AT&T 622HZ (Homezone)

The following was sent to Dish Network retailers today...

The new AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver became available to AT&T | DISH Network customers, effective June 20, 2007. The AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver combines the capabilities of our ViP622 DVR receiver with the added ability to connect to AT&T Yahoo! DSL services to access Internet content such as photos, movies and music. Subject to additional restrictions and requirements, the AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver is available to eligible customers who purchase qualifying DISH Network satellite television and AT&T Yahoo! DSL service and live within the thirteen state region in which AT&T offers local telephone service (i.e., Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, Oklahoma, Ohio, Texas, and Wisconsin).

So does this mean that current AT&T DSL and DISH customers can order and activate one of these receivers?

I'm wondering if this will have the ability to play back your own music/pictures, similar to the D* HR-20. I think I remember seeing something about this on the non-HD HomeZone unit, but I could be wrong.

Since its just a different firmware on nearly the same ViP622 shell, it sure would be nice if E* would offer these features to existing 622 customers. Even if it was a small upgrade fee (maybe $10 one-time enabling fee), to get the additional features.

It would also be cool if they would partner with NetFlix for additional VOD content. (Or someone with a similar per-hour plan) I'm leaning towards NetFlix, as they offer a number of hours per month of on-demand content (depending on subscription level), as opposed to a fee per movie/show. (i.e. one NetFlix level allows 18-hours per month, and stopping a movie after 20 minutes only counts as 20 minutes of time. So if you don't like the show after its started, you can watch something else without it costing a whole lot.)

"Subject to additional restrictions and requirements, the AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver is available to eligible customers who purchase qualifying DISH Network satellite television and AT&T Yahoo! DSL service and live within ..."

Availability and functionality may be two different things. I have an AT&T Yahoo DSL modem from 2-wire and it likes Qwest bits just fine. Unless the device is doing some kind of ip look up or the Dish account location is being shared, once it's on the 'net it's on the 'net and the device shouldn't care, IMHO.

"Subject to additional restrictions and requirements, the AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver is available to eligible customers who purchase qualifying DISH Network satellite television and AT&T Yahoo! DSL service and live within ..."

Availability and functionality may be two different things. I have an AT&T Yahoo DSL modem from 2-wire and it likes Qwest bits just fine. Unless the device is doing some kind of ip look up or the Dish account location is being shared, once it's on the 'net it's on the 'net and the device shouldn't care, IMHO.

More likely is that ATT is serving the video on their servers for download and they do not allow them to route off their network. So, only DSL connections provided by them can talk to their servers.

EXcept I thought I read that it has Two ota tuners and you can record up to 4 things at a time. Is that still true or has it changed?

I just talked to ATT, since I am currently an E* sub, even if I cancel the account, I still need to wait 6 months to sign on to ATT/E* to get this receiver.

What i like about it is the ability to schedule recordings from a remote location as long as I have Internet access, and able to upload pictures to the reciever anytime. This is good since I often accidentally delete pictures or lose cameras/memory cards. Some were our own fault others were not, such as lost baggages at airport.