AT&T exploring Deal to sell off DIRECTV.

Probably..verizon put fiber in a tiny portion of conneticut...greenwich i think...att didnt want to spend the money

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The last I knew it was only Greenwich.

Copper gets bad when it isn't maintaned...some copper cables are over 100 years old...they have to be cleaned up to maintain service

I think I read that Stephenson was the one that thought copper lines could handle HD video and that is why he created UVerseTV? I could be wrong on that. Also I had to get a WIFI repeater to get the WIFI down to the basement. I guess that is why they can't combine Home Internet with 5G internet?

Clean copper probably could..but when you have to pay a splicer $45 an hour to maintain the copper...it gets pricey...fiber alot cheaper

Reactions: rcwilcox
I also remember reading that the reason they wanted AT&T TV was to get rid of the union jobs at the DTV plants? That it would be cheaper to maintain servers? I could be wrong on that also. If they wanted to get rid of the union jobs why keep the DTV distribution centers and the satellites?

There are not just selling directv...its the entire tv business..streaming..the whole thing...but its just a precentage...maybe a spinoff down thevriaf

It didn't sound that way ... I think they CLEARLY will be keeping the streaming portions ... IF they are lucky enough to dump the rest.

It didn't sound that way ... I think they CLEARLY will be keeping the streaming portions ... IF they are lucky enough to dump the rest.
They will have a hard time selling off the TV division at a price that makes them money. Either they sell it at fire sale prices or they hold on to it and eat the mistake.

They only went after Time Warner to compete with Comcast buying NBC. I just didn't see how AT&T was setup to run an entertainment division considering they shutdown their own in house productions. They need to focus on being a network distribution provider and stop being an entertainment company.

They just like to provide value for their shareholders...directv is making a profit..just not enough

One of the techs once told me that the network was never maintained when SBC bought it and that's why AT&T wanted to sell it off.
The problem was, they didn't allow the money or time to REPLACE what was going bad or already bad and they just wanted to try to keep fixing it ...
In my last year or so, we actually were able to get some areas replaced ... but thats just a bandade compared to the rest of the city as a whole.

Copper gets bad when it isn't maintaned...some copper cables are over 100 years old...they have to be cleaned up to maintain service

Yup ... when I left, we were still fixing 1927 lead in a large area of the city.

Ther Companies view on it is that the Copper is Fine, and they wanted to prove it, so they opened up a piece of cable and YUP, it was in great shape (yes that same 1927 cable) ... the copper is always fine being that old, UNTIL it gets opened and then the air can get to it.

The problem was, they didn't allow the money or time to REPLACE what was going bad or already bad and they just wanted to try to keep fixing it ...
In my last year or so, we actually were able to get some areas replaced ... but thats just a bandade compared to the rest of the city as a whole.
Would AT&T ever sell off their full landline network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts