Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg

Unlike the Flames, this time it's all about ownership failure with the Thrashers. "Dysfunctional" doesn't even begin to touch it. They had people suing others within the ownership group. This would be no different from Jim DeFranco suing Charlie Ergen over some kind of acquisition that Ergen made.

Luckily for the hockey fans in Winnipeg, they won't have to deal with these chumps for owners.

Last edited:
GM Ken Holland has been talking for several years about the Wings trying to get back in the Eastern side of things.

Hell, it would be like a vacation for the Wings ..... the lack of travel would be awesome, they would be able to get rid of RedBird 2 !
Maybe re-brand it for the Tigers.

I think that the Nashville Predators will move to the East before the Red Wings do.

I would love to see Columbus move to the East. They may actually have a chance to make the playoffs over there.

I think that the Nashville Predators will move to the East before the Red Wings do.
After looking at the current alignment, I'd have to agree.

IF there is realignment, this is a possibility................

*Nashville replaces Atlanta in the Southeast Division (Eastern Conference)

*Dallas replaces Nashville in the Central Division

*Colorado replaces Dallas in the Pacific Division

*Winnipeg replaces Colorado in the Northwest Division

old building and a weak Canadian dollar

The Canadian teams pay the players in US $$ but take in CAD $$.

Not to diminish the point but the Canadian dollar is worth almost as much as a US dollar right now. It does provide a nice advantage (for the moment) when paying in US dollars for salary and getting Canadian dollars for revenue. And the MTS centre has been upgraded - maybe not NHL standard but better

Last edited:
Not to diminish the point but the Canadian dollar is worth more than a US dollar right now. It does provide a nice advantage (for the moment) when paying in US dollars for salary and getting Canadian dollars for revenue. And the MTS centre has been upgraded - maybe not NHL standard but better

Updated????.....It will be 7 years old next month. Its a awesome arena. Only downfall it only has a capacity of 15,000 for hockey....so ticket prices will have to be adjusted to compete with other teams with larger rinks.

That is true - it will be the smallest venue in the NHL - and sorry I should have been clearer - I really meant an upgrade over the Winnipeg Arena (although I vaguely remember Mike Keane talking about the wonderful changes in Winnipeg with the Moose and the arena on Hockey Day in Canada this year but I can't locate that)

Unfortunately, this would make tooo much sense, so it will NEVER happen.

Updated????.....It will be 7 years old next month. Its a awesome arena. Only downfall it only has a capacity of 15,000 for hockey....so ticket prices will have to be adjusted to compete with other teams with larger rinks.

How much larger are most rinks, The Joe, although it is very old now holds 19,000 I believe.
I doubt that when Mr. I builds the new digs for the Wings that it will be increased by very much, I would guess it would hold 22-24,000 at most.

BillD1984 said:

Speculation around here is saying The CBJ so they can have a rivalry with Pittsburgh.

Sent from my Galaxy s using SatelliteGuys

This is outstanding news. Little boys all over Canada run downstairs Christmas morning to see if Santa brought them a new stick, a new uniform of their favorite team, a new Sydney Crosby poster, tickets to a game, etc.

Bring hockey back where it belongs.

Sandra

We get reports, speculation, that the team's gone. And there's no deal. I can tell you that with certainty that there is no deal for this team to move. Am I predicting that there will never be or that there won't be at some point in time? No, I'm not saying there is or there isn't.

Bettman, who fielded calls from Thrashers fans on his show, said the league will consider moving a team only when there is no owner willing to keep the team in its current city.

"The key to this may be, in the final analysis, whether or not somebody wants to own the team in Atlanta," Bettman said. "In the absence of either the current ownership group continuing to own and operate or somebody stepping forward who wants to buy the club, that becomes the situation that concerns us or any sports league.

"We'll only leave a market -- in this case Atlanta, picking up on the caller's statements -- if we have to. And hopefully the current ownership group will figure a way out of this that makes sense for everybody."

--NHL commisioner Gary Bettman

Well Gary, it's been two years and no one has stepped forward yet....

Bettman: Thrashers to Winnipeg not a done deal - ESPN

Not to diminish the point but the Canadian dollar is worth almost as much as a US dollar right now. It does provide a nice advantage (for the moment) when paying in US dollars for salary and getting Canadian dollars for revenue.

I'm aware of it. When I had my Canadian system it was like 65-68 cents to the dollar. That was nice :)

How much larger are most rinks, The Joe, although it is very old now holds 19,000 I believe.
I doubt that when Mr. I builds the new digs for the Wings that it will be increased by very much, I would guess it would hold 22-24,000 at most.

most arenas are in the 18k area.
Checking it out the 2 smallest arenas currently are Nassau Colosseum (16250) and Rexall Place (aka the Oil Tank) at 16839

The Joe actually seats over 20K
Bell Centre is the largest 21273

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)