AT&T starts metering data usage.

How much of your usage is WIFI? I try to keep it on the WIFI at home as much as possible. Dosent count for your ATT usage,

It's still a joke.
15 dollars for 200meg
25 dollars for 2gig
10 dollars for each gig over.
How in the blue h#ll is 200meg costing more than 1 gig.

I just looked at my data usage on the AT&T website...

The data only goes back to November 09...

Nov 09 - 546 MB
Dec 09 - 334 MB
JAN 10 - 710 MB
Feb 10 - 575 MB
Mar 10 - 641 MB
Apr 10 - 236 MB
May 10 - 756 MB

I was surprised as I figured I was one of those folks who was near or over 2 GB a month in data use.
You would be amazed at how little bandwidth these phones use

This honestly doesn't bother me because existing subscribers are grandfathered in (just like voice plans).

If I was on the fence about getting an iPad, this announcement would spur me to get one before it goes into effect. I can see a lot more data intensive usage on one of those and $25 for 2 gigs is way worse than $29.99 for unlimited.

I wish those plans were for verizon, my wife would be the 15 dollar one,and I would be the 25 dollar one as I pretty much use the same bandwidth as Scott (web surfing, streaming radio).

This plus the fact the Iphone can not tether to the Ipad but other phones can. aka android just makes me smile at all the Apple fanboys

sundrop said:
Indeed, as a moto droid user on verizon. I stream slacker almost daily for about 10-12 hours a day. I surf the web, I am always downloading new roms using rom manager. I think I hit maybe 2 gb a month one time. If I can use my phone to the max. I see why people who blow 5+gb on a "phone" should be forced to pay more....maybe then my rate will go down and not have to pay for there bandwidth.

I do similar with my moto droid and now go to 2.5gb. Not sure I could hit 5gb though.

AT&T is coming under criticism now for the $20 tethering charge when there is only a 2GB limit. With the normal laptop connect card it is a 5GB limit. Some are upset that the $20 fee is just a profit fee without any merit (sounds like a Dish move). They should at least throw in a couple GB of data.

I understand the need for metered pricing. There is just so much 3G spectrum. WiFi takes care of most my data needs. They do not want people replacing their home internet connection with 3G. But, when they just charge $20 for no reason, it does not look good.

It's still a joke.
15 dollars for 200meg
25 dollars for 2gig
10 dollars for each gig over.
How in the blue h#ll is 200meg costing more than 1 gig.

Does this go for the network cards for laptops as well? They were charging $59 before. With the new plan it would be $55 (if you hit 5 GB per month) and be less per GB than what it would have been before. Still pretty pricey in a way if you use a lot of bandwidth but would be a big improvement and be more competitive to satellite broadband.

Since I got my Droid, here is what mine has been. :shocked

February 1,189,506
March 1,833,496
April 2,195,050
May 2,621,744

Mine runs mid month to mid month

Feb-213,000 In 12 Days after switching from BB Tour
March-712,909
April-1,097,719
May-2,093,933
May 18-June 3-1,187,185.99

Mine will be near 2-2.5GB I am sure with streaming of Sirius Radio now.

i do go over 2GB most all the time..streaming slacker and pandora, sirius xm app.
i will keep my unlimited plan...i don't even want to have to think about data usage or have it be an issue...isn't there enough crap to keep up with. if they take away the unlimited plan i will not have any data plan and just use wifi. wifi is everywhere now.

i do go over 2GB most all the time..streaming slacker and pandora, sirius xm app.
i will keep my unlimited plan...i don't even want to have to think about data usage or have it be an issue...isn't there enough crap to keep up with. if they take away the unlimited plan i will not have any data plan and just use wifi. wifi is everywhere now.

if you are with verizon that will not be an option, and I believe pretty much every other carrier says if you have a smartphone you have to be on a data plan of some sorts.

Something still fishy about AT&T numbers.
How can everyone data numbers look the same once people went back and checked, yet subs on other carriers doing the exact same thing average 2 to 3 gigs? I average 1 gig and Its mostly from picture upload and video upload.
People who stream music all day and sling video average less than I?

Not only does this not bother me, I will be changing to the $15 dollar plan. My highest data month over the past year was 91 MB... And I use an iPhone.

I'm around Wi-Fi and computers everywhere I am all day long.

I am looking forward to saving the money.

For me I would rather just pay the 30.00 for unlimited data and not even have to worry about going over. 5.00 or 10.00 per month is absolutely nothing in terms of money. This is the year 2010 and you can't go through the mcdonalds drive thru and get crappy fast foo for 10.00. It's just not real savings and it's going to create overage charges for AT&T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts