AT&T loses 620,000 video subs in Q1 as DirecTV deal moves ahead

In the last five years, AT&T’s TV services, which include DIRECTV, U-verse and AT&T TV, have lost a net of 9.5 million subscribers, plummeting from 25.3 million on March 31, 2016 to 15.8 million on March 31, 2021.

I would think this would convince AT&T to get and stay out of the Live TV Provider business no matter the cost.

In the last five years, AT&T’s TV services, which include DIRECTV, U-verse and AT&T TV, have lost a net of 9.5 million subscribers, plummeting from 25.3 million on March 31, 2016 to 15.8 million on March 31, 2021.

I would think this would convince AT&T to get and stay out of the Live TV Provider business no matter the cost.

You have to look at profit

Hey I am not old, I just don't want to flip to different apps to watch different shows or games. It's annoying. They all have different UIs. You have to "just know" what is where. It's not easy guide scrolling like Directv.

And I like to flip through channels sometimes when I can't find something. With my "clicker." I have always said remote. I have discovered many shows that way that I would have just skipped over based on a written description and a show poster picture. Netflix seems to be full of garbage but I think there are other unadvertised streaming service shows shows that I am missing that I could discover if they have a linear channel for their originals. I am not sure how to "just flip through" amazon prime.

Hey I am not old, I just don't want to flip to different apps to watch different shows or games. It's annoying. They all have different UIs. You have to "just know" what is where. It's not easy guide scrolling like Directv.

And I like to flip through channels sometimes when I can't find something. With my "clicker." I have always said remote. I have discovered many shows that way that I would have just skipped over based on a written description and a show poster picture. Netflix seems to be full of garbage but I think there are other unadvertised streaming service shows shows that I am missing that I could discover if they have a linear channel for their originals. I am not sure how to "just flip through" amazon prime.

I think what you're saying is reasonable, it's just that the bulk of younger folks, I would say under 35, almost all use a streaming device with apps now. Which kind of makes linear TV demise immenent

I think what you're saying is reasonable, it's just that the bulk of younger folks, I would say under 35, almost all use a streaming device with apps now. Which kind of makes linear TV demise immenent
I guess I better get used to it with wherever Sunday Ticket ends up.... I dread that day.
I only use the apps on my TV and Directv. Between games, HBO and the shows on Directv I do watch, and the few streaming shows I have watched, it's actually quite a few shows/games/news/TV time. Not sure I have much time for more!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
my oldest is 26 & my youngest is 17. neither watch regular tv. its all streaming. my oldest only watches tv on a tablet or his phone. that type of tv watching would drive me insane. i dread the day when all tv goes to apps. i need my old fashioned live tv & clicker. nothing quite like sitting down on the couch & browsing the guide. everything in one place. ill hold on to it until the bitter end :confused:

Eventually ... which would mean all TV would be internet based.
That will be a Sad day :(
Back when cable started..it looked like we would have tons of niche channels...instead we got a bunch of cookie cutter channls showing reality tv..they even destroyed the weather channel and cnn headline news...when all looks bleak...either someone will reinvent ota( like am radio managed to do) or some new " free" technology will come along that will upset the iptv gravy train..kinda like what happened in the record industry...in otherwords...iptv is much easier to pirate than old fashionec cable tv...by putting everything on the internet..just makes it easier to steal higher quality copies of movies and stuff...will be fun times

If not for sports.....
Seriously if not for sports, what purpose would Directv serve?

Really? No. Just the opposite.

If you are into a league, buy the out-of-market pack for it... MLB, NBA, NHL, stream every game but your the home team.

Soccer, you need ESPN+ for MLS and La Liga, Serie A, and FA Cup. Paramount+ for Champions and Europa League, and Peacock for EPL.

ESPN+ has you covered for college sports, stuff that you will never find on DirecTV or cable... lacrosse, softball/baseball, Div 2 or 3, etc.

Sunday Ticket for NFL, but you can get your home team OTA. You only need Sunday Ticket if you want a particular out-of-market team every week.

The only reason for DirecTV or cable is if you want to watch the home team, assuming they carry your RSN.

Streaming definitely offers much more for sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use the MLB.tv app to watch baseball on Roku, but the recent "wokenizing" of sports has made me completely indifferent to them. This is the first year I haven't purchased MLB.tv to watch baseball.

Really? No. Just the opposite.

If you are into a league, buy the out-of-market pack for it... MLB, NBA, NHL, stream every game but your the home team.

Soccer, you need ESPN+ for MLS and La Liga, Serie A, and FA Cup. Paramount+ for Champions and Europa League, and Peacock for EPL.

ESPN+ has you covered for college sports, stuff that you will never find on DirecTV or cable... lacrosse, softball/baseball, Div 2 or 3, etc.

Sunday Ticket for NFL, but you can get your home team OTA. You only need Sunday Ticket if you want a particular out-of-market team every week.

The only reason for DirecTV or cable is if you want to watch the home team, assuming they carry your RSN.

Streaming definitely offers much more for sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe like me, we have slow internet, or have very low caps...Its not that simple in rural America!

Reactions: Waterman