AT&T Plans to End Their Satellite DIRECTV & Focus on Streaming

I said that same thing in 2002 and my friends thought I was drunk lol
Here's a prediction.

NFL, MLB, RSNs will never walk away from the cash cow they currently have.

It's the only reason they're able to go berserk and pay those insane salaries.

Here's a prediction.

NFL, MLB, RSNs will never walk away from the cash cow they currently have.

It's the only reason they're able to go berserk and pay those insane salaries.
MLB is already moving away from the network cash cow. They broadcast much of the content and use MLB.TV to replace the cash cow of selling the rights to networks.

NHL appears to be doing the same with NHL Channel and NHL.TV

MLB is already moving away from the network cash cow. They broadcast much of the content and use MLB.TV to replace the cash cow of selling the rights to networks.

Not at all. MLB.tv and NHL.tv only provide out of market subscriptions; they give you the ability to see games for which there are no local or national broadcast rights holder conflicts.

You can't watch your local team on those streaming services, because your local regional sports network has negotiated and paid for exclusive local broadcast rights for the team. You also can't watch national games (ESPN / FOX Sports1 / NBCSN) on those streaming services, because the leagues have also sold exclusive national broadcast rights.

Reactions: pattykay
Not at all. MLB.tv and NHL.tv only provide out of market subscriptions; they give you the ability to see games for which there are no local or national broadcast rights holder conflicts.

You can't watch your local team on those streaming services, because your local regional sports network has negotiated and paid for exclusive local broadcast rights for the team. You also can't watch national games (ESPN / FOX Sports1 / NBCSN) on those streaming services, because the leagues have also sold exclusive national broadcast rights.

I thought they added the option to view your in-market team for an additional $10/mo

Nope. You can pay a bit less and get a single out-of-market team instead of all out-of-market teams, but it can't be your local team in any case.

MLB.TV has new, reduced price

Subscribe

Blackout rules very much still apply:

MLB.TV Blackouts FAQ

NHL.com - Gamecenter Live FAQ

Lawsuit settlement lowers MLB.tv price, adds some in-market streaming

A new feature called "Follow Your Team" will allow you watch in-market games if you subscribe to your local regional sports network, however only the road broadcast will be available. That costs an extra $10

A new feature called "Follow Your Team" will allow you watch in-market games if you subscribe to your local regional sports network, however only the road broadcast will be available. That costs an extra $10
It doesn't work the way that article states though, it just allows you to watch an out-of-market team broadcast if they happen to come to your local market.

In the end, the only people served by the add-on to the base MLB.tv package were those fans of a non-market team living in another team’s market. Under the old setup, a Cubs fan living in Miami would have been blacked out when the Cubs came to town to play the Marlins. With FYT, that fan would be able to watch all three of those games for $10 more. Awesome.

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2017/04...re-still-stinks-misses-opportunity-grow-fans/

If you authenticate that you have a local cable/satellite subscription *AND* you subscribe to MLB.tv *AND* pay the extra $10, you will be allowed to watch the away team broadcast instead of having to watch the local team broadcast.

For now that is true, but MLB has changed how it manages broadcast rights. Last year the only national blacked out games were the Sunday night broadcasts, all other games were available on MLB.TV. As old rights packages expire MLB is negotiating the new ones so that MLB.TV can stream them.

The NHL is not there yet but seems to be moving that way. This year the games on NHL Channel are not blacked out on NHL.TV, that is a change. Rumors are that when the network package, currently NBC, comes up for renegotiation they may also eliminate those blackouts.

The RSN contracts are trickier as those are managed by the local teams and expire at different times, MLB.TB wants to have the ability to stream local broadcasts but that has to be in the contract. I haven't heard about what NHL.TV is doing about streaming local games.

Both leagues are moving away from the old model of the revenue coming from large national contracts and going more towards streaming as a revenue source.

Next step is to sell directly to consumers

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Its fans who can't afford anymore will be the issue

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
My local team the sucky Mariners don't depend on fan revenue to keep the doors open.

They own Root Sports Network and have been milking the cow for years and that will continue.

This is one of the most dispirited fan bases in MLB but the profits keeps rolling in.

It would take divine intervention to pry that away from the Mariners.

My local team the sucky Mariners don't depend on fan revenue to keep the doors open.

They own Root Sports Network and have been milking the cow for years and that will continue.

This is one of the most dispirited fan bases in MLB but the profits keeps rolling in.

It would take divine intervention to pry that away from the Mariners.

Clarification: they own Root Sports Network Northwest.

Clarification: they own Root Sports Network Northwest.

It's interesting to me that the Mariners have a 60% ownership of Root Sports, with the other 40% owned by Turner Broadcasting. In my market, Fox Sports Midwest and Fox Sports Kansas City are (or were) 100% owned by Fox. Of course, now that Fox was purchased by Disney then subsequently ordered to divest all the FS networks, who knows what will happen.

It's interesting to me that the Mariners have a 60% ownership of Root Sports, with the other 40% owned by Turner Broadcasting. In my market, Fox Sports Midwest and Fox Sports Kansas City are (or were) 100% owned by Fox. Of course, now that Fox was purchased by Disney then subsequently ordered to divest all the FS networks, who knows what will happen.

Amazon reportedly is the top bidder.

Amazon bids for Disney's 22 regional sports networks, including YES Network, sources say

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)