats a FL 80 any day as it is dry. Maybe the boxes just aren't designed for warmer climates.

Getting Web Remote to Work

I don't think this is a "plug and play" process. I had to call HZ support and we went through a lot of steps to get the 622HZ and the 2Wire 2700 associated. I had to do a factory reset on the modem and firewall "pinholes" had to be configured by them.

So, did you write down those port numbers what should be open for Web Remote on your firewall ?

I went to my own network setup without the 2WIRE 2701 router, initially used the wireless game adapter (XG-580) from 2WIRE. Works fine with other ( not 2WIRE ) wireless AP. But later I add 8 port switch to AV rack and using wired connection to 622HZ now.
Seen same long long lag in activation the DVR from Dish. Could be low priority for them to 'hit' the AT&T equipment.

Pinhole settings

I think they have to set them. They did make me go the /mdc page for the router Firewall- Detailed information.

This is set under Pinholes. I Xed out my personal addressing:

Pinholes
external pin-holes (191 available):pinh[0]: id 1, proto 6, sess tout 86400, pinh tout 0, arg 0 natpt|user l: 192.168.1.XX:55080, n: XX.XX.XX.XX:55080

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)