AT&T is offering unlimited data for DirecTV subscribers

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It will..From what I read in the articles, current DirecTV customers can get like $500 in bill credits to help them switch. I'm thinking about it. I currently have Sprint for the unlimited data but if I go too far outside of my home area the coverage is bad. Although I wonder if it's $100/month for only the plan and then add'l for the phone under AT&T Next, or the $100 factors in a phone payment too.

I should've said for currrent Directv and ATT wireless customers. I just switched to ATT Wireless back in November.

I did receive the $500 in credits per line. I think that was a great deal. If I can get Unlimited Data, well that will be a fantastic deal. :)

Wonder if it will apply to current Directv customers, hmmmm.
The answer is yes, in that DirecTV and U-verse are both properties of AT&T.

However, it is worth really looking at the deal to see if it's worthwhile.

First, understand that this AT&T move is likely in response to T-Mobile's unlimited streaming plan for certain types of video streams. This isn't to judge T-Mobile's offering; this is to provide a likely rationale for why AT&T is now doing what they're doing.

Secondly, according to what actual news materials AT&T has released, notice that each line (not group, in my understanding) carries a soft cap of 22GB before AT&T "may" enforce throttling. This is all comfortably ensconced within the verbiage talking about streaming (which is clearly what AT&T is going after here). If this is a per-line limit, that still far outweighs what AT&T charges on their current $100 Mobile Share plan; you can be the judge on that one.

Thirdly, they mention that while the base price is $100, which includes the pricing for the first smartphone on the plan, they're charging $40 per each additional smartphone. I'm not sure if the current $25 Mobile Share discount still applies. The fourth smartphone is free after two billing cycles, so you do pay at least $10/month more (assuming two smartphones on the same plan) after everything washes out (Next payments excluded). That would be $50 more with three smartphones and $80 more for the first two billing cycles for four. Apparently, tablets are no longer $10/month on this plan either; they're jacked up to $40 (or $10/month for 1GB), and even feature phones (any "relics" that don't use data) will be $25, also an increase.

We'll see the full details tomorrow.

Great advice because I pay $10 for each tablet, and $15 for each smartphone. We pay $100 for 15GB. (Plus the smartphones and tablets) So you have to figure out if paying what seems like alot more for each device offsets the mostly unlimited data. It would appear the less number of devices gives you a chance at a better deal. But if you pay $15 for a smartphone and have four of them and a tablet on the account, under the new unlimited plan you have increased your cost by $90 a month after getting the fourth smartphone free.

It will..From what I read in the articles, current DirecTV customers can get like $500 in bill credits to help them switch. I'm thinking about it. I currently have Sprint for the unlimited data but if I go too far outside of my home area the coverage is bad. Although I wonder if it's $100/month for only the plan and then add'l for the phone under AT&T Next, or the $100 factors in a phone payment too.

It'll be additional for each phone with AT&T Next, or you can pay for the phone(s) in full for no additional monthly cost. AT&T has done away with 2-year contracts like everyone else.

It'll be additional for each phone with AT&T Next, or you can pay for the phone(s) in full for no additional monthly cost. AT&T has done away with 2-year contracts like everyone else.

Ok, so $100 plus the phone. I may pass then. My Sprint bill comes to $91 after all the taxes and fees ($50 for talk/text/data, $32 for phone installment, then taxes)

Also of note in terms, if you cancel DIRECTV they remove your unlimited... You cannot stay on as grandfathered like the old unlimited plan.

I have a corporate discount with ATT Wireless. I tried previously at a ATT store to bundle wireless & satellite and had a problem due to the discount.
Currently I get 5 gig a month with rollover. I don't use all the 5 gig. So, I think I'll pass on unlimited.

There is always a charge per phone just to be clear, it's just how much. If you own your phones you pay what I posted - $15 smartphone, $10 tablet if you have a large enough data plan if not you pay more. Under Next you pay whatever term in addition to what you pick - monthly over a year or two years. My point is it is not just $100 unlimited, you have to add what ATT is charging per phone, and it appears it is $40. (not the present $15)

Also of note in terms, if you cancel DIRECTV they remove your unlimited... You cannot stay on as grandfathered like the old unlimited plan.
In addition it states: "No tethering or mobile hotpot use" which is on par with the "grandfathered" unlimited data plan I still have.

UnlimitedDataPlanChart_5_rp.jpg

Wow this is really tempting, but I think I have to stick with Sprint.

A lot of my data usage happens at work, and at work the Sprint tower is within eye sight. No [or poor] AT&T service anywhere on our property, unless you are one of the big shots in their wing of the building and are registered on our lone femtocell. Sprint's coverage has improved a lot here, but it's still not where I'd like it to be. We have no B26 lit up here, thanks to Canada. But if 90% of my usage comes where I have my best Sprint signal and extremely weak to no service on AT&T I guess it really doesn't make sense to switch. My Sprint plan for two smartphones with unlimited talk, text and data is $150. Coverage isn't that great where I live, but no provider is. A savings to $10, and better coverage overall really means nothing if service isn't acceptable where I use it the most.

Nice idea through. It's not often I have nice things to say about AT&T, but I have to give them credit on this one.

I have a corporate discount with ATT Wireless. I tried previously at a ATT store to bundle wireless & satellite and had a problem due to the discount.
Currently I get 5 gig a month with rollover. I don't use all the 5 gig. So, I think I'll pass on unlimited.

I have a corporate discount. I combined my bills online with no problem at all. I get my corporate discount (17%) plus the $10 per month discount for combined bill.

There is always a charge per phone just to be clear, it's just how much. If you own your phones you pay what I posted - $15 smartphone, $10 tablet if you have a large enough data plan if not you pay more. Under Next you pay whatever term in addition to what you pick - monthly over a year or two years. My point is it is not just $100 unlimited, you have to add what ATT is charging per phone, and it appears it is $40. (not the present $15)

The person I was quoting (harrisburgpatv) asked if the prices quoted for the unlimited plan included the cost of the phone equipment or if there would be an additional charge for the equipment under AT&T Next, not if there was a per line charge for each line of service (unless I misunderstood). There will be an additional cost per phone for AT&T next on top of the prices quoted for the unlimited plan, unless you pay for the phone in full up front.

Reactions: Tampa8
Did you have to call to combine the bills or can you do it online?

I did it online. Didn't have to call or speak to anyone. I did it a few months ago on the AT&T site. Once you link them you can no longer manage your DIRECTV account on the DIRECTV web site.

In addition it states: "No tethering or mobile hotpot use" which is on par with the "grandfathered" unlimited data plan I still have.

UnlimitedDataPlanChart_5_rp.jpg
...and that was the deal-killer for me.

We use our personal hot spot for occasional iPad use and for kids from time to time.

Not going backwards.

Reactions: Stargazer
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts